Speed Bump (aka The Weekends)

Options
Kekibird
Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
The weekend is here and I'm 4 days into logging my food and watching what I eat, how much and when I eat.

I've done good :::pat, pat, pat:::

But now the weekend is here and this is where I trip up. EVERY. TIME.

And when I trip, I feel awful and tend to not get back up.

It seems to me I can't find a middle ground. It's either all or nothing. I either monitor everything, log everything and really over manage my eating.

OR I don't do anything. Don't log, don't manage my portions. Don't care.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on finding that middle ground. How to be able to go out, eat, enjoy but not let it derail my progress.

I have four days under my belt. I want to stick with it. I don't want to lose ground here....

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I log my food before I go. Yeah, it sounds weird but I get to look at menus and make choices beforehand and hopefully those are better than if I hadn't looked. Also, I find you just can't deny yourself. Have your cake but log it too. If you're over, you're over. I don't look at it as failure but simply not succeeding as much as I wanted to. Good luck!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Its not everyones answer but i allow myself one day a week( saturdays) to eat wot i want to it hasn't affected me yet - i work hard the rest of the week and stick just under my daily goal. Good luck. xx
  • okrockon
    okrockon Posts: 25
    Options
    Is it because you're going out? I like the men's health series, "eat this, not that". Look up a menu before you go out to eat, strategize and still have a good time. Have a set goal of how many cals to eat in each meal. Aim for that when deciding what to eat. It isn't easy, but not impossible either. This is a life change, doesn't happen overnight! Just make the decision to get back up every time you fall.
  • LauriTerrell
    LauriTerrell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue in the past... now I focus on doing the best that I can and being patient with myself. Remember, we are human, it is normal to not be perfect. Allow yourself those imperfections and be gentle with yourself. You make one decision now and another one in the next minute. Focus on making the best decision in the here an now and moving on. Don't dwell on the mistakes, just move forward. Successful decisions make you feel great, the more you make, the better you feel and it just builds... Best of luck to you... you CAN do it!
  • princess_elle
    Options
    Sometimes I log my food before I go. Yeah, it sounds weird but I get to look at menus and make choices beforehand and hopefully those are better than if I hadn't looked.

I like to do the same thing! My husband likes to eat out a lot, so I always look at the nutritional menus online before we go. It really does make you more aware of your choices, and you will discover that you can still eat out and have a tasty meal that isn't going to kill you. If you had a bad weekend, just remember to pick yourself up on Monday and take another go at it. You might find that you didn't do as bad as you thought.
    Hang in there!!
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find myself most of the time not being under my goal on the weekends... or during the week if my boyfriend and I are both home (so its like a weekend). He likes to go out to eat and eat whatever he wants--- a ton of whatever he wants. After I made it through the first weekend, the second weekend was easier. I'm only on my third weekend, but I'm learning... slowly. He just called and said he wanted to go out tonight, so I hopped on the treadmill to give myself some extra indugence :-D. I try to be aware, and if I indulge a little- I do just that. A little. I've been a member for a long time, and I kept logging all of it, or none of it. Its been three weeks now- the longest I've stuck with it, and I'm getting more and more comfortable in making good choices.

Do your best, and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up, or it will be a month before you come back...at least thats how it is for me.
  • Kekibird
    Options
    My family is planning on dinner out tonight for my grandmother's birthday. I went to the menu of the restaurant to plan.

Then my parents invited me over for some drinks after. More calories....

I think, as suggested, I need to work on being gentle with myself. It's probably more about my feelings and about my confidence in myself, that I deserve this than eating. Maybe......

Blerg, I hope I can maintain today so that I don't give up tomorrow.
  • Kekibird
    Options
    I've been a member for a long time, and I kept logging all of it, or none of it. Its been three weeks now- the longest I've stuck with it, and I'm getting more and more comfortable in making good choices.

Do your best, and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up, or it will be a month before you come back...at least thats how it is for me.

Congrats on your three weeks!! I'm hoping this is the start of a longer period of time logging for myself, too!
  • Kekibird
    Options
    I have had the same issue in the past... now I focus on doing the best that I can and being patient with myself. Remember, we are human, it is normal to not be perfect. Allow yourself those imperfections and be gentle with yourself. You make one decision now and another one in the next minute. Focus on making the best decision in the here an now and moving on. Don't dwell on the mistakes, just move forward. Successful decisions make you feel great, the more you make, the better you feel and it just builds... Best of luck to you... you CAN do it!

I really really appreciate this. It's hard to remember to be gentle with myself and yet it's something I say to my son EVERYDAY. Be gentle.....be gentle.

That should be my motto.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I'm new to this - but last weekend we had a friend over - I had a great weekend - but didn't log a thing - none of the wine, meals out or anything.......

Today we went out for a nice long walk, had a lunch out, salad for dinner and have enjoyed a few vodka's tonight...and I'm still way under my goal....all because we went for a walk this morning.

Is there any way you can get in a little extra exercise during the weekends that will give you those few extra calories to have some more fun?

I think it takes time to learn the right choices...but we will all get there. Look on this as a lifestyle change, not as a short term diet....enjoy everything you want to - just in moderation :smile:
  • Kekibird
    Options
    Is there any way you can get in a little extra exercise during the weekends that will give you those few extra calories to have some more fun?

I think it takes time to learn the right choices...but we will all get there. Look on this as a lifestyle change, not as a short term diet....enjoy everything you want to - just in moderation :smile:

Normally, I'd be right on this and jogging to get that extra room. But sadly I'm dealing with some medical issues that are keeping me grounded. I've been doing weights at home to at least have movement but too much and I'm in serious pain. I have tests scheduled the rest of this month to figure out what's wrong.
  • Kekibird
    Options
    Alright, I'm taking a little from everyone.

I'm going to burn a few calories, I've pre-logged my dinner choice and I'm upping my water.

And I'm going to be gentle with myself.

Now to stick to my plan and not beat myself up if I go a wee bit off.
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My speed bump is aka my husband! I love him dearly but he makes it difficult sometimes,...
  • Kekibird
    Options
    So funny story. I planned for my night out with family. I pre-logged and figured out what to have to keep it low on the calories.

BUT I didn't really look well enough at the menu because I chose a low calories option without any dairy that just happened to have sesame seeds in the ingredients. Bummer because I'm allergic to them.

So there I am, sitting at the table ready to order my pre-planned meal and I get the menu where I read that there are sesame seeds included :sad:

Luckily I remembered some other menu options and ended up with a half salad, dressing on the side with no candied walnuts and with sauteed salmon. So yummy and totally worth every bite!!!

AND.......I didn't have ANY of the appetizers! Now I have a little wiggle room for a night time latte. My dad makes the best lattes!
  • LauriTerrell
    LauriTerrell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh no, bummer on the sesame seeds, but you sound like you adjusted with amazing results! Keep up the good work and remember that you are worth it... :wink: