Healthy food you can't stand -- and your alternatives

Options
withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
I can't stand blueberries. Their flavor is okay, but their texture is just wrong for the flavor. So what do I eat instead? Blackberries and raspberries.

How about you?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Broccoli. Do you know that it seems like broccoli is in EVERYTHING you buy pre-made. I don't buy a ton of pre-made stuff, but sometimes I'm tired and I want something quick. Broccoli everywhere. YUCK.

I don't mind cauliflower.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, there are days in late summer when I literally eat nothing but blueberries all day long. Seriously.

Anyway, I don't like cooked carrots at all. Raw carrots I eat almost daily; cooked carrots are blech. When I roast a chicken with veggies, I include mushrooms and bell pepper slices instead.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Despise brown rice and quinoa:sad: I love brown rice pilaf,wild rice and cous cous:bigsmile:
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    green beans!!!! this also includes anything like a green bean, like yellow, wax string...etc. omg, they make me gag i hate them so much. and they seem to be in any kind of vegetable mix, vegetable soup....basically anything that has more than one vegetable! lol. it's that combo of flavour and texture. and yes, i have tried them several different ways, cause i know preperation can make a difference. but nothing i have tried has won me over. although i know tastes change over time, so i occasionally try them again to see if my tastes have changed, specially since so many people i know love them.

ug, i got the shivers just thinking about eating one right now :P

i like most other veggies, so no specific substitute here.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    green beans!!!! this also includes anything like a green bean, like yellow, wax string...etc. omg, they make me gag i hate them so much. and they seem to be in any kind of vegetable mix, vegetable soup....basically anything that has more than one vegetable! lol. it's that combo of flavour and texture. and yes, i have tried them several different ways, cause i know preperation can make a difference. but nothing i have tried has won me over. although i know tastes change over time, so i occasionally try them again to see if my tastes have changed, specially since so many people i know love them.

ug, i got the shivers just thinking about eating one right now :P

i like most other veggies, so no specific substitute here.
    Haha! That reminds me, I can't stand BLACK beans, but green ones and peas are a-okay!
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Ahhh, there are days in late summer when I literally eat nothing but blueberries all day long. Seriously.

Anyway, I don't like cooked carrots at all. Raw carrots I eat almost daily; cooked carrots are blech. When I roast a chicken with veggies, I include mushrooms and bell pepper slices instead.

Oh yeah. Cooked carrots. BLECH. It's like eating SLOP! I love raw carrots though.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I thought of another one - Oatmeal. I despise oatmeal. It makes me feel like I'm eating cat vomit. *gag*

I do love Cream of Wheat and Cocoa Wheats though. :)
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lima beans!!! I don't know how anyone could like those things! I love every other veggie out there. Even okra...
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I honestly cannot stand the flavor green beans, cabbage, radishes and beets make me want to hurl, Alot of veggies just are not meant for me to eat. So I am a very picky eater when it comes to fruits and veggies. I have been know to force myself to eat veggies and fruit that I don't like. But it takes me forever to get them down.

I do like potatoes alot. I eat alot of sweet potatoes because they have less starch. I love rice, so I had to switch to brown rice, and I love pinto beans.

I eat cucumber, bell pepper, and onions as a salad with tomatoes everyday. It makes me feel like I am doing my body good.

Green beans, absolutely not, no, no, no. I don't even like looking at them.

So what are good alternatives when you are such a picky eater like me?
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    carrots but I love turnip, sweet potatoes and parsnips:smile:
    I am one of the strange people who loves lima beans
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I thought of another one - Oatmeal. I despise oatmeal. It makes me feel like I'm eating cat vomit. *gag*

I do love Cream of Wheat and Cocoa Wheats though. :)

Oh my gosh, I know. When I eat oatmeal, I am sick for days. I am so glad I am gluten intolerant, and I am not expected to eat it ever. Thank you Lord for food allergies. I can't even stand the way it smells. Yuck!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cottage cheese. My hubby LOVES the stuff. I will eat it if it is paired with strawberries but I do not enjoy it.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    Broccoli. Do you know that it seems like broccoli is in EVERYTHING you buy pre-made. I don't buy a ton of pre-made stuff, but sometimes I'm tired and I want something quick. Broccoli everywhere. YUCK.

I don't mind cauliflower.

This is a favorite food of mine and I recently found out raw broccoli is a fat burner! <3
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not like lamb so I just do not eat it. I cannot think of any kind of fruit or vegetable I do not like.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    cottage cheese and tomatoes!
  • meliffy18
    meliffy18 Posts: 13
    Options
    I can't stand cottage cheese.

Me neither!! This stuff makes me gag. I've tried SO many times to choke it down but I just can't do it. First I thought it was the saltiness but I tried the salt-free version and NOPE, still nasty. Tried adding fruit, that didn't help either. The only time I will eat it is when I put it in my protein pancakes cuz you can't even tell it's in there.

I'll eat plain Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese any day!
  • highdesertgirl
    Options
    ooooh I hate the texture and mushiness of cooked oatmeal. But I am love eating it RAW, espec the flavored packets liike maple and brown sugar!!
  • Shouldabeenaninja
    Shouldabeenaninja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    omg you guys! LOL This is funny. It makes me want to go eat some dang cake. LOL jk

I hate sauer kraut...that's pretty much it. I never tried hummus until the other day because it always looked/sounded disgusting...lol but it wasn't that bad! Oh, and I agree with the cottage cheese. I can't bring myself to ever even try it because of the name and how it's made. Gross!!!:(
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hmmm raw otmeal i didnt know that was ok to do? lol

i also can not stand cooked carrots bbut love them raw, i cannot stand to think about spinache or cooked cabbage yuck
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese...ughh it's so gross, feels like I up-chucked in my mouth ( which I normally do if I decide to try it )!!
    I don't have any substitutes for it, I just stay away!! I'm not a big fan of tomatoes either (My husband eats cottage cheese and tomato combo..ugh makes me wanna vomit..he probably does it on purpose)