Atkins Diet

Options
Hey All,

I am going to start on the 2 week Induction on the Atkins Diet on Monday - anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Replies

• Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You are free to subscribe to any particular diet theory that you wish, but the Atkins Diet is based on unsupported premises. 2000 calories if good fat = 2000 calories of carbs. Your brain is an obligate glucose user. This means that it can only metabolize glucose (carbohydrate). If you do not fulfill the brain's needs, you will begin using inefficient ketone bodies as brain food. These can be toxic to your body at higher concentrations. This is known as ketoacidosis; this is a dangerous symptom of diabetes and a result of high fat metabolism in the brain.

My advice is to eliminate processed sugars and to rely on natural sugar sources such as fruits and some vegetables (carrots, parsnips etc). Eat food you prepare more than that which a company prepared for you.

In any case, good luck with whatever you chose!!!
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have done the diet myself and it literally made me sick. Just keep in mind to drink plenty of water and try not to do it so hardcore because it is not good for your body. I recommend reading this article before you do it. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/19/earlyshow/health/main584585.shtml
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I would also look in to Primal or Paleo....I think they are a much better choice than Atkins.
    http://huntgatherlove.com/content/paleo-vs-primal-vs-atkins
    http://paleohacks.com/questions/4034/whats-the-difference-between-atkins-and-the-paleo-diet#axzz1Hg1MTT54

Check out the links some great info :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

I am going to start on the 2 week Induction on the Atkins Diet on Monday - anyone have any advice or suggestions?

This is a difficult place to talk about Atkins because so many people are against it. It's been called a fad, but it's been around for over 30 years and that's the very opposite of the definition of a "fad". It's been called bad for you, but it's not. I could go on and on. The truth of the matter is, Atkins is a very good LIFESTYLE, especially for people who need to control their blood sugar and watch their carbs anyway. I've always had great success with it when I've eaten that way in the past to lose weight and to maintain that loss. Why I'm not eating that way now is a long story....

Anyway, the MFP app and diary are a great place to track your food intake, but I might suggest the Atkins forums if you're looking for some good support regarding their plan.
  • missmilarae0213
    missmilarae0213 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I abide by an atkins diet because that's what *MY* metabolism burns best (and trust me, I've tried them all.) After years of bulimia, my body doesn't process carbs anymore. Just make sure you're eating by the plan which includes half of your Induction carbs from vegetable sources. I eat a lot of spinach, avocado, mushrooms, squash and zuchinni, olives, and artichokes.

People give atkins a lot of flack because they assume all you eat is fatty meats and cheeses. Don't buy into it. In fact, Atkins avoids sugary preprocessed foods. Fats are unlimited but supposed to be kept in check. I find that I'm less hungry and full longer anyway. Once you get into OWL like me, you can add natural sugars (fruits) and nuts. I find myself snacking on Natural Almonds, Berries and even a piece or two of Dove's dark chocolate (5 net carbs.)

If you need a support buddy, add me! Do what works for you, though. I eat 40 net carbs a day. (induction has you at 20). I lost 10.2 lbs. last week without starving or intense craving and without excessive exercise. (in fact I didn't work out at all last week.)

Good luck! :)
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about Atkins. I have seen great things with my uncles, my cousin, and my mom. Unfortunately, except for my uncles, who have made low-carb eating a life habit, my cousin and my mom have gained most of the weight back. I tried it and found I had to seriously modify to eat more carbs because it triggered my migraines that I get as part of PCOS. It really is next to impossible to sustain the induction phase for someone who is seriously obese long enough to get to the maintenance (reality) phase. I know with PCOS I have to cut back on my carbs, but Atkins is too extreme for me. If you do try it, remember to make sure you get enough potassium, because leg cramps are nothing fun to deal with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    When I was obese I was desperate to lose weight. nothing was working and my doctor suggested a low carb diet. I followed atkins induction very closely for 2 weeks and I lost 14lbs. Atkins doesnt want you to stay on that 2 weeks forever and that is where it gets the bad name. The two weeks gets you off sugar, boosts your metabolism, and burns your fat for fuel rather than calories. I learned alot from atkins. I learned the right carbs to eat and that you need fat to lose weight in your diet. I used to eat zero fat!! I also learned the value of protein in your diet. I am close to my goal weight now and I do not follow "atkins" now but I have taken everything I learned into my everyday living now. I eat lots of fiber, 2-3 servings of whole grains, some fat and sugar in moderation, and protein in every meal even snacks. Most of my carbs now are from fruits and veggies rather than when i was obese. Good luck!!
  • Gojira74
    Gojira74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "I eat lots of fiber, 2-3 servings of whole grains, some fat and sugar in moderation, and protein in every meal even snacks. Most of my carbs now are from fruits and veggies rather than when i was obese. Good luck!! "

This!!
  • SassyStef
    Options
    You are free to subscribe to any particular diet theory that you wish, but the Atkins Diet is based on unsupported premises. 2000 calories if good fat = 2000 calories of carbs. Your brain is an obligate glucose user. This means that it can only metabolize glucose (carbohydrate). If you do not fulfill the brain's needs, you will begin using inefficient ketone bodies as brain food. These can be toxic to your body at higher concentrations. This is known as ketoacidosis; this is a dangerous symptom of diabetes and a result of high fat metabolism in the brain.

My advice is to eliminate processed sugars and to rely on natural sugar sources such as fruits and some vegetables (carrots, parsnips etc). Eat food you prepare more than that which a company prepared for you.

In any case, good luck with whatever you chose!!!

I dont know if I misread your post but Ketoacidosis is about SUGAR metabolism NOT FAT!
    Here is a great article by Dr Emily Deans
    "Your Brain on Ketones"
    How a high-fat diet can help the brain work better
    http://www.psychologytoday​.com/blog/evolutionary-psy​chiatry/201104/your-brain-​ketones
  • SassyStef
    Options
    When I was obese I was desperate to lose weight. nothing was working and my doctor suggested a low carb diet. I followed atkins induction very closely for 2 weeks and I lost 14lbs. Atkins doesnt want you to stay on that 2 weeks forever and that is where it gets the bad name. The two weeks gets you off sugar, boosts your metabolism, and burns your fat for fuel rather than calories. I learned alot from atkins. I learned the right carbs to eat and that you need fat to lose weight in your diet. I used to eat zero fat!! I also learned the value of protein in your diet. I am close to my goal weight now and I do not follow "atkins" now but I have taken everything I learned into my everyday living now. I eat lots of fiber, 2-3 servings of whole grains, some fat and sugar in moderation, and protein in every meal even snacks. Most of my carbs now are from fruits and veggies rather than when i was obese. Good luck!!

Love to read these!! So great that plp are figuring out they can great carbs for frutis and veggies rather than breads and pastas! Great job with you weight loss :smile:
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options

Love to read these!! So great that plp are figuring out they can great carbs for frutis and veggies rather than breads and pastas! Great job with you weight loss :smile:
    hey thanks! congrats on your weight loss as well!! Yeah, I feel so much better eating this way and I hardly have any cravings or sugar crashes.