AB Routines

Options
I carry pretty much all my weight in my stomach. Does anyone know of any really good ab routines that will really make me lose inches and tone up? Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    I carry pretty much all my weight in my stomach. Does anyone know of any really good ab routines that will really make me lose inches and tone up? Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:
  • innocent75
    innocent75 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know you're not going to want to hear this, but you cannot spot reduce.

I am not saying you shouldn't work your abs, just don't count on doing crunches and getting thinner around the waist. The only way is diet and exercise. I have found the cardio and interval traing worked best for me... also weight training is good for a "long" calorie burn.

Just my $.02
  • FitAt47
    Options
    There's no such thing as spot reduction, that is, in order to lose weight on your stomach you'll have to lose weight across your entire body. Rather than focusing on just ab exercises, I would consider doing cardio at least 3x a week, 45 minutes each. You could start out slow by walking, and then when you're in better shape turn it into a speed walk.

In combination with the weekly cardio work, you could then throw in some ab work, but no more than 3x a week. Again, start slowly. Leg raises are good for your lower abs. For your upper abs, if you can't do a full sit up or it hurts your neck, then just try to raise your head off of the ground. In time, as you lose weight and become more fit, you'll be able to increase your ab.

I was always seduced by the next great ab machine or routine--and they never worked out. I realized that to lose the fat covering my stomach, I've got to lose weight over all... and I'm still working at it.

Good luck.
  • mstoni04
    Options
    Although the ab workouts strengthen and define the core, the cardio is what's going to burn the fat off so the results can show. Cardio, cardio, cardio...

101604.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal