15 minutes?

Options
azlady7
azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
I read somewhere yesterday that doing 15 minutes of exercise 2-4 times a day will help you lose more weight that doing 30-60 minutes straight through once a day. I wanted to try it and see how it works, but I was curious if any of you out there do this and if so what do you think? Do notice a difference?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think that the afterburn effect has something to do with it - especially for strength training. Your body keeps burning after exercise - so if you exercise more frequently you'll get that afterburn effect more often.

I personally don't have the time available to do short blocks in the day - I set aside my gym time and go for 30-60 minutes in one block. I don't want to shower 4 times a day either...
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    yeah the 3-4 showers a day bothers me too, but i am a stay at home mom soooo its not too bad, just a pain
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too. I agree with the comments regarding having to take all of those showers...total pain. I usually try to work out in the morning before I shower for work!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've been walking hard for two miles (40 minutes) four times a week during my lunch hour since February. I stalled out my loss after 2.5 pounds. About a month ago I added a workout DVD that I do after dinner and I've lost 3.5 more pounds. Most of that has been in the past two weeks with the 30 Day Shred. There's no way I could fit in anything more but adding that extra workout has made a big difference for me.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've heard that your body doesn't even start to release the stress releasing, feel good, benificial hormones until 20+ min. I *think* they (it was in a Jillian Michael's podcast) said that the full effects were around 45 min. So maybe instead of doing a long 90 min, you could do two 45 min. Seems like quite a bit though. I'm barely doing a consistent 25.