Strength and Tone

Options
I have a lot of weight to lose, and have been actively working out for about 2-3 weeks now on a regular basis. I am seeing results as I have lost 7 lbs but I would like to begin to incorporate strength building and toning. My endurance is going up and I am able to do more and more each time I work out, but I'm afraid that in 3 or 4 months I'll be having tons of loose skin as the weight keeps coming off if I don't add the strength training. I have never really succesfully strength trained before and am lost as to where to begin. What is your best routine for strength training? Is there a workout dvd that you like, or maybe a link to a routine that could be done at home with hand weights? I'm really open for any suggestions because I'm lost in this department. Thanks for any input!

Aubrey

MFP SW 239
CW 231

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is a great cardio workout that incorporates strength training. LMK if you'd like more info
  • NicholeTrussell
    NicholeTrussell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a big gal and like the Biggest Loser DVDS..very effective...I also have several friends that swear by the Beachbody stuff...P90X, Insanity, and various others...some are larger people too...so just depends on what you are interested in...Some are higher intensity than others...find one you like and work your way up! Good luck!
  • CaptObvious
    CaptObvious Posts: 117
    Options
    Check out this website: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html

There are a lot of routines for every fitness level. Some could be done at home and some need gym equipment. Each exercise includes a link to a video demonstration. It's very handy!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! You're doing great!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    The strength training at Curves is what I attribute my lack of loose skin to. The machines automatically increase the resistance as you get stronger. I never hit a plateau and I do not have near as much loose skin as you'd expect (except for my "Wings" of course, but who doesn't have wings?)
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Tons of things out there on the internet for you to review and choose from. As for the loose skin, I don't think it all ever tones up like I'd like it too for I have the same problem and have even considered surgery to get rid of some of it. You are right however, without some strength-weight training none of the skin would ever tone up, so get started. Don't be heart broken when you don't see it toning up like you want, it takes time and as I said all the skin is hard to firm when your like me. Good look and get started. Oh, some creams do help but only with elasticicty and they too are slow in working. However every little bit helps so forge ahaed.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Check out kettlebell routines. Jillian Michael shred it with weights, and lots of YouTube videos. Kettlebells are very versatile. All you need is a couple of kettlebells and you are all set. I have 2-5 lb kbs, and 1-15lb kb. I would recommend a 10 lb and 5 lb to start. Good luck!