Addicted to the scale?

Options
I have a chuck of weight I would like to lose. Ive been dieting and exercising and just recently started the 30DS. Before joining this website I would weigh myself just to see my progress but now that I'm logging my food and weight I've noticed the amount I actually step on the scale. Im sure the amount hasn't changed- Im just being conscious of it now.

So my question would be: Do you think there's such thing as being addicted to the scale?

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I weigh myself every day! Everyone says just weigh yourself once a week but I cant. I weigh everyday in the morning before my shower. But I log my weight in MFP once a week though. So yeah I agree you can be. Its not healthy I kinda obsess over it.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale atleast 2x a day... It helps me to stay on track =) As long as you don't get upset when you see it go up I think that it's fine =)
  • jadejellybones
    Options
    Definitely. Or, even if you aren't "addicted", per say, there is such a thing as being unhealthily attached to the scale.
    EDIT: Though, I think that it's fine unless you start getting stressed out over the number being higher than the last time you stepped on it. In that case, it's not healthy at all, cos you're just causing yourself anxiety over a number that WILL fluctuate day-to-day.
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes! Definitely!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I just realised I'm addicted too... I went on holiday for a week and felt strange every time I went to the toilet/shower because that's when I usually step on the scale. I only log once a week... but I've realised I step on a LOT more than I thought I did. It took all my effort after coming home yesterday afternoon to wait until my morning pee this morning to weigh in. I knew I'd have a bit of extra weight from my holiday so didn't want to weigh at night cos I'm always heavier then... wasn't so bad after all...

PS I always weigh myself before and after number twos... I'm curious...
  • AnotherMichelle
    AnotherMichelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ah Im glad im not the only one who weighs myself more than once a week... or day haha. I usually weigh myself before I hop in the shower in the morning but ive been catching myself stepping on even when im just washing my hands or something as well. I dont think I do it enough for it to be unhealthy and I dont get upset or even discouraged when its not a number I dont like but its still one of those... "Oh... I might want to stop doing it so much" type things haha
  • AnotherMichelle
    Options
    Ah Im glad im not the only one who weighs myself more than once a week... or day haha. I usually weigh myself before I hop in the shower in the morning but ive been catching myself stepping on even when im just washing my hands or something as well. I dont think I do it enough for it to be unhealthy and I dont get upset or even discouraged when its not a number I dont like but its still one of those... "Oh... I might want to stop doing it so much" type things haha
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    YES!!! I weigh myself every day! Everyone says just weigh yourself once a week but I cant. I weigh everyday in the morning before my shower. But I log my weight in MFP once a week though. So yeah I agree you can be. Its not healthy I kinda obsess over it.

I weigh everyday in the AM. I dont think I am obsessive. Just like to see where I stand with weight loss process. I use to quit stepping on the scale until I went to a MD for a appointment. It was 305, they nearly had to do CPR on me. I couldnt beleive it. Never again. Everyday I will check it.In this case ignorance is not bliss for me:bigsmile:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day to help me maintain my weight loss. i don't consider it an addiction. i give myself a five pound range or so, and the morning number helps me pick what i eat that day.

whether doing so is healthy or not depends on the individual, i suppose. i feel that it works for me, so i plan to continue.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes. Before starting MFP i avoided it like the plague.
    Now I am on it everytime i am in my bathroom. I get more good out of it than bad I think. I also only log it here once a week. Maybe mid week if there is a consistant loss I am confident logging.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    i went from age 19-22 not looking at the scale b/c i knew i had gained weight, i just didn't want to see how much. at 18 i wasn't skinny, or fit, but i wasn't large- i was 145 pounds and felt good most of the time. when i finally broke down and got a scale i was shocked to see i had gone up to 236! and at 23 (being only 5'3") that was crushing! in about 6 months i had went down to 217 because of my depression and not eating, but i was having fainting spells and couldn't focus on what someone would tell me.

so once i found this site, i do weight myself daily (but weigh in once a week) just so i can see how food is effecting my body. i could sit down and eat 3-4 serving of something before. now, i'll eat the one serving and get on the scale, it helps me to keep my eating under control if i can see that the food i'm eating now is actually filling me up- it's all mental, i know, but it helps me keep from eating everything i see
  • AnotherMichelle
    Options
    i went from age 19-22 not looking at the scale b/c i knew i had gained weight, i just didn't want to see how much. at 18 i wasn't skinny, or fit, but i wasn't large- i was 145 pounds and felt good most of the time. when i finally broke down and got a scale i was shocked to see i had gone up to 236! and at 23 (being only 5'3") that was crushing! in about 6 months i had went down to 217 because of my depression and not eating, but i was having fainting spells and couldn't focus on what someone would tell me.

so once i found this site, i do weight myself daily (but weigh in once a week) just so i can see how food is effecting my body. i could sit down and eat 3-4 serving of something before. now, i'll eat the one serving and get on the scale, it helps me to keep my eating under control if i can see that the food i'm eating now is actually filling me up- it's all mental, i know, but it helps me keep from eating everything i see

Ah I know exactly what you mean. Im 5'1 and was the same way at 18-19 but then I had a kid and its been downhill from there. Still struggling hah. Feel free to friend me for the support!