Spices! What are your favorite?

Options
dittiepe
dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
Ok, I love to cook. LOVE it, but I also have to watch my sodium intake. So, I've been learning to cook with a variety of different spices and I'm finding that they are just wonderful. Besides good ol' salt and pepper, what are your favorite spices to cook with?

Mine are garlic, cayenne pepper, garam marsala, and a variety of Indian spices.

Not sure why this ended up double posting. Sorry about that!

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    crushed red pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning blend and blackened seasoning!
  • chironess
    chironess Posts: 11
    Options
    The easiest, quickest item I use for a quick flavor boost minus salt and fat is flavored vinegars. YUM. But rice vinegar usually has salt so beware. Sometimes you can find good pre-made curry flavorings at asian stores that have low salt also. I LOVE those for soups. I love the same spices as you also plus shallots.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mrs. dash!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you on the indian spices....I love to use cinnamon in savory dishes. I also like fresh ginger, chipotle powder, basil, oregano, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast (dont know if this is a "spice" but I use it that way).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Ground cumin. :heart: The smell of it alone makes me happy. I wish there was a Febreez or Yankee Candle in cumin scents!
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Saffron, turmeric, ginger, garlic, basil.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I add jalapeno (I don't think that's officially a spice) to nearly everything these days! I have lived in Texas now for 3 years and it rubs off on you.

:)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Vanilla!, basil and oregano (technically herbs), cinnamon, anise, freshly ground black pepper, and the pricey but delectable Spanish saffron.

I loooove garlic but it is really a veggie :D
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My friend works for Tastefully simple so I have been using some of the ones i bought from her: Green tea and peppercorn ( really good on shrimp) Salsa mix (great on chicken) and greek rub (good on EVERYTHING!)
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, allspice; everything, really!
  • dittiepe
    Options
    My friend works for Tastefully simple so I have been using some of the ones i bought from her: Green tea and peppercorn ( really good on shrimp) Salsa mix (great on chicken) and greek rub (good on EVERYTHING!)

OMG I absolutely LOVE the green tea and peppercorn on omelets!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Wild sumac is the best for salt replacement. It's very strongly lemony. Sorrel too. I love sorrel. cinnamon and vanilla are good for making things taste sweeter than they are, and chilli! I love fresh chilli.
  • WarEagle007
    WarEagle007 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Garam masala and chipotle peppers are also wonderful.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime is what I am obsessed with right now...so good! That green tea peppercorn sounds amazing...I never heard of/saw that before!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to get my hands on some Sumac spice. It's a middle eastern spice used in my favorite salad: fattoush.

I can't seem to find a restaurant in Boston that makes a decent fattoush, so I'm taking the matter into my own hands :-)

I also use Asafoetida (indian spice) when a recipe calls for green onions (other than for garnish) and I don't have any on hand.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Cumin and chili powder!
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Such a wide variety! I love it. Spices (and herbs!) are great :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    mrs. dash!

I put it on EVERYTHING. And then add more garlic and black pepper. I LOVE garlic.
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Garlic, garlic, garlic, and garlic. Oh, and also cumin, ginger, basil, and rosemary!