Strength training/burning calories?

Options
just wondering why this is telling me that none of my
strength training is burining calories? Where I have entered it there is just a dash.
Anyone else encounter this?

Replies

• Alykzandria
    Alykzandria Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've also seen the same thing. Not sure about it the issue there but I still log it anyhow.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have, too! That's my biggest pet peeve with myfitnesspal. It acts like lifting weights doesn't count, but it burns more calories for longer than cardio does!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you need to add the strength in the cardio section too. it will take off the calories you burned there.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You can also look it up in cardio.... I think the other one is just to keep record of weight and reps
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hey all, make sure you check the HELP link at the top of each page when you have questions about the program and logging. Here is your answer from there:
    Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Yep, under cardio there is a Strength Training/Weightlifting option, as well as Circuit Training - General. Use whichever more closely describes what you did, and that's where the calories will show.

The strength tracker is mostly just that - to keep track of what you did, what weight, how many reps, etc.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    There is a strength training option under cardio for you to add it.
    The other option is to track sets, weights etc
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I recommend wearing a HRM when you lift. :D