Can no longer get into Army Reserves

Options
Dang. One of the main reasons I started this thing of ours was because I wanted to join the Army Reserves. I have been tracking toward the right weight I needed to get in, as well as the proper scores in the 2 mile, push-ups and situps tests.

Back then, the age limit for the Army Reserves was 42. I am 35. I just logged onto the recruiting site to see if I could read more about what options I had once I got in, and I read that the Army had just changed the age rule to 35. I turn 36 in a couple weeks and I wont be able to qualify before then.

Kinda depressed.

Replies

• megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    maybe if you talk to them now see what you can do .....
    good luck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    To me that is a load of BS! We need as many men and women who want to serve to be able to do so. As long as you're in shape and willing to live that life I think you should be allowed to do so. Speak to a recruiter if you can...they might make an exception if you're lucky.
  • missryals
    missryals Posts: 2
    Options
    the military is doing a draw down. still go see a recruiter. u may be able to receive an age waiver.
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    Overcome your discouragement and keep fighting for your dreams and health. Never give up.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You actually have to be there before your 35th.

Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.

They may raise it again. So keep working hard.

Air National guard takes you till your 40 and naval reserves 39.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Well don't give up quite yet. Contact your nearest recruiter and see what the deal is. I bet if you show interest, they'll bend the rule. Maybe the new age limit hasn't yet gone into effect yet, or.... there's no telling until you ask what the scoop is!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    the military is doing a draw down. still go see a recruiter. u may be able to receive an age waiver.

This is true. If you're in good health and good physical condition there's no reason a recruiter wouldn't get an age waiver for you. I'd go talk to one soon, though.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    Here's the reply I just received:

"Thank you for your interest in the United States Army.

Based on the information provided, it appears you exceed the allowed age
    range for enlistment purposes. The only exceptions are prior service and
    those who hold professional medical/scientific degrees and licenses. The
    maximum enlistment age is 34 years old.

Your education does not qualify you for an age exception to enlist.

If you require any further assistance or have any more questions please
    feel free to email me."

Wow. not even a "sorry to crush your dreams".
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Here's the reply I just received:

"Thank you for your interest in the United States Army.

Based on the information provided, it appears you exceed the allowed age
    range for enlistment purposes. The only exceptions are prior service and
    those who hold professional medical/scientific degrees and licenses. The
    maximum enlistment age is 34 years old.

Your education does not qualify you for an age exception to enlist.

If you require any further assistance or have any more questions please
    feel free to email me."

Wow. not even a "sorry to crush your dreams".

You could try the guard - may have better results
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    OH man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really shocked they changed that age, given that we have so many wars going on at once right now!

Don't give up on your dreams to be healthier. You have so many more reasons to stay on this path, than enlisting! Keep fighting.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's not just the army, my husband works for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and they too have to be younger than 35 for initial employment. Something to do with retirement after 20 years.

Try looking into the national guard. I am really sorry to hear this :(

I took this from nationalguard.com

Q: Am I too old to join?

A: It depends on your objective in enlisting. If your goal is to accrue time toward retirement benefits, you must be able to complete 20 combined years of service by the age 60. For example, if you have twelve years of service already, you need to be no older than 52 to join and receive your retirement. If retirement benefits are not your objective in joining, your maximum age will depend on your specific service history. No two situations are alike. Please speak to a recruiter to discuss how your age affects your enlistment.

Hopefully this will help you out!!
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    the national guard has the same rule as the Army:

http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-basics/eligibility-requirements

The only two organizations I can find that would take me now are the Navy Reserves and the Coast Guard Reserves.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We are in the same situation, but my husband has done some research and found that The Air National Guard is still an option until 39 years of age, you still get all the benefits of Army Reserve.