Platue or am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hey everyone! I've been on here for about a month now. I started working out everyday about 2 months ago, but I wasn't tracking my food. I found out about this site, and have since been tracking more and continuing to exercise daily.

Anyway, I've noticed that I've lost about 10 pounds total since I started working out, but since I've started tracking my calories, I've only lost about 2 pounds in the month I've been doing it on here. I eat healthier, work out more intensely, alternate workouts so that each muscle group has a chance to grow and heal. I just can't figure out whats wrong. I've been measuring myself too, and I noticed that I've lost about 2 inches around my neck, waist, and hips. I've noticed that I am very sensitive to sodium, but I've been trying to keep an eye on that. I also make sure I drink around 8-12 glasses of water a day. Please help? I'm not sure if I'm just at a platue or if I've just gained muscle mass. I want to get past this and get to my goal though. I'm trying to lose 1.8 pounds to 2 pounds a week.

P.S - My food diary is open to anyone who wants to take a look at it.

Replies

• carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are doing really well with your food, just be patient and give it time! You are losing inches and that is awesome! Are you working out every single day or are you taking one or two rest days a week, my crossfit trainer insists that you need that for your body to rest and repair. I know it is hard, today is my rest day and I want to go run!!! Keep up the good work.
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Food wise, you have been doing great! Getting in shape is not just but the number on the scale but also the inches you lose. I say your going at a great rate.

I say keep it up, it might not seem like a lot but in the end it is worth it because you wont gain the weight back.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal weight, sometimes your body can't metabolize 2 lbs. of fat in a week. For obese and morbily obese people, 2 lbs. is a reasonable goal. As you lose more, you don't metabolize as much. Your body may only be capable of metabolizing .5-1.0 lbs per week. If you're close, this might explain it.

If you're working out every day, you might need to take one or two rest days. Despite giving your muscle groups a break, sometimes your whole body needs a break. Don't forget, your heart is a muscle too. As much as it LOVES working hard, it needs time to build and strengthen the cardiovascular system. One or two days rest a week might give your heart what it needs.

I wrote a blog post a few weeks ago that has helped some people who are stuck. Maybe it could offer some answers.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Best of luck, and great job on your progress so far!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Your food diary and water intake look great! It's over on a few nutrients, but not the ones that I would consider bad to be over on like sodium, sugar, etc. My suggestion would be to look at changing up the types of food you are eating and/or your exercise routine. Sometimes our bodies just need a jolt to give it a kick-start again. It craves a challenge and most people (myself included) seem to get stuck in the same routine. What worked for us yesterday may not work for us tomorrow. Experiment with different types of food. Experiment with different styles of exercise. This journey can be a lot of fun if you can find unique and different things to do along the way. Never give up... it will come. You are doing a fantastic job!!! Feel free to send me a request for continued support. Maybe we can pick each other's brain if things don't continue to progress. :) Good luck to you!
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!

I think that there is a possibility that I am eating too few calories a day. My net calories come in at somewhere between 900-1,100 a day and my BMR is 1,648. Should I increase my daily food calorie goal to 1,300 a day?

Also I need to take one day a week and just have it be a rest day. I'm going to make today be my rest day of the week, but might go for a slow walk later since I don't get too much normal activity throughout the rest of the day. I am usually sitting throughout the day.

Would all of this help?
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!

I think that there is a possibility that I am eating too few calories a day. My net calories come in at somewhere between 900-1,100 a day and my BMR is 1,648. Should I increase my daily food calorie goal to 1,300 a day?

Also I need to take one day a week and just have it be a rest day. I'm going to make today be my rest day of the week, but might go for a slow walk later since I don't get too much normal activity throughout the rest of the day. I am usually sitting throughout the day.

Would all of this help?

This would be a great start in finding out if this is what your body needs!