Red Meat Lovers!

Options
For those of us who love red meat - burgers, steaks - but hate the fat and other garbage that comes with it, give bison meat a try. A friend recently told me about bison burgers and steaks. You can get them at shop rite or wherever you go in the meat section. There is virtually no fat, maybe 2-3 grams. Very little sodium, less than 100mg per burger. And honestly they taste so much better than a normal burger. I had a regular burger yesterday and I was pretty upset and just bored with it. I was hoping every bite turned into bison haha. Anyways, hope this helps some of you.

Replies

• Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    I buy elk steaks at our local farmer's market. Much like the bison, elk is super lean and the steaks have about the same amount of fat and calories as skinless boneless chicken breast. I don't know if it's because I'm eating farm-raised elk or not, but the meat is also pretty devoid of the gaminess of meats like venison.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Excellent info from both of you - thanks!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I agree. Bison is so juicy and tasty, and I love the low sodium. I very rarely eat red meat anymore, but sometimes I just crave one of my mom's meatballs or a thick burger, and I always choose bison now. There's no going back haha :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Also, since bison are nearly impossible to "tame" or raise in a setting typical of conventional beef, the animals themselves are healthier and you are supporting more humane practices :)