Low Cal Chinese

Options
I am starting today trying to lose a few pounds. (more than just a few...ha ha) I would love to find some recipes for Chinese, which is one of my favorite foods. Especially anything with orange flavoring.

Thanks!

Replies

• katina08
    Options
    I am starting today trying to lose a few pounds. (more than just a few...ha ha) I would love to find some recipes for Chinese, which is one of my favorite foods. Especially anything with orange flavoring.

Thanks!
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I saw in a magazine, I think everydayfood, a recipe for homemade general tso's chicken.
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was correct.

Here's the recipe:

Lighter General Tso's Chicken

1 1/4 cups long-grain brown rice

1/4 cup cornstarch, divided

1/3 cup cold water

1 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise (can use frozen but thaw first)

4 garlic cloves, sliced

2 teaspoons grated, peeled fresh ginger

3 tablespoons light brown sugar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 large egg whites

Coarse salt and ground pepper

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into

1-inch pieces

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/3 cup cold water until smooth. Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce and red pepper flakes; toss to combine and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside.

Add snow pea mix to skillet. Cover; cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.

Serves 4.

Nutritional information per serving: 532 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated), 37g protein, 72g carbohydates and 5g fiber.

Source: Everyday Food
  • lmwardx
    lmwardx Posts: 74
    Options
    I have chicken (sometimes a little bit rice) topped with plum sauce (you can find the plum sauce in the asian isle) and wrap it in lettuce.

Chinese resteraunts usualy use a very light pancake wrap plum sauce, rice noddles, peanuts, and meat. If you eat out you can request lettuce cups most resteraunts do it.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yeah yummy. I would like some recipes too. I ate orange chicken and fried rice this weekend. HOLY CRAP it was 1400 calories. I almost fainted when I got home and logged it in. Why does it have to be so fattening!!!!:sad:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am not sure this would "count" as orange chicken, since I've never had it.....

Maybe play around with marmalade/apricot preserves and chicken breast.
    Make it into a stir-fry with some multi-colored peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.
    I like Hoisin sauce a lot with my stir-fry and it doesn't take much.
  • kayaraelyn
    Options
    Orange Chicken With Broccoli (Weight Watchers)
    Recipe #198429

http://www.recipezaar.com/198429

Haven't tried it yet but saved to my favs good luck
  • DebLaf
    DebLaf Posts: 248
    Options
    I love chinese food and can't wait to try some of these.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    :smokin: