Clean Eatting

Options
My brother and his girlfriend are very focused on eatting clean right now. They have told me a little bit about how it works. I have also seen a few people mention it here.

I know his gf has lost quite a bit of weight while doing it, but I don't feel it is an option for me.

Has anyone done this? What changes have you felt since starting to eat clean?

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    My brother and his girlfriend are very focused on eatting clean right now. They have told me a little bit about how it works. I have also seen a few people mention it here.

I know his gf has lost quite a bit of weight while doing it, but I don't feel it is an option for me.

Has anyone done this? What changes have you felt since starting to eat clean?
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I've never even heard of that... I'm about to get on google.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Isn't is mainly eating whole, unprocessed foods? Or foods as close to their natural state as possible?

I don't practice it either, but I think it runs along that vein.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get down and dirty when i'm eating! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I try to live by a "clean-eating" philosophy - but that doesn't mean I don't also have "unclean food" :laugh:

The biggest things for me were:
    - Making all my food from home, and from scratch if possible (so I make our bread, tortillas, etc.)
    - Buy fresh veggies/fruits (Farmer Markets, etc.)
    - No soda (I have not had soda in 2 years)
    - No white bread, white sugar, HFCS - we use honey, agave nectar, pure maple syrup, raw cane sugar (still use these in moderation because it's still sugar)
    - Absolutely NO artifical sugar - I threw away our bulk box of splenda. I take my coffee with a little milk, and my tea straight.
    - No frozen meals (too much sodium and cheaper to freeze my homemade leftovers)

So now...most desserts are too sweet for me. When I bake at home, I will cut the sugar amount by half. I can't stand Starbuck's flavored syrups - wow - WAY too sweet.

I don't crave fast food - if I'm on a time crunch, I will grab a kids meal (hamburger, apple slices) - but I do not dream about a double cheeseburger and biggie fries. Most restaurant food is way too salty for me as well - when I cook at home, salt use is minimal.

And the best thing? It really does save money (I used to go to Starbucks everyday for a venti non-fat vanilla latte and a morning bun - yikes - easily $7 a day and adds up to $140 a month. Frozen lunches were easily $5 a lunch - another $100.) Now I make large batches of soup, stews, etc. in the crockpot and the kids and I take the leftovers for lunch.

It takes time to set up a system (and time is something I don't have a lot of as a FT working mother of 3, and a husband who is in law school at night, and kids who are on the swim team), but once it is set up - it is really easy to maintain (loving my crockpot), and you and your family will reap the benefits!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    And the best thing? It really does save money (I used to go to Starbucks everyday for a venti non-fat vanilla latte and a morning bun - yikes - easily $7 a day and adds up to $140 a month. Frozen lunches were easily $5 a lunch - another $100.) Now I make large batches of soup, stews, etc. in the crockpot and the kids and I take the leftovers for lunch.

It takes time to set up a system (and time is something I don't have a lot of as a FT working mother of 3, and a husband who is in law school at night, and kids who are on the swim team), but once it is set up - it is really easy to maintain (loving my crockpot), and you and your family will reap the benefits!

WOW! You and me both, sister! I am the biggest Starbucks feind and will easily drop $5 a day there. And I usually don't get anything to eat!

I'm going to have to focus on that Crockpot thing. I have one and my hubby LOVES stew and roast beef.......Do you have any good recipes that you can email me?
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

WOW! You and me both, sister! I am the biggest Starbucks feind and will easily drop $5 a day there. And I usually don't get anything to eat!

I'm going to have to focus on that Crockpot thing. I have one and my hubby LOVES stew and roast beef.......Do you have any good recipes that you can email me?

The neat thing about the crockpot is - you really can't go wrong (with a few exceptions) - you can throw just about ANYTHING in there, and it turns out pretty darn good.

A couple websites:
    http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

And I bought a slow cooker recipe book called: "not your mother's slow cooker cookbook" - it has some fun, more gourmet type of recipes (which is more up my alley than the standard beef stew, etc.)

I've made enchiladas, split pea soup, chicken noodle soup, pulled BBQ beef (for sandwiches), no-noodle lasagna (eggplant subsitutes the noodles), etc.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

The neat thing about the crockpot is - you really can't go wrong (with a few exceptions) - you can throw just about ANYTHING in there, and it turns out pretty darn good.

A couple websites:
    http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes/
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

And I bought a slow cooker recipe book called: "not your mother's slow cooker cookbook" - it has some fun, more gourmet type of recipes (which is more up my alley than the standard beef stew, etc.)

I've made enchiladas, split pea soup, chicken noodle soup, pulled BBQ beef (for sandwiches), no-noodle lasagna (eggplant subsitutes the noodles), etc.

Awesome! THanks!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump.... :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Basically, I would have to cut out 99 % of my diet to qualify for clean eating. :tongue: I wish I had the resolve/ means to eat clean at least most of the time, but it's a big commitment.

With 2 close people in your life already following the lifestyle, it should make it easier if you choose to go that route.
  • ThePoptart
    Options
    oh clean eating...don't know if i have the motivation to do that again, haha. I did it last year for a long time and got ridiculously skinny and maintained it...maybe I'll work my way up to it again.

I recommend trying it. You'll be surprised how amazing you feel and physical changes you wouldn't even expect....like my skin and hair started to almost glow and my eyes seemed more open and glossy, hehe