Waiting to lose some weight before hitting the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    Most of the time people are there for them and wouldnt even really bat an eyelash at anyone else, but I certainly agree with you. I would like to join a gym, or the YMCA and lift weights but I want to slim down a bit so I feel a bit more confident in myself.

I have been lucky enough to have a Treadmill and Exercise bike in my home though so... I dont really have a use for joining a gym right now cause I can do my cardio in the house.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I guess the question is whether you are truly concerned about your health and that's the reason you're staying home from the gym, or if you're embarrassed and maybe unsure what to do there. If it's the latter you can always get a session or two with a personal trainer to learn the ropes, or bring a friend along! And know that lots of people at the gym probably feel the same, or if they're judging, eff them.

All that said - there's nothing wrong with walking outside of the gym, either. As long as you're getting some exercise in, awesome! :)

Yep! I'm wondering if it's more of a confidence issue or a lack of knowledge on gyming? If your issue is that you are self-conscious about your image I can tell you till I'm blue in the face that no one is gonna give a hoot (since they are there to work out on themselves) and most gyms/people at gyms I've been to have been extremely uninterested/passively friendly places. But that is a lesson learned by oneself.
    A pool sounds perfect for your joints. If you can afford the initial fee/membership cost of a gym, perhaps for now look for a used elliptical (or a new one? I have no idea how much they go for in the states these days) and use that at home. Also if money isn't a barrier a heart rate monitor to track your calories accurately. I lost 20 lbs in 4 months dieting, then got back into gym (just because I wasnt going- not that I felt I shouldn't/couldn't go). So weight loss can be done without a gym membership.
    Also, MFP LOVES 30 Day Shred, and I'm sure there are many at home fitness programs you can find online that are suitable for your fitness level (exercise.tv is a great resource).
    Sometimes I think I could do without the gym as all I do is run on the treadmill, kickboxing, yoga and weight train, which could all be done at home (I live across the street from a huge park). But the accountability I feel from paying the membership fee and also once I'm in the car on my way there I know it's the hardest part is over, it's worth it every day.
    Feel free to add me and I'm sure you will find all the advice you're looking for here on the boards :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Since you have quite a bit to lose, walking is a great way to get started without too much impact...and I agree with others who've recommended swimming/water aerobics and low impact exercises like the elliptical and stationary bike. Also look into strength training with either free weights or machines ;)

Good luck! You can do it!
  • emfoley2
    emfoley2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree, walking is great exercise. Another thing that helped me get started is yoga - the stretching, flexibility and strength I gained made it easier to get motivated and active. A good instructor will offer you modifications for the knee issues, even in a group class.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm like that in a way, but I'm just working out at home until I feel fit and confident enough to jog around my neighborhood.
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I like walking. I have bad knees so I tend to stay on the elliptical, sometimes the treadmill, but if the knees are REALLY problematic then I would probably hit the pool (no one cares what you look like if its the gym pool, they're in the same journey as you, just at a different point in their journey. IMHO)

I've been on here about a month and I'm not exercising yet. I plan to start after I hit the 10 lbs lost mark, I feel like I'm getting the motivation up and getting used to the calorie counting before I start with the exercising. I figure I'll start working out at home as I get used to the early mornings (workout before work) and really spend some time on stretching. It always gets me motivated.

One step at a time for me, and so far its working out great.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Does your gym or park district have a poo; where they might offer water aerobics classes--those are really easy on the knees.

I would hate to start with water aerobics in "poo". Sorry, couldn't resist :)
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Does your gym or park district have a poo; where they might offer water aerobics classes--those are really easy on the knees.

I would hate to start with water aerobics in "poo". Sorry, couldn't resist :)

♥AHAHAHAH I was going to comment on that one too but decided no I cant lol Too Easy!!!!! ♥
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Coming from the tough love camp, that sounds like you are making excuses to not do what you know you need to.

Would you wait till you were dehydrated to drink water?

Would you wait till you had emphysema to quite smoking?

If you don't care about yourself enough to make changes, then follow your current patterns. But don't ask others to condone it.

If you really want to make changes, create new patterns and activities. You have the strength within you. Tap into it, and you will find yourself with an abundance of love and support! People have amazing strength and determination. Find your's and move forward.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. Wa;lking is good. I am doing lots of it at the moment. I started off slow too, but you'll be surprised how quickly your fitness changes and you are able to walk faster and longer. Just be patient. You can do it!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Coming from the tough love camp, that sounds like you are making excuses to not do what you know you need to.

Would you wait till you were dehydrated to drink water?

Would you wait till you had emphysema to quite smoking?

If you don't care about yourself enough to make changes, then follow your current patterns. But don't ask other's to condone it.

You don't HAVE to go to the gym to get fit. There is plenty of free stuff, like walking (which the OP said they're doing), which you can do at home or around your neighborhood and get in just as good of shape as you would at the gym.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Robogreifer -

I never said you had to join a gym to get fit. However, her asking the question implies that she knows it would be something that would help her. Additionally, if you think walking is going build fitness in the same manner as spin classes, elliptical machines, bikes, weights, circuit training, etc., you are fooling yourself.

I haven't used my gym membership in nearly a month. Just can't stand being inside. I am continuing my fitness path by running, biking, riding, hiking and bucking hay. But there is no way I would have gone from 220 to 160 since January without hitting the gym and the support of the people I met there.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont think its good for vanity to be the only reason that you are not going to the gym. I was not looking forward to it, but I was suprised to see larger people at my gym. Theres a big range - old to young, fit to overweight.

However, if anything other than walking is hurting your knees, you would need to restrict yourself at the gym anyways. The cross trainer is good for knees.

To be honest, I dont pay attention to anyone else at the gym, I TOTALLY zone out and get engrossed in the telly/music TV. I now couldnt care less what people think of me when I am in a place where I am trying to reduce my size.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I never said you had to join a gym to get fit. However, her asking the question implies that she knows it would be something that would help her. Additionally, if you think walking is going build fitness in the same manner as spin classes, elliptical machines, bikes, weights, circuit training, etc., you are fooling yourself.

For someone just starting out and with a lot of weight to lose, walking may be the best or ONLY option. A gym can definitely offer a variety of low-impact options, but you're still going to have to take it slow, so I see no problem with someone working their way up to that, as long as you're getting out and actually putting in the work.

I've lost 20 pounds in two months without a gym. It's a benefit to some people, I'm sure, but, for me, it's not something I feel is worth spending money on when I have all the tools I need, free of charge.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

For someone just starting out and with a lot of weight to lose, walking may be the best or ONLY option. A gym can definitely offer a variety of low-impact options, but you're still going to have to take it slow, so I see no problem with someone working their way up to that, as long as you're getting out and actually putting in the work.

I've lost 20 pounds in two months without a gym. It's a benefit to some people, I'm sure, but, for me, it's not something I feel is worth spending money on when I have all the tools I need, free of charge.

I agree with both sides :)
    It is a bit of a leading question to say "is it beneficial to join a gym?" because well, yes, it is. The classes, the equipment, the learning, the comradarie, but mostly (for me) it is the getting out of the house and being somewhere where the only things I can do are workout and... workout. There's no distraction. At home I can find 3940823 things to do besides exercise (or get outside and exercise). So for that reason alone, it's worth it for me.
    Like I said in my previous post- there are lots of things you can do at home to work out. Mainly if you can't work out due to health problems- diet is KEY. I lost 20 lbs dieting, now I run a mile everyday.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    The majority of the people that workout at the gym were overweight at one time or another. They are there now because it's part of their lifestyle.
    Most people are afraid to go to a gym because they believe everyone will stare at them or are unconfident that they know how to exercise while there.
    Believe me when I say, NO ONE CARES ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK at the gym. They are all too busy looking at themselves. If you're not sure how to exercise on the machines, almost every gym has an orientation introduction to the weight machines for free.
    Take the step, it's just one more hurdle you'll overcome faster.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    It is a bit of a leading question to say "is it beneficial to join a gym?" because well, yes, it is. The classes, the equipment, the learning, the comradarie, but mostly (for me) it is the getting out of the house and being somewhere where the only things I can do are workout and... workout.
    See, that I DEFINITELY agree with. There are a LOT of benefits to a gym, especially if you're just starting out and have no clue WHERE to start. I'm a bit agoraphobic, though, so the thought of THAT MANY people around when I'm doing something I find ridiculously embarrassing absolutely scares the crap out of me. That's why I prefer to learn and try stuff on my own at home or around my neighborhood. Some people, though, get a lot more benefit from having someone else teach them, and I totally understand that.
    There's no distraction. At home I can find 3940823 things to do besides exercise (or get outside and exercise). So for that reason alone, it's worth it for me.
    LOL, I use said distractions to my benefit. When I'm doing one of my work-outs, I'll crank up one of my favorite TV shows or movies, start making a mental grocery list, take some time to think about a book I'm reading/just read, cranks up the tunes, etc. I'm a hopeless multi-tasker, so I have to be doing SOMETHING, even if it's just thinking. If I'm REALLY bored, I'll do something ridiculous, like actively sort my laundry (which I'm sure is a sight) or dance around to my music like a fool. I have a lot of experience with keeping myself occupied as somewhat of a shut-in, though, so it's not really that much of a stretch for me to translate sedentary activities into work-out activities. As long as I make sure the blinds are shut and the door is locked, first. >_>