For anyone eating over 2000 calories a day....

Options
For anyone eating over 2000 calories a day...after exercise of course... are you steadily losing weight? maintaining?

I would like to know what others are doing. I am at a healthy BMI and BF% but want 10 more lbs gone... like yesterday LOL

I've plateaued since starting to eat more because I was afraid of hitting a plateau like I have in the past so I slowly have upped my calories by 100 at a time. I started out at 1400 and am now up to 1800 daily allowance and usually after exercise it goes up to somewhere around 2500. I was afraid of eating them all back so many days I fell short of 2000. This week I made the effort to increase my intake to be at least 2000 a day and although my scale hasn't moved yet, I have lost a few inches and gained some major definition. I am hopefully that my scale will move soon. I wondered if anyone else is eating over 2000 calories in a day and still losing weight. Seems like I am eating a ton of food. Not that I am complaining... I've spent months depriving myself. Thoughts? Experiences? Please share.

Replies

• wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I eat over 2000 calories on exercise days and I am steadily losing weight but I am a big guy...on exercise days for me to maintain, I would have to eat around 3000 calories...gosh! lol
  • mroger801
    mroger801 Posts: 91
    Options
    Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are doing strength training, it could be that you've got muscle weight that you would want to keep. Perhaps be focused on clothing size and definition than the ultimate weight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2200-2500 calories a day and have been happily maintaining my goal weight of 145lbs (I fluctuate between 143-146 usually during the day, but almost always am I 145lbs in the morning when I weigh in).

I work in retail so I am on my feet 4-5 days a week for 5-9 hours a day. And other than breaks and a lunch (on longer days), I am literally on my feet the entire day.

On days I work, but don't workout - I aim for the 2200 calories. On days I don't work, but I workout - I aim for 2350. On days I work AND I workout - I aim for 2500.

These are NET calories. :)

I've had a few days where I was closer to 3000 calories and I did lose a few pounds, but that's just too much for me to eat all the time. Plus, I'm happy with this weight.

I workout 3 days a week for 60 mins each time. I've been focusing less on cardio and more on strength training or circuit training and in doing so, I feel like I HAD to up my calories to keep up with what I'm burning in a day. When I take my BMR and multiply it by my activity level -- those numbers come back around 2100 calories a day to maintain. I've found my body needs more calories or it gets super grumpy. lol.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Honestly. ditch your scale and stick with your measurements, as you look like you're in pretty good shape already. In the end, do you want the number or do you want the overall great body and appearance?

I'm projecting to lose 35 pounds, but if I only lose 20 and fit back into my size five jeans....I'll call it a success!
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    chevy88grl - Good to hear from someone else who works in retail! I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and I'm working on the basis of 1,500 calories right now. I don't think I'd lose anything if I ate over 2,000 even though I exercise most days.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified that I am looking to maintain my muscle and shed a little of the remaining flab but I don't want to deprive my muscles/body of the calories it needs to keep building in the right direction. So I am very curious at this point if , while feeding my muscles the calories it needs, if I will still be able to deprive the fat enough for it to go away. LOL If that makes any sense...

You all are so helpful! I appreciate it. If it wasn't for all the helpful people on MFP I wouldn't be in the best shape of my life right now. I, unfortunately, thrive on the numbers and the challenges and want to push myself into even better shape... the RIGHT way. I see more and more women on daily eating far less than me and it's hard not to compare our diaries and wonder if I am just being a pig or if I am doing what is right for me at this point in the game. Thank you!!!
  • ashleyRN90
    Options
    I eat over 2,000 calories a day and maintain a health BMI (on the lower end of healthy) Some people tell me I should gain a few pounds. I am a nurse so I stay really active at my job 3x a week. On my days off I exercise intermittently, whether its running 2-3 miles or doing an hour of strength training classes. Everytime I try to eat 1300 or 1200 calories I just feel like I can't function