Feet burning when using elliptical....

Options
So I tend to run on the ball of my foot. I have tried many different shoes to see if it might help. I am currently running in K-Swiss Mesoul. Still have the front half of my foot fall asleep, and then burn. Anyone have any thoughts?

Replies

• Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Ow! The same thing happens to me! I have no idea what to do either! :-(
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    happens to me too!

I usually make a point of wriggling my toes around inside my shoes every 5 mins. It helps keep the circulation going :bigsmile:
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Happens to me - usually why I hate the elliptical. Try putting your feet in different positions on the foot pads .... all 4 directions. Do you lean forward or stand in a neutral position?
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This is a common experience. Try if you can to shift your weight to your heels. Pull harder with your arms. Gently and nearly not noticeably, lift your feet.

Keep at it! One of the best burns out there!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I peddle forward for 5 mins then backward for 5 mins and that usually helps me :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Back in college when I had "free" (included in tuition) access to the gym I would have the same thing happen to me... mainly my 4th and 5th toes. Although probably not the smartest idea, I just tried to ignore it and continue on. I've not used an elliptical in about 4 years so I don't know if I would have the same problem now.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen. I try to wiggle my feet while I'm on it, but to be honest, I tend to go to the treadmill or orbital because it's really uncomfortable when it happens.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Loosen your shoes. Trust me.
  • Millie77
    Millie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    Happens to me too, the whole bottom of my foot burns like crazy! I thought it was because I have flat feet, I'm not sure how to stop it because moving my feet to different positions doesn't help. It happens everywhere, treadmill, elliptical, and bike. If you find anything that helps, I would love to know.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too...I try to wriggle my toes and concentrate on keeping my heels down...I won't go more than about 20 mins because of it
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i had problems with that too...i find that when i use the arc trainer this doesnt happen to me though.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Loosen your shoes. Trust me.

Seriously!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    my guess is when you exercise your feet swell so your shoes are cutting off circulation. Loosen shoes and re-adjust your feet on the steps.
    It happens to me too, I think it's quite common.
    Good luck
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Might have something to do with shoes? Elliptical doesn't do that to me... something similar happens to me when I run though. My left foot starts to go numb and I gotta slow down and shake it around a bit to get the feeling back.
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    loosen your shoes and try different socks. I have the same issue with just one foot that I broke about 10 years ago. I've found that most of the time it's just the way the shoe and/or sock are pressing on the foot.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    changing socks made the difference for me.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This totally happened to me! I got some Under Armor running shoes and that seems to make a huge difference. If I go for long periods of time they still tend to burn though. Weird! I thought I was the only one :)
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just suck it up and push through it. Not sure, but I will try to loosen my shoes, and different socks!
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also have problems with the balls of my feet and toes hurting and 'falling' asleep'. I try to shift my weight around and lift my feet to keep the blood flowing. It's the only thing keeping me from going longer on the elliptical which is what I'd like to do. it's frustrating!
    Luckily my gym also has these which doesn't bother my feet.....unfortunately this trainer doesn't use the upperbody like the regular elliptical.
    http://www.precor.com/products/en/commercial/cardio/new-experience/ellipticals/efx-883-elliptical-fitness-crosstrainer
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    WARNING: I fractured the navicular bone in my left foot using an elliptical trainer. I am significantly overweight, so that contributed, but it was mostly improper use. I was alone in the gym and was really getting into the music and was sort of 'dancing' and raising my heels quite high. At one point, I was actually up on my toes and that's when it happened. Craaaack. I now cannot walk at all without a custom orthotic and may never be able to walk long distances again, let alone run.

Now...I keep my feet FLAT on the pedals, shortening the stride if I have to, in order to achieve that. Ironically, it's the only cardio machine I can use now. Bike pedals too short [my foot bends over it], treadmill too hard on my foot [again, foot bends when walking] and that leaves the rowing machine. Some things just weren't built for heavy women. The rowing machine is one of them.

Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when using an elliptical trainer. Make sure your feet are relatively flat and wear well padded [in the sole] footwear, or you may inadvertently cause foot problems.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou: