Hi! New and trying to get the food part right

Options
My name is Melissa and I found out about this site/app from an article in the Chicago Tribune this past weekend. I thought I'd give this a try and see if I can work on the "diet" portion of diet and exercise.

I'm a mom to three kids, 4, 3 and 2 years old. *whew* You'd think I'd lose weight chasing after them -- not! I gained weight throughout all three pregnancies, not eating smart or exercising and using having babies as an excuse to eat without restrictions. I'm 5' 2.5" and topped at 160lbs, very unhappy with my belly fat and not being able to see my feet when I looked down. My older sister bought me the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred for my birthday because she was doing it and wanted to share her success, but even then I wasn't motivated until I saw her two months later, looking leaner than me. I didn't want to look the way I did anymore and got serious about making life changes. I started the 30-day Shred in March, combined it with cardio and as of today, July 9th, I've lost 22 pounds. I look better, need to buy a new belt and pants that aren't so baggy, but still want to trim the love handles and belly fat that aren't as bad as they were four months ago.

I was interested in the calorie counter on this site/app and was using a similar one on www.livestrong.com. For some reason, this one seems easier to use so I think I'm sticking to it. My goal weight is 125 lbs by September (two months). I think I can do it!

I wanted to say hello to you all and hope to learn a lot from others that have "been there." Ciao!

Replies

• tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the success! It is motivating to hear success like yours :) I am 5'1" and am 155, my goal weight is also around 125...I feel like I am never going to get there...when you were doing the Shred, were you also watching calories? By adding friends, you are able to check out what others are logging in their journals, hopefully you will stick with this and share some of your secrets lol!
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and good luck on your goals! You can do it!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your journey. I started MFP last month and absolutely LOVE it so far!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    welcome! This sit alone will keep you motivated. Good luck and you will reach your goal in no time....
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on what you have done so far!!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    At first I wasn't watching calories when I started the Shred, so I learned by trial and error, by reading articles about eating better, and by realizing that whatever I eat, I'm going to have to work it off if my body hasn't burned away the calories it does while in a static state. I am not an expert calorie counter at all! I am trying to stay within my range (1200) but am able to see from the charts that I end up eating around 1400 realistically. It helps me to make better food choices.

I also stopped drinking Coke, which was something I never thought I could do, ever. EVER. But I did, and I feel good about it now. :)

And I stopped snacking after 10pm.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! We are about the same height and starting weight. Please read the links under my ticker. I hope it gives you the inspiration you need and the motivation to stick with it. You CAN do this! If this 43 year old mother of 2 can do it... so can you. :) Good luck!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Bjohs, thanks for posting. Love the links. And you are smokin' HOT! :) My journey sounds very similar to yours, I'm 38 and had to make lifestyle changes. I hope to learn a lot from here, and I've already learned a ton (and am motivated and inspired) from you!