ran 3 miles and almost killed myself!!

Options
Many years ago I used to run a few miles a day. It's been 8 years since I've actually run for any length until this morning. I decided to run 3 miles. I totally and completely pushed myself to finish those 3 miles. I wasn't stopping for anything. Not the hurting foot. Not the heat or the sweat in my eye. Nothing. But when I was done, I really felt like I was going to pass out and was feeling pretty sick to my stomach. I've been biking and doing other cardio activities so I figured I'd be okay. Is this normal for just starting out? I plan to continue running but should I shorten the run or will the bad feeling subside once I get used to it?

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    It's fairly normal if you do way too much and push yourself too hard. The best way to get back into it is to do the Couch to 5K program which has running/walking plans to build up to it. Shorten your run and alternate walking and running. Definitely don't push yourself too hard at this point, especially in the heat. And listen to your body and don't push through the pain.
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks!! the pain wasn't horrible, quitting would have felt worse. I'll look into the couch to 5k program, thanks!!
  • kayla1972
    kayla1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the couch to 5k. 6 weeks ago I couldn't run for 90 seconds. Today I ran for 25 minutes straight. It definitely builds up your endurance.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    while you might have overdone it a bit today, congratulations on your determination! that will definitely help you reach your goals!

I agree that Couch25k and the Jeff Galloway walk/run method are great ways to get back into running without "killing" yourself--we want you to be able to walk tomorrow, right?! :drinker:
  • SherryHam
    SherryHam Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm amazed you were able to run the whole three miles. I used to run 3 miles a day, too, but since I started back a month ago or so, I've only been able to walk - and sometimes run/walk - two miles. Of course, weight and age are working against me, but I intend to get back to where I was. For me, though, it's going to be slow and steady.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    ill bet you did feel sick after that, dont push your body that hard, try running 2 10ths of a mile then walk another 10th, work up your run a quarter mile at a time, if things start to hurt its time to stop unless you like ortho doctors, if your feet are hurting you might need a better shoe, the new lightweight ones that are popular now are very bad for your feet
  • LotsOtots5
    LotsOtots5 Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! It is possible that I need new shoes. The pair I have is a few years old, bought in Korea where i did TONS of walking. So they might just be shot. Time for a new pair probably. Crazy shoes...