So sore today..what do you do to help it? Lactic acid?

Options
I had what I thought was a doable workout on friday, and today my muscles are soo sore that I can barely stand it. I feel like my legs are going to buckle when I'm walking (upper thighs = painful) and my stomache hurts when I try to sit up. Think I might have done a little too much this time.. did I get lactic acid build-up and if so, what do I do??

Replies

• jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Take a warmth bath with epson salts.
    Great for muscle soreness.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Get some extra protein in your diet and wait till it goes away. When I start back into an exercise program I get ridiculously sore, but as I progress it gets less and less so. I don't know of anything but recovery that will make it go away any faster. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of protein, and sleep like a boss. You'll feel better soon enough.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Warm bath! I do warm to hot baths. I also have a jacuzzi tub so I put that on and it helps me. Also a massage helps!!!

Eat bananas.

Feel better!
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    We've all done that!

A warm bath and ibuprofen will help, as will gentle streching-I usually go for a leisurely walk in the neighborhood when I am sore like that. It hurts at first, but those muscles loosen up and feel much better.

Good luck!!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I always try to take a hot bath after my workouts. Some people say epsom salts don't work but it's like 2 dollars for a half gallon of the stuff so it's worth a try.

Rubbing the muscles immediately after also helps the muscles to release the lactic acid.

You got to do this stuff right after the work out before the muscles get sore to prevent the soreness.

If you wait until the next day when are already sore it's going to be pretty difficult to get the pain to go away.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid build up is the soreness you feel during and immediately after a workout. If you have that problem then I suggest cardio after weights to convert the lactic acid to pyruvate so you can burn fat and decrease the amount of lactic acid in the muscles.

Soreness 2-3 days later is the healing and repair of the microscopic tears in your muscles from the exercise. The only thing you can do is soak in hot Epson salt baths or take anti-inflammatory meds. I recommend a product called Bath Therapy that you can get at CVS, Walgreens, etc. They are a mineral soak that works pretty well and they have different scents that make the bath smell a little better then a traditional mineral bath.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    I am so serious about this stuff it helps so much! get a Glutamine supplement. It will really help you improve your recovery time.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bev/gs.html

this is the supplement that I use and it seriously works great and it doesnt taste bad at all!

Hope I was some help!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Always stretch after a workout! A lot of times I wouldn't stretch after my games and was so sore the next day. I started stretching after my games like I do after practice and I'm totally fine Sunday morning now.
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    Its important to consume something after your workout, 4:1 carb to protein ratio is good. you could do a glass of milk, or a recovery drink. either will help with the soreness
  • pinkiekat
    pinkiekat Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definately give them all a try.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've found that having a protein shake after my workouts really helps with the soreness, and stretching the day after with something like yoga does wonders, since it warms the muscles up, and helps them relax.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I saw some products in Scheels recently that are for sore muscles post workout. One is called "The Stick" and another is called "Muscletrac".

The one I liked the best was a stick with what looked like roller blade wheels (they had newspaper article by it that said that's what developer used for protoype). I don't remember the name. You run it along your muscles. I tried it in store and it felt great. I could see where it would work muscles that are sore. I didn't buy it but I may look at it again next time I'm there.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My trainer always has me do at least 30 minutes of cardio immediately after a hard leg workout. Massage therapist says to ice the muscles, then a warm bath. And aleve works wonders.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you're suffering from DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness. Basically small tears in the muscle fibres. Take ibruprofen to help with the pain and swelling, a warm soak in the bath will help and then wait. I normally work on the principle 24 hrs to come on (the pain is at its height) and 24hrs to wear off. Time is the healer here. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
  • mbreichow
    mbreichow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's better if you make adjustments right after the workout than a couple days later, but try to keep moving throughout the day, drink plenty of water and make sure to eat protein. Try to eat a protein/carb snack within 30 minutes of your workout.
  • Bodhizephyr
    Options
    I'd just like to say a big fat WRONG to everyone who says warm/hot baths. Definitely do not take Ibuprofen or Aspirin as they thin the blood and this can be dangerous if you've done a heavy work out - muscle damage, bleeding etc.

Lactic acid causes the pain - Oxygen debt, anaerobic respiration etc.

The best thing to do - I know I do ballet and pointe work can really work your deep muscles - is iced bath/cold bath/cold shower.

I'm sure you've seen marathon runners jumping into a wheelie bin of icy and water.

The theory is that the cold causes the blood vessels to contract and force the waste products into the lymphatic system.

Oh and regular ice baths (about 20mins arrrgggghh!) can cause Apoptosis (cell death) of fat cells. Which is good because fat cells just reduce in size when you go from fatty to thinny - making it easier to gain the fat back (insta-storage). I would prefer that they politely 'cough and die altogether!

http://cotuitrunner.com/2006/07/10/so-long-lactic-acid-i-am-now-an-ice-bath-junkie/
    http://buildingleanmusclemass.net/2010/use-thermodynamics-lose-fat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Take a warmth bath with epson salts.
    Great for muscle soreness.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    This
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to say a big fat WRONG to everyone who says warm/hot baths. Definitely do not take Ibuprofen or Aspirin as they thin the blood and this can be dangerous if you've done a heavy work out - muscle damage, bleeding etc.

Lactic acid causes the pain - Oxygen debt, anaerobic respiration etc.

The best thing to do - I know I do ballet and pointe work can really work your deep muscles - is iced bath/cold bath/cold shower.

I'm sure you've seen marathon runners jumping into a wheelie bin of icy and water.

The theory is that the cold causes the blood vessels to contract and force the waste products into the lymphatic system.

Oh and regular ice baths (about 20mins arrrgggghh!) can cause Apoptosis (cell death) of fat cells. Which is good because fat cells just reduce in size when you go from fatty to thinny - making it easier to gain the fat back (insta-storage). I would prefer that they politely 'cough and die altogether!

http://cotuitrunner.com/2006/07/10/so-long-lactic-acid-i-am-now-an-ice-bath-junkie/
    http://buildingleanmusclemass.net/2010/use-thermodynamics-lose-fat
    And you'd be wrong. Cold would cause you to shiver and if your muscle are really sore, that would hurt more. Heat relaxes muscle. Way off base here on curing the actual problem the OP is asking for.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You can help lessen the effects of DOMS by taking BCAAs. You should see a significant decrease in soreness if you take BCAAs before/after/during workouts.