Is it true?

Options
If one is trying to flatten tummy, build muscle, or tone up that area, or buns or thighs for that matter, is it true that exercise will just cause this to happen or does one need to work that particular area! I've heard both...just curious:huh:

Replies

• clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If one is trying to flatten tummy, build muscle, or tone up that area, or buns or thighs for that matter, is it true that exercise will just cause this to happen or does one need to work that particular area! I've heard both...just curious:huh:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

I'm sure you have to work the tummy muscles too - tummy crunches,press ups - that kinda thing :flowerforyou:
  • deamarie
    Options
    Although there is no truth to "spot reduction", lifting weights and building lean muscle have TONS of benefits....One being that it tightens the areas around it. You still have to burn the fat on top for it to show!
  • Lynnmarie234
    Lynnmarie234 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    IT IS TRUE!! You can do sit ups until you are blue in the face, but you won't see definition until you shed the fat layer above it. This doesn't mean you should do only cardio either. Cardio burns more calories per minute than strength training, no doubt, but strength training keeps burning calories after you have left the gym and are vegging out on the couch, where as cardio does not. This is because muscle actually burns calories, more/bigger muscles burn more calories. This is why athletes need more food then the rest of us to keep weight on, the large amount of muscle is burning more calories than our flabby bodies even when we are both standing still. So the goal is to create more muscle, so we can also burn more calories, like the athlete, when we are doign nothing. So strength training will help us burn off the layer of fat on our stomachs (and the rest of our bodies) but cardio will boost this. So many people think that they need to run off the fat, and then lift to get definition - this is not true. i recommend WomensHealthMag.com, they have an article somewhere on there that compares Cardio v. Strength. In the end they found them about even for weight loss goals, but there are benefits and cons to both forms of exercise. SPOT REDUCTION WILL CAUSE YOUR MUSCLES TO BE OUT OF BALANCE. If you do bicep curls all day and never work you triceps (which is the opposite muscle) you will hurt your surrounding joints and you won't get the maximum strength benefit. WORK YOUR ENTIRE BODY and pay attention to the opposite muscle. Abs oppose lower back muscles, biceps/triceps, hamstring/quads, lats/chest. I personally do cardio and strenth, I lift in a circuit and do not rest between sets, just move to the next exercise, and I also run and ride. I was a collegiate soccer player, and this is also the routine we did there. Let me tell you, we were ripped! However, in High School our coach had us doing a ridiculous number of sprints, and then push ups and sit ups. That was all! Not only did we not have endurance, but our leg muscles were not balances and it cause a lot of us knee problems. Now I am trying to get back to that physique thru the same techniques. I know that it works, its just trying to find the time. In the end its worth it!! Hope thats helpful!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It is difficult (if not impossible) to 'spot reduce' by targeting that area with specific exercise. In general, your metabolism / body type will determine your 'problem areas', so if you have a beer gut or a big butt, it is because your body has a 'preference' for storing fat in those areas. Changing those areas often takes a change in diet (because you will need to cut calories to lose the weight), along with a change in general activity (walking, running, aerobics, whatever) to rev up your metabolism, along with some exercise to tone /sculpt your muscles. Your exercise program should include a combination of upper and lower body and core exercises, along with any 'target specific' exercises you may want to add in
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Its true- and go for exercises that combine cardio with strength training. There are work out classes and videos that do just that. Also, try free weights rather than the machines because then you are using your core to keep yourself balanced while lifting. Also remember that more weights less reps = bulky muscels and less weights more reps = toned muscels. Check out shape.com for some good workouts and soon they should start the bikini body countdown which is all free weight toning that balance your muscels and strengthen the core.