Help! So Out of Shape!!!

Options
Today I attempted to do 45 minutes of kickboxing and was able to make it through a grand total of 20 minutes! Based on my BMI I am not overweight, but I guess today was the real wake up call for me with how badly I've let myself go. I figured since I take the dog for a long walk every day and run around after my 1 year old I was doing ok... Clearly I'm not.

So, my question is, how long did it take you guys to feel like you were "getting into shape?" What sort of routine should I do to get into shape? I downloaded Couch 2 5K and want to do that 3 days a week. Is that enough? Should I do more? What do you guys do?

I have the motivation to get there, but looking at myself today, I feel like this is an uphill battle that I won't win for a long, long time and the worst part is, I'm not sure how to get there!

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Trust me, even though I wasn't really overweight, I was also very out of shape. The more you work out, the better your stamina will be. Try to work out 5 days a week if your schedule allows, and vary up different cardio workouts (try High intensity and interval training, where you can pump up your heart rate for a short period of time). You will definitely get in better shape the more you workout. Try your kickboxing class again in a coupe of weeks and see how it goes.
  • reenakainth
    Options
    i used to do 3 hours cardio at gym straight without a break....after 4 years of doing not much ...i found i couldnt veen walk for 10 mins at a brisk pace ...so i decided not to set too many targets and just walked on treadmill for 5 mins comfortably im now doing 10 mins walking on treadmill but fast enough to burn 50 calories...i do this and stop and start again

everyone starts somewhere and u build up as u go ...i have lost 4llbs but i cant see a difference in my body as yet and feel no different either...makes it harder to stick to it but i feel good on the scale when i do weigh myself ...(weekly)
  • timidury
    timidury Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I live in Shanghai so it's hard for me to do classes or get all the exercise DVDs that people have been recommending. I've also been thinking about ordering Zumba DVDs and then having my mom ship them over. Either that or see if my fiance can get one of the illegal DVD guys to find it and burn it, lol.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Try the 30 Day Shred, too.
    Made me realize how weak my upper body is.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree just start slow you will work up to harder things and you will be craving challenges!

I started with Power 90 when I first started
  • R2v2
    R2v2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bet you're in better shape than you think! Running after a 1 yr old is no joke. Kickboxing classes are very tough. I'm in decent shape - I ride an average of 80 miles per week on my hybrid, do at least 1 hr on the elliptical machine at the gym a couple times per week - and I tried a kickboxing class last year and it kicked my *kitten*.

The Zumba is a good idea if you don't have access to other classes. Any way you could ride a bike? It's great exercise, fun and you get to see so much, especially if you're somewhere like China. Whatever it is, just pick something you can get excited about, something you're really going to enjoy, so you can stick with it.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I've only been trying to drop weight for 2 months. And I feel like Im getting in shape. I really felt it after I finished Cardio X Friday and was like....this doeant feel like a workout. Even though I sweated tons. So...2 months? Lol.