broccoli does what?!?!

Options
I just read that broccoli contributes to a "puffy" looking stomach and its advised not to eat if you are trying to lose inches around your waist!

Can anyone verify that? I love broccoli.. what the beep?!

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    Brocolli=stinky farts!

I think u can eat all the brocolli you want ive never eard anything like that from anyone or books i read..
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Me either and I eat it all the time.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I feel like the nutritional benefits far outweigh a tiny tummy bump. Keep eating!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I just read that broccoli contributes to a "puffy" looking stomach and its advised not to eat if you are trying to lose inches around your waist!

Can anyone verify that? I love broccoli.. what the beep?!

I love broccoli! But it does make me gassy. :)
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I read an article a while ago about "foods not to eat before hitting the beach," because they do cause a little tummy bloat after consumption.

But besides the tummy puff, broccoli is delicious and good for you! I don't wear bikinis, so I'll stick with my little trees till the end, lol
  • amclark37
    amclark37 Posts: 19
    Options
    I recently heard that it takes a long time for the body to digest it, so maybe that contributes to the bloating??? I don't know but it is one of my favorite vegetables of all time! I just can't give it up!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i've never heard that but that is a horrible thing for broccoli to do to us. Pretending to be good and healthy and bam big puffy belly.
    Where did you read that?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love broccoli!! It is my favorite veggie and it may occasionally give you some gas but it will not cause FAT in your belly area!
  • cpearce3
    cpearce3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Ha Ha it is just one of the number one vegetables that can cause gas, and the really painful bloaty type! So, yes, if you are measuring your waste, it might measure bigger if you have consumed broccoli - or any of the other various fruits and veggies that cause gas. Beano helps - it is a natural enzyme that helps to break it down.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    I hope not. I love it.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Lol great responses. And I read it on livestrong.com
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too, and recently saw an interview (some daytime show, can't remember which one) with a nutritionist about the worst things to eat before hitting the beach and broccoli (among a few other veggies) was on the list. It can make you look bloated as well as giving you nasty gas. You can probably Google it for more info.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I eat broccoli all the time! Like pretty much everyday! My stomach is pretty poofy but I'm thinking it's all the fat that's there, not broccoli! lol The chocolate contributes to it more.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    It adds to your waistline only through bloating, not perm. fat! So just don't eat it right before you show off your stomach, but otherwise, keep eating!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think that they mean broccoli causes bloating after eating it. But, there is no way a healthy food is going to make you fat. The bloating is not long term and will go away after digested. They just mean don't hit the beach in a bikini right after eating broccoli, not that you should never eat it.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    maybe they mean if you eat too much you can get a bloated stomach from the gassiness it can cause in some people.