Raw Dairy?

Options
Has anyone had raw dairy? Specifically cheese? I looked it up in the database and didn't see any listings, so I kinda felt it may not be popular. I recently completed a 7 day detox (natural by using raw fruits and veggies) and I am really trying to change my whole lifestyle eating wise. I have a friend who is a HUGE organic/ natural food fanatic. She has been giving me a lot of suggestions and one today was raw dairy cheese. Basically it is all natural...no additives etc. It is all white. Meaning the cheddar is white which may throw me off a bit...lol. Anyway I really want cheese again and feel this may be the only way I can incorporate cheese in to my new healthier diet, but with all things I am always weary to try new things. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it...would you recommend it etc? Thanks :)

Replies

• clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Is it not pasteurized?
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Um...IDK. Ignorant of me I know. I am thinking no, because they buy it directly from an Amish farm.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Raw dairy is indeed unpasteurized. You can try it; I eat some sometimes. But I also eat organic pasteurized cheeses and sheep's milk cheese. All have their place in the healthy lifestyle :)
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,024 Member
    Options
    Good for you doing a raw foods detox. I did one for a week 6 weeks ago. I felt wonderful afterwards. I don't know anything about raw cheese except that all raw dairy is unpasteurized. I don't think I'd be afraid to eat it though. What if you were raised on a dairy farm and made and consumed your own dairy products? That's what the Amish do. FDA doesn't want them selling their unpasteurized products because of fear of bacterial contamination.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat raw cheese all the time. Because it's cultured, pasteurization isn't necessary. Where I come from, cheddar is always white, and the first time I saw orange cheddar, I thought it was super weird!

I just found a farmstand selling raw milk nearby (legal in this state), so that's next. I've had it before and loved it- I'm happy to find a source so nearby!