do you weigh your food????

Options

Replies

• chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    I think that using the scale is much faster than other methods of measuring - and also more accurate. I wish I had thought of using it before; I love to cook.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh and measure and I've been doing this for over a year now. At first I did it with everything and after a while I got better at eyeballing what a portion was, but I still weigh and measure regularly now to make sure I'm still accurate. I think you have to know how much you're really eating so you can stare the math in the face and then do something about it. I find it very powerful to know exactly what I'm dealing with because then I know what to do to change it. :)
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I weigh my food. What's the point of tracking if you're not going to be accurate? Does your other half think putting the correct numbers in to balance your checkbook is obsessive? :laugh:

LOL I love this! And most definitely I weigh my food. I attribute all of my success to getting my portions under control with my scale. My eyeballs are much bigger than what an actual serving is!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I didn't measure or weigh at all... then I started writing out my recipes, which required some kind of measurement... and since I know some folks like weights for their measurements, I do both. I measure in a cup/spoon and on the scale.

I found my eyes were pretty good at portions, but I'm a lifelong cook (learned my fractions cooking with my mom) which I think helped.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I measure things to start out with, but just things I don't have a good reference for (like cereal.) Once I have a good handle on what a serving of something looks like, I stop measuring.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    YES!! have to! or else you really have no idea how much of what you're eating. over time some things you will not weigh as much because you will be a better judge of it, but I think it's important in the beginning, most people have portion sizes completely out of whack!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I do the first time I eat something so I learn to eyeball it. 4oz of chicken sure doesn't look like a meal!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food all the time and its has actually got to the stage were its second nature to me now, I dont think its obsessive because its very easy to under estimate. I ignore what others say about it because its working for me and thats all that matters :)
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Yep, I do too. One of the biggest errors I've made is by trusting my gut- and well, it's not been my friend. It always says, MORE MORE...
    and I count out servings if things like crackers/chips say 15, 20, etc....

I've been at this for about 12 weeks- and I'm still measuring- but now I've started to "test myself" on how good I'm learning this lesson ( cuz eating out isn't something I'm planning on giving up- and I'm not dragging my scales to the picnics)

So, I've been dishing it out- with a keener sense of what a 1/2 cup of whatever looks like- THEN, just to see how close I am,
    THEN I'll scoop it into the measuring cup..and see how accurate my eyeballs are NOW........
    And I ^5 myself when I'm right on- That's a NonScale Victory in my book!!!

This could, quite possibly, put me in the total freak category
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YES! Accuracy goes both ways with food...

I don't measure everything, just the items I am not familiar with. (for example: after measuring out 1 oz of shredded cheese, I can measure out w/the scale)

I found that I was over estimating my food amounts, and actually eating less than I originally thought.
  • sl1mmy
    sl1mmy Posts: 185
    Options
    I weight food witch is hight in calories ( meat, cheese, bread loaf ) but not the vegetables witch I eyeball.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just guess. I do sometimes measure out things like cups but that's it.
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Totally weigh if it's easy to overeat. Like CHEESE! Yummy...cheese...
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never use to weigh foods but recently got a scale and love it. If you want to stick to any plan you have to be somewhat rigid and what others might think as 'obsessive' otherwise it probably won't work. I don't weigh everything but sometimes snacks and meats. I do it unobtrusively so hubby (who is not into the watching the food mode but should be) probably doesn't even realize when I'm weighing things. It just can't hurt and so be it if he thinks its obsessive! Stick to it girl!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    <~Weighs food still on my digital food scale. Too easy to misjudge portion sizes, So when I'm in my kitchen... I weigh it. If anybody says anything I wack them with a big wooden spoon... That shuts them right up!! ☺☺
  • risaiz
    risaiz Posts: 47
    Options
    I weigh my food. If I didn't, I would probably eat 2 or 3 servings of food rather than 1 serving of food. It helps to know how much food I am actually consuming. I wouldn't call it obsessive because the reason that it's being done is for accuracy of calories which would otherwise be a guesstimate.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I weigh my stuff so i can know how much i am eating, since i have been doing this for 55 days now i do have a good eye for weighing but i am not there just yet. better to be safe then sorry. I will also weigh the stuff that measures in cups and grams, sometimes it is off and i follow the grams not the cups.
  • Mollfie
    Mollfie Posts: 8
    Options
    I do for anything that needs it, my fiancé think it's sensible to get the right amounts of things then you don't end up making too much!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i weigh absolutely everything even when i justhave to have fast food i bring it home and check to maake sure the servings match up to what it says on the website and if its not on the website i just dont eat it
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Nope
    I use measuring cups and spoons if the item's serving size is by that kind of measurement, or I count it out if it's something like chips, etc.
    For other items, I go by fractions. For instance, if I buy 1.5 lbs of chicken breasts, and cut the 3 breasts into halves, then I log each half I eat as 4 oz. (24 oz total / 6). Even if one piece was 4.5 oz, that means the other 0.5 oz was taken from the other pieces, and eating all of the chicken would add up to the same amount of calories.