Still need to lose weight, but people keep saying I'm too sk

Options
Here's my post on this issue: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/drlynned/view/you-re-too-skinny-123110

I'm just sharing this because it gets frustrating. I've obviously not too skinny, yet I get the "concerned" questions about how thin I'm getting. SIGH!

Replies

• clops379
    clops379 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I'm heading for 140 I hope and for me too its the lowest I'll have been in ages. My sister is around that weight if not a little lower and always gets comments from the family that she is too skinny so i'm aiming to try for 140 but stop when i feel comfortable that i cam maintain it and still have my curves! Feel free to add me as a friend, seems we have goals and family opinions in common!
    C x
  • Lewre
    Lewre Posts: 22
    Options
    Read your blog post. Don't have much advice, but I totally hear ya! We are about the same weight with about the same end goal. I get comments too about the too skinny thing. I remind myself I am getting healthy, NOT too thin and in my case MOST of the people saying things like this to me are overweight themselves and not the healthiest they could be. I think that seeing me and my goals may make them self concious a bit? Chin up and keep at it. There will always be negativity of some kind in our lives...the key is shaking it off and looking inside yourself for what you know to be true. :)
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 4, and was told i got too skinny when i went down to 143 lbs, looking back now, i was probrally a decentish size. But I felt huge and i know i will when i get back there. You may just hold weight really well, maybe you could jump on the scales in front of them and show them that you are not starving yourself, but are looking and feeling a lot healthier and that your goals are to achieve further weight loss. By which you will have a healthy and sustainable BMI.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    *groan*
    I haven't had 'concerned' people as such but "wow, you're getting sooooooo skinny!" and "what, another stone? Do you have another stone left to loose?"
    C'mon? Seriously? Skinny? I lift weights, you know I lift weights, I'm not skinny, I'm getting toned, can you see any bones? No. Because I am 10 stone! So yes, there is another stone left to loose. And I eat 4 meals a day so don't look at me like that when I say I'm gonna loose another stone. Hmmmmkay?!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I got this a lot too, especially when I hit about 140 and the loss was noticeable. I wasn't happy though and had this 125 goal in mind so when friends/family would say that I was too skinny I'd just nod and smile and explain that I was healthy and fit and continue on my way.

The funny thing is, now I am 125 and a size 4/6 NO ONE says I'm too skinny, it suits my frame and I have muscle tone and everyone comments on how good I look. I think people are just scared of change, especially if it highlights their shortcomings with their own approach to diet and exercise. If you can do it, then so can they, but a lot of the time they don't want to know that!

Just keep going until you're happy!! They'll eventually come round to all the great changes you've made and accept the new, body-confident you!
  • JennieD2
    JennieD2 Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi, First the only person you need to keep happy is yourself. You should talk to your family about how you feel when they make these comments. However you also need to remember that bmi is not a good guideline for anyone with good muscle mass. Most athletes will come up as overweight or even obese, and if you are running half marathons then you definitely have good muscle mass and a good fitness level already. Maybe you should focus more on losing inches than on losing weight. Aim for the dress size you want to be but don't worry so much about the lbs. :smile:
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, now I am 125 and a size 4/6 NO ONE says I'm too skinny, it suits my frame and I have muscle tone and everyone comments on how good I look. I think people are just scared of change, especially if it highlights their shortcomings with their own approach to diet and exercise. If you can do it, then so can they, but a lot of the time they don't want to know that!

So true! The claws really come out when you loose weight! Last summer I lost a few pounds and toned up a bit, not even much, and I had a 'frend' say to me
    'wow, you're almost slim!'
    I was like.... um... I am slim. I wasn't even fat in the first place....
    (I had gone from about 144 down to 138)
    Cheeky mare.
  • Jillyc72
    Jillyc72 Posts: 13
    Options
    I had this all the time, it really got on my nerves, I felt I had to tell everyone how much I weighed to prove I was still not even at a healthy BMI. Strangely I moved jobs to a place where people had not known me overweight and it all stopped. I think it is just the shock of not seeing you looking like 'you'. It does settle down. Now when I return to my old workplace nobody comments on my weight loss as they are used to me this way.

In the end when they said things like 'you don't want to lose anymore' I just smiled and agreed and got on with losing the last few pounds.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've been at my GW for a while now and some people Are still only just getting round to asking me not to lose more weight! I found that more people said it when I was still a little chubby than say it now, though. Now, though, I get compliments from the skinny people I once admired. I think, mainly, it's a matter of perspective. I would look like a beached whale somewhere with a really skinny norm, but here, where the norm is slightly over weight, I look skinny.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing sometimes, it was like certain people couldn't bare to actually compliment me so they would say things like 'you're getting too thin' (no I wasn't) or 'careful, or you'll start to look ill if you lose anymore' (also not true). I'm not sure if its cos they felt threatened as I don't think it was genuine concern because I clearly wasn't too thin! People just aren't used to seeing you like that and I guess if it's someone you haven't seen in a while then it's going to be a shock, for other people it could be fear of your new found slim bod and the inner confidence that comes with it, maybe your bf is a little jealous that you're going to be getting a lot of attention......just an idea.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    wow...I can totally relate. >_< I asked a question about calories for those of us going under 100 pounds and instead of answering the questions, a few guys decided to accuse me of being unhealthy, underweight, and anorexic...DESPITE my telling them I am only 4'9"! o_O And I am at 106.5 right now, hardly underweight. I was told I needed to gain weight.

Seriously, some people need to but out. I could understand if someone was 5'8" aiming at 85 pounds...I'd really worry lol. But our situations are FAR from "too skinny." :huh:
  • cband
    cband Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    wow...I can totally relate. >_< I asked a question about calories for those of us going under 100 pounds and instead of answering the questions, a few guys decided to accuse me of being unhealthy, underweight, and anorexic...DESPITE my telling them I am only 4'9"! o_O And I am at 106.5 right now, hardly underweight. I was told I needed to gain weight.

Seriously, some people need to but out. I could understand if someone was 5'8" aiming at 85 pounds...I'd really worry lol. But our situations are FAR from "too skinny." :huh:

It's true. I saw the poor girl get attacked for an eating disorder on another board >.<
    I'd take it as a compliment (until your doctor gets worried hehe). As old school as it sounds, they just want to be able to manage themselves like you can (:
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    I get the same thing. People don't know your body like you do. Just stick to your plan (as long as it's a healthy one) and do what makes you happy.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I also get the same thing... I'm 5'9 so what looks heavy on a shorter person, does not look as heavy on me, even tho it is!

My mom is always telling me why do you want to lose more weight? you're thin enough! My trainer asks me, are you even eating.. you seem to be dropping weight really fast. All I can do is stand there and nod my head while smiling and saying yes I need to lose more and yes I'm eating.. and then I'll show this site to prove that I eat like a freaking(healthy!) pig.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think when people lose weight..esp if they lose a lot of weight they tend to have that drawn out look until there body adjust. If you are not underweight per the BMI and you are healthy who cares. Dont go by other people. I am anorexic..need to gain weight and somebody they other day told me how good I looked. Guess she needs glasses and what she thinks shouldt matter because i am not healthy. I hear your frustration though!