Question for the Women!?

Options
Ok, I started taking the Depo shot (birth control) back in July for the first time. I also quit smoking, cold turkey a month later. Since then I have packed on SEVERAL pounds. Hubby says its due to my metabolism slowing down cause I'm not smoking now. He has also gained a few. I kinda feel like I'm gaining from the shot. I don't eat anymore now then what I did then. I'm due for my shot again in a couple weeks but if thats whats causing the weight gain then I am going back to pills!! Any ideas on which one it is?

Thanks,
Kristal

Replies

• KBagwell
    Options
    Ok, I started taking the Depo shot (birth control) back in July for the first time. I also quit smoking, cold turkey a month later. Since then I have packed on SEVERAL pounds. Hubby says its due to my metabolism slowing down cause I'm not smoking now. He has also gained a few. I kinda feel like I'm gaining from the shot. I don't eat anymore now then what I did then. I'm due for my shot again in a couple weeks but if thats whats causing the weight gain then I am going back to pills!! Any ideas on which one it is?

Thanks,
    Kristal
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. The main reason for gaining weight after you quit smoking is because you have replaced smokes with food. I know when I quit it didn't effect my weight at all. Being on the depo shot however did. I gained 50 pounds after recieving the shot. It's near impossible to lose on the shot as well, according to my dr. As soon as I started a different form of bc I started losing the weight that I had tried to get rid of so hard while on depo.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo shot for over 2 years and in that time I gained 35lbs... I was also running and working out daily... But I did gain on it... of course the girls got bigger so that part was a bonus :)
    I got off the shot and was back to 130 in less then 3 months changing nothing about my habits. I want to get back there again :)
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I gained on the depo shot as well... although my thyroid was too low at the time too...
    Personally it really messed my whole system up, so I would go back to the pill if I were you... although that messes with me too... fun, fun!
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I figured it must be the shot because I NEVER had any problems losing weight on the pill!!!
  • bethany169
    Options
    I was on the shot for five years, didn't gain anything until about year 3 when I stopped working out as much and ate whatever the hell I felt like. Lost it all and then some when I started watching what I ate and working out (while still on the shot). Everyone's body reacts differently to different drugs but I only gained weight through my bad habits and lost it fairly easily.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I guess everyone is different....anyone have any suggestions on a good pill? I was taking Ortho Tricyclen Lo before starting the shot, not sure if I wanna go back to that one or not!
  • Jezika
    Jezika Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for about 6 months. In that time I gained like 10 pounds and i was an emotional roller coaster! I know that everyone reacts differently to it... but boy, I have not recommended it to any of my girlfriends!
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Oh yea, that too, Ive been EXTRA moody since August!!! My hubby has complained...and I didn't realize it until here recently!! I need some different!!! AHHH!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I was on the depo for about 6 months. In that time I gained like 10 pounds and i was an emotional roller coaster! I know that everyone reacts differently to it... but boy, I have not recommended it to any of my girlfriends!

You know, every single form of oral BC does that to me. I've been told that a good option is a IUD because it centralizes the hormones to your uterus, instead of being shot through your entire system.

:flowerforyou:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Maybe try the ortho tricyclen not the lo. I was on both and the lo one made me moody but the regular kind didn't.
    Hope you find something that works for you.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Anyone know the difference between Ortho Lo and the regular Ortho???
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I gained on depo also and after a year I quit taking it.

Connie
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I read recently that weight gain from birth conrtol is a myth. But tyou may subconciously take that doom and eat more or unhelthy stuff. It was an article I read. But I blame water gain, cause of increased horomones...
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Not saying this is the case, but I often wonder, if by hearing that people gain weight with bc, if we unconsciously eat more but don't realize it and just blame it on the bc. Like I said though, I'm not saying this is the case, just something I've wondered about.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I actually kept a food journal for over a 4 month period... took this to an expert and when they went over it I was told that there had to be a thyroid problem... they tested for that... negative and we finally nailed it down to the birthcontrol... I have taken other birthcontrol and not had that problem so With me it was definately the BC
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Not saying this is the case, but I often wonder, if by hearing that people gain weight with bc, if we unconsciously eat more but don't realize it and just blame it on the bc. Like I said though, I'm not saying this is the case, just something I've wondered about.
    like a subconcious thing, right? I can see that, since the mind is a very powerful tool.

But, I also think that every body takes to hormones differently. I personally cannot handle the level of hormones in BC. And, though it took me awhile to notice, any shift of hormones in my daily contacts (work enviroment, home life, etc.) my TOM is completely wacky!

So it could be that people lose weight on BC, some gain, some go nuts, and some are happier on it. Just depends on the person and the hormonal make-up:flowerforyou:
  • HISjuggalette061808
    Options
    i'm on birth control too, but i'm on Apri.

its a certain kind of birth control that doesn't make you gain weight.
    but its a pill.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking by the way!!!!
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    ok first and foremost: GET OFF THE DEPO SHOT!!!!!

I was on this when i was in high school and most of the way thru college. I gained a lot of weight w/ it (but some of it could have been all the boozing and late-night pizza:tongue: ) But i went to a new doctor and they really scolded me for being on the shot for soooo long. they said it has major side effects and that weight gain was one, emotionally out of control was another (which i was at the time) and that my "girly system" would be screwed up for years. After i got off the shot it took over 3 years for my system to become regular again.

My docs suggested that i try the NuvaRing...which i love. Not everyone likes it b/c it has to be inserted..."up there" every month. but you get used to it and i absolutely love it. it regulates my hormones so that i don't have terrible cramping and my periods usually last like 2-3 days vs. 6-7 days. It's awesome!!!!!

So anyways that's my piece, hope it helps,
    Laura