Sick of being top-heavy

ashlinmarie
ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Even when I was very thin, I was quite chesty (a 34 C at 103 lbs in high school). Currently, I am a DD, but it is giving me back issues. Since I started biking, I don't hurt as bad, but I'm still sick of having to buy a size up in EVERYTHING just to fit my chest. In fact, I feel like part of why I let myself go and eat so much was because I figured if my belly filled out my shirt more, it would take the emphasis off of my chest (which it didn't). I would love to be a C cup or at least a small D at my goal weight of 150 and was wondering if anyone could recommend chest exercises that would not only make the girls a bit smaller, but get rid of the sag as well. I am currently doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred, which has 1 good chest exercise but I feel it isn't enough. I just don't want to have to resort to surgery and I know it wouldn't do much good anyway as I'm 22 and have yet to start having kids. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    I've lost almost a cup size after 7 lbs.
  • ashlinmarie
    Very jealous here...I have lost 18 lbs and my bra has gone from a little snug to a fitting. My sports bra doesn't cut into me anymore either. My chest has always been resistant to weight loss, even when I was anorexic in high school, I had a bigger chest than my mom when she was pregnant and I was 50+ lbs lighter than her.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Ah,I gain and lose in my boobs. I was a B cup in high school.
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    some are just built that way, I had a friend in hs who wore a size 5 in jeans, but had a GG bra size. Needless to say, she was miserable. She was finally able to have them reduced after HS, it was the only way she could get them down. Some people are just built that way and while you may be able to get it down some, it may not go down as far as you would like without the surgery. I'm sorry :(
  • Shouldabeenaninja
    Shouldabeenaninja Posts: 9 Member
    Well chick - unfortunately, you may have to look @ surgery. I've been a DD-DDD for as long as I can remember. You either lose it there or you don't. I've lost probably like 24 pounds so far (weigh-in Monday), and the only thing that's changed is that the band of my bra is too big. And what's weird is most bras, when you go down in band size...like mine went from 44 to 40, the freakin CUP is WAY smaller! SO OMG - in a way I kinda hate it too...

But especially if you're having back problems already - ummm yeah. Work that out.

Congrats on your weight-loss though!!! :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    When you change the band the cup size changes too. If you went down in band you may have to go up in cup to get the right fit. (A 38D is comparable to a 36DD...if that makes sense).
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Well chick - unfortunately, you may have to look @ surgery. I've been a DD-DDD for as long as I can remember. You either lose it there or you don't. I've lost probably like 24 pounds so far (weigh-in Monday), and the only thing that's changed is that the band of my bra is too big. And what's weird is most bras, when you go down in band size...like mine went from 44 to 40, the freakin CUP is WAY smaller! SO OMG - in a way I kinda hate it too...

But especially if you're having back problems already - ummm yeah. Work that out.

Congrats on your weight-loss though!!! :)

this.

Not to push a surgery on you but if you're unhappy with your chest and its not changing naturally then look into a reduction / lift...life is too short to be really unhappy with something fixable. IMO. Good luck!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    I feel your pain on the large chest. You probably will get slightly smaller as you lose weight but they'll most likely be lifelong pals unless you decide to go the surgery route. I would recommend waiting a few years before making that decision though. During pregnancy I was busting out of GG cup (all three times). Now they are almost a "normal" size (DDD). With a pants size currently of 8-10, I look top heavy. Period. I used to feel the same way at your age but as I've gotten a little older I'm resigned to it. Find a good sports bra and double up if you need to. Also, have a professional bra fitting and find some pretty bras. A good bra with a proper fit can make the girls look more proportional. Good luck!
  • ashlinmarie
    Thanks guys! Guess I'll buck up and see if they go down at all. Even back to a small D would be good so I can wear normal swim suit tops. I just know there is a good chance that A. I won't be able to breast feed if I get a reduction and B. that my boobs will explode again during a pregnancy and make the surgery moot. It's just hard to wait 10+ years to be done having kids. Anyone know the conditions for insurance covering this because I know it costs about 10 grand.

But on this topic, anyone else HATE how they stop making pretty bras at a C cup in most stores? I've been stuck in nudes and blacks since high school when all my smaller chested friends got to buy the pretty pinks and reds and blues.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    I was overflowing DD minimizer bras for years until I decided I just couldn't take the back/shoulder pain anymore. No amount of weight loss helped, so I went the surgery route to get some relief and it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I ended up a tad smaller than I wanted to be (10 years and another baby later I'm still a B cup) but I love that I am not in pain and everything fits better. Not to get too personal, but if you go the surgery route, realize you may need a "modesty" bra in future (one with the "petals" in the cups) cause otherwise the girls may want to say "hello" all the time. Because of this, I wear a slightly padded bra now and I love the way I look and feel.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    This article really helped me with my upper back pain due my 38E boobs.

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/exercise_fitness/2006/10/breasts-causing-upper-back-pain-is.html

Since I bought Dr. Bookspan's book and did the daily stretches and focused on my posture, my back pain is almost nonexistent.

Oh, and you don't have to stick to ugly bras for larger chest sizes any more!

http://www.barenecessities.com/
    http://www.figleaves.com/

I also go to a local bra fitter who has a very nice selection as well.
  • ashlinmarie
    @ Twijourney: If I reach my goal weight and my boobs are still bugging me, I will definitely keep your story in mind. I've wanted a breast reduction for years, but I'm terrified of surgery and don't want to go that route if I don't have to.

@ erisfreenici: Thanks for the article and the links! I bookmarked all of it and will definitely be bra shopping there once I have money. Maybe if I can feel sexy with this chest, I won't feel the need to change it beyond what happens on my weight loss journey. My back pain has almost gone away thanks to biking, but I still get a knot at the base of my neck if I spend a lot of time on my feet, even with my improved posture that I would really love if it went away.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    I was measured for my wedding dress at a size 38G! Yesssss G! No that is not a typo. (BTW I cried) Runs in the family. This was after my daughter and at age 22. I resorted to surgery and personally it was a great decision. I no longer suffer from the aches and pains that my large boobies were causing! I went down to about a D when I gained a bit of weight after surgery, than I went up to about a DD.

Now I have lost 60lbs and I can fit in to some Cs. The amazing part is that I weigh just about as much as before I got preggers with my daughter and people SWEAR I am smaller. unfortunately big boobies hide a slimmer figure.

Most insurance conditions cover breast reductions for:
    -Chronic Neck/Shoulder/ Back Pain
    -Rashes under breast
    -Bruising where bra sits on shoulders

P.S. They removed approximately 2.5 pounds from each side. The surgery was rough for about the first two to three days then about 3 weeks later I was so happy that I did it. My boobs looked awesome! ...Then I lost more weight...considering a boob lift now LOL! (KIDDING...Kinda) : P
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    We have the same boob history so I'll share what has helped me. The exercises don't lift your chest, just strengthen your core.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/core?page=0,1

As for size, I finally went down from a dd to a d and fully expect to reach a c- by the time I'm at goal weight.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Swimming. I used to be in a competitive swimming program, and no one there had large chests. I say this as a top-heavy person myself. Swimming builds muscles all over the body and is the perfect exercise to achieve the goal you have in mind. Remember to mix up your strokes, though - there's nothing like butterfly for working chest muscles. It's great for burning calories, too.
This discussion has been closed.