Giving blood?

Options
Has anyone donated blood while using MFP?

I think I might need to up my calories a little bit to cover the fact that I donated.

I was planning to workout today, too. I think I am going to wait and see on that. Might need to skip it for the day.

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options

I think I might need to up my calories a little bit to cover the fact that I donated.

I was planning to workout today, too. I think I am going to wait and see on that. Might need to skip it for the day.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to up your calories... you're not "burning" anything by giving blood really. Yes, your body must expend energy to produce more red blood cells, but not significantly.

Eat a small carbohydrate snack and drink plenty of fluids.
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    I have given blood since being on MFP. I have read that you burn 650 calories over a 36 hour period to remake the blood you donated. I ate an extra 100 cals for 3 days to offset this. It might not be necessary but it didn't hinder my weightloss.
    I did work out the day I gave blood but before. And I made sure I had a few hours between exercise and donating. Also made sure I had a good meal just before donating.
    Just my 2 cents. :bigsmile:
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Yes, I stuck a line into my vein and put the other end into the computer. I hope it makes it to MFP.

LMAO! :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Yes, I stuck a line into my vein and put the other end into the computer. I hope it makes it to MFP.

:laugh: Nicely done Max :wink:

I'm donating tomorrow, and hoping I can still make it through my Pilates/ body sculpt class. I talked to the instructor today, and assuming I have the energy, I'll go to class and give minimal effort. I just can't fathom taking off a workout day. (I know that if I do take off one, it will turn into a month!)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: She said has anyone donated blood while using MFP not has anyone donated blood to MFP. Try again. :bigsmile:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Last time I donated I counted the pretzels and cookie I ate afterwards as 'free' then just listened to how I was feeling the next couple days, and if I was hungry I ate something healthy.

I did workout the evening after I donated, but very low impact.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Last time I donated I counted the pretzels and cookie I ate afterwards as 'free' then just listened to how I was feeling the next couple days, and if I was hungry I ate something healthy.

The food afterwards being "free"... that sounds like a great plan!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Random note: The bunny at the bottom of your posts stealing the cookie is sooooo cute!! :smile:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.

So turns out you aren't supposed to exercise for 24hrs afterwards.

But I am so okay with the "free" cookies and juice! :drinker:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have read that you burn 650 calories over a 36 hour period to remake the blood you donated.

yep, that's true. I've given blood twice since on MFP and do increase my calorie intake for that day and the next. I would advise to workout before, not after. You're body will let you know....just be keen on the signs. Be sure to eat a healthy meal before with lots of water, too.

Good for you for giving the gift of life! :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I donated last week, went and worked out before, then showered and hit the hospital. It didn't affect anything that I noticed. I had a can of V-8 (only 30 calories--half of the other juices) while I was there, then came home and ate lunch. And took a nap, but then again, I'm a napper--I take a nap 3 or 4 days a week when I can :yawn: I didn't know about the not working out for 24 hours, I didn't have a problem the next day when I went to the gym. Guess it was close enough.
    -Robin