Sugar in fruit - I'm confused

Jackie_W
Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I've been told I have to eat my 5 a day, I always have my veg - no problem, the one thing I have trouble with is; fruit - as a diabetic I have to be careful how much sugar I consume, but, when I log say a banana and an orange, i'm over the daily goal of 27g sugar - does this matter, or is it ok, as it is natural sugar?

I'm usually pretty good with my calories, but my sugar intake always sems too high, yet my blood sugar levels are always around 5-7 (doctor says as long as I keep it under 7, he's happy).

Carbs & fibre, I could do with working on, I seem to be way under on both - although i am balancing both the carbs and fibre that I eat.

Any suggestions for foods heavy in good carbs and fibre?

Replies

• Jackie_W
    I've been told I have to eat my 5 a day, I always have my veg - no problem, the one thing I have trouble with is; fruit - as a diabetic I have to be careful how much sugar I consume, but, when I log say a banana and an orange, i'm over the daily goal of 27g sugar - does this matter, or is it ok, as it is natural sugar?

I'm usually pretty good with my calories, but my sugar intake always sems too high, yet my blood sugar levels are always around 5-7 (doctor says as long as I keep it under 7, he's happy).

Carbs & fibre, I could do with working on, I seem to be way under on both - although i am balancing both the carbs and fibre that I eat.

Any suggestions for foods heavy in good carbs and fibre?
  • wheat multi grain bread
    watermelon
    apples
  • would you mind typing in a normal day of food for yourself? I am trying to figure out what to eat that isn't high in carbs. It seems everything I eat has carbs and lots of them. I just can't eat a days worth of food without running out of carbs. I don't understand it! Anyway, if you have a lack of carbs, I would love to see what you normally eat a day.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    sugar is natural and is known as sucrose.
    Fruit contains a natural sugar known as fructose.

Both are sugar. I know diabetics are to watch their carbs adn sugars so my advice would be to put a call into your doctors office and pose this same question so you have a PROFESSIONAL opinion as to whether or not you need to count the fructose.

Better safe than sorry. :drinker:
  • Jackie_W
    would you mind typing in a normal day of food for yourself? I am trying to figure out what to eat that isn't high in carbs. It seems everything I eat has carbs and lots of them. I just can't eat a days worth of food without running out of carbs. I don't understand it! Anyway, if you have a lack of carbs, I would love to see what you normally eat a day.

I just watch how much pasta, bread and potatoes I have on my plate, you're only supposed to have around a 3rd of the plate full of carbs, making up half the plate in vegetables and pulses.
  • Jackie_W
    sugar is natural and is known as sucrose.
    Fruit contains a natural sugar known as fructose.

Both are sugar. I know diabetics are to watch their carbs adn sugars so my advice would be to put a call into your doctors office and pose this same question so you have a PROFESSIONAL opinion as to whether or not you need to count the fructose.

Better safe than sorry. :drinker:

Yeah, I'm going to see him in a few weeks, just wonderign what to do in the meantime, cheers
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    If you are diabetic you may want to stick to fruits that have a lower glycemic index.
  • Jackie_W
    If you are diabetic you may want to stick to fruits that have a lower glycemic index.

Any suggestions as to which ones?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Do an internet search for a list of glycemic indexes on fruits... pick the ones with a lower glycemic index which you enjoy :)
  • Jackie_W
    Do an internet search for a list of glycemic indexes on fruits... pick the ones with a lower glycemic index which you enjoy :)

Ok, I'll do that right now, cheers :drinker:
  • Jackie_W

Ok, I'll do that right now, cheers :drinker:

Oooh, cherries are low - I LOVe cherries - cheers :flowerforyou:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Low sugar fruit:
    Cheeries
    Gala Apples
    Asian Pears (Apple Pear)
  • Jackie_W
    Low sugar fruit:
    Cheeries
    Gala Apples
    Asian Pears (Apple Pear)

• Another concern with fruit is that most pieces of whole fruit are larger than a serving size. The recommends 5 serving of fruit this does not necessarily mean 5 whole pieces of fruit. A serving size of fruit should be about the size of a tennis ball - a small piece of fruit. Typically a whole banana is about 2 serings of fruit. I work with nutritionists and asked their opinion. Hope this is helpful.
This discussion has been closed.