Running with Blisters

I am considerably new to running. I've been seriously running for 2 months and now I have a blister on my arch that is trying to prevent me from running.

Does anyone have any advice on how to heal and prevent blisters?

I want to try engo to protect my obviously tender feet has anyone tried these?

Running socks?

Any suggestions on the best running shoes?

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Synthetic socks make a HUGE difference. You'll get lots of recommendations, but I personally have the best luck with Thorlo brand socks. And if you do get blisters - Glacier Gel is great for treating/cushioning them: http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-GlacierGel-Advanced/dp/B001FFWIJ0
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I've just started running/jogging and I alternate shoes every other day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Synthetic socks make a HUGE difference. You'll get lots of recommendations, but I personally have the best luck with Thorlo brand socks. And if you do get blisters - Glacier Gel is great for treating/cushioning them: http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-GlacierGel-Advanced/dp/B001FFWIJ0

Thorlo socks are AWESOME! Love 'em. I don't wear "regular" cotton socks anymore. :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    When I was in the military, it was a given that I was going to have blisters after every road march. To keep from getting them, I put knee high nylons under my boots. I'm fairly certain they make short ones, the kind you wear with flat dress shoes for comfort but that won't show. I have a 10K next month, I'm going to be putting something under my socks.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    I threw my cotton running socks out the door when I tried Thorlo brand socks. They are AMAZING. Also if you do get a blister, what I did was use a blister band aide and then wrapped it in that thin foam athletic tape. Help tremendously. Also check your shoes, are they properly fitted? Too big or too small could be causing blisters.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    I am considerably new to running. I've been seriously running for 2 months and now I have a blister on my arch that is trying to prevent me from running.

Does anyone have any advice on how to heal and prevent blisters?

I want to try engo to protect my obviously tender feet has anyone tried these?

Running socks?

Any suggestions on the best running shoes?

There are a lot of things you can do to prevent blisters, and then run when you have one.

Best preventative for me has been using Wrightsocks double layer socks. Thorlos are good, too, though I have very sensitive feet and the interior of them bothered me because I could feel it.

You can use Body Glide on your feet as well; it prevents the friction that causes blisters. Some people use Vaseline...grosses me out, but I saw a lot of people last year on the Susan G. Komen 3 Day walk using it instead of Body Glide.

If your feet sweat a lot and is adding friction, you can also use an antiperspirant.

If you have a blister, Band Aid makes some really good blister bandages, which I find to be good for smaller ones. I use Moleskin on them most of the time since it's thicker and provides better padding. And if I'm getting a hotspot, something I know will turn into a blister, I slap some Moleskin on and that usually works.

The best shoe will be the one that fits--I'd go to a store specializing in running and walking shoes (like Fleet Feet) and get professionally fitted. Getting the right shoes for the type and duration of running you do, as well as your foot shape, flex, and pronation can make a huge difference.

I seriously battled blisters last year training for the SGK. This year the only thing I've needed has been the Wrightsocks...no blisters yet and only one hot spot. But I keep the Body Glide on hand, just in case...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I third the blister band aids!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    bump