For you ladies with long hair...

Options
How do you keep it out of your way when working out?

I usually just put it in a pony tail, but depending on what shirt I'm wearing, sometimes it really annoys me when it touches my back. I've also tried buns but that doesn't work well with high impact, it seems to just work it's way out or annoy me with bouncing.

My hair right now is a little past my shoulder blades, and I plan to grow it out to my waist/hips for a while.

Do you gals have any tips, or do I just have to cut it or put up with it?

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    How do you keep it out of your way when working out?

I usually just put it in a pony tail, but depending on what shirt I'm wearing, sometimes it really annoys me when it touches my back. I've also tried buns but that doesn't work well with high impact, it seems to just work it's way out or annoy me with bouncing.

My hair right now is a little past my shoulder blades, and I plan to grow it out to my waist/hips for a while.

Do you gals have any tips, or do I just have to cut it or put up with it?
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I cut mine off! I actually love it, but do kind of miss my hair sometimes! It is just above shoulder length and actually falls out of the pony tail holder all the time! It is really annoying. I am hoping to grow it a little longer and leave it there so I can keep it tied back at the gym.

I think a pony tail or a bun are really the only options I ever tried when I had my hair longer though.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My hair is to the middle (or lower) to my back. When it's tied back it only hits my shirts, because obviously the middle of my back has a shirt covering it.

I think you're just in that awkward middle stage for growing your hair out.

Can you make the ponytail really high? Maybe that'll help.
  • drinkfreshwater
    Options
    Try a higher pony tail or braids.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    If I do a high pony tail it swings and gets caught under my arms. :laugh:

Maybe I need to try to get it a little higher.

I really don't want to cut it for a few years, because I've wanted to grow my hair out since I was in my early teens and always ended up cutting it then regretting it.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    What about this?

swim-caps.jpg

You'd look great in the polka dot one-- :bigsmile:
  • dgoodgion
    Options
    I would try the high ponytail...but right before you make the last wrap with your hair band slip it only halfway through/don't pull it all the way through (sort of like you didn't finish your ponytail, but it really helps when you have long hair--gives sort of a floppy appearance, but it gets the job done). I've been doing this for years now and my hair is about 4 inches below my bra strap in the back...so pretty long I think.

Good luck!
  • DaniSee
    DaniSee Posts: 35
    Options
    Hiya!

You could put it in a pony tail and wrap it up inside a baseball cap?! That way it'd keep it right out of your way :smile:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Marla:

Haha! That's great. :laugh:

dgoodgion:

I actually do that with my hair a lot! But it bounces around when I workout and annoys me. I know i know, I'm much too picky. :ohwell:

Thanks so much for the sugesstions guys!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I would try the high ponytail...but right before you make the last wrap with your hair band slip it only halfway through/don't pull it all the way through (sort of like you didn't finish your ponytail, but it really helps when you have long hair--gives sort of a floppy appearance, but it gets the job done). I've been doing this for years now and my hair is about 4 inches below my bra strap in the back...so pretty long I think.

Good luck!

This is what I do too. Sometimes I pull it up higher and make a "messy" bun vs. a neat librarian bun. My hair is super long w/ layers and this seems to be the only alternative. I think it's actually kinda cute.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Try a really really tight and high braid, then wrap the braid around into a bun and secure it either with a scrunchie or you could wrap a long strip of cloth around it first, then secure it with an elastic over the cloth. The trick is to get the bun as close to your head as possible..lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have long hair, to the middle of my back, but it doesnt seem to bother me too much.

By the time I am the end of my work out, and on the floor doing crunches and stuff, it is usally all over the place.

My dogs are worked up from me jumping around and if I dont lock them out they attack my hair! Sometimes I feel like :laugh: about it and sometimes like :grumble:

My daughter puts her in a ponytail with one rubber band, then makes a messy bun with a scruchie or larger rubber band (those ones with the cloth on them, so they dont tear up her hair)

Or you can do this:

000201A5.gif
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    a messy bun works for me - for workouts I do it high so that when i lay on the floor it doesn't cram into my head. This is a typical hair day for me - pulled back up and out of my way! I can't bring myself to cut it though--I've earned this hair...it's my 2 year old hair after chemo hair and I've only had it trimmed up - no big haircuts.
  • g0g1rl
    g0g1rl Posts: 7
    Options
    I have short hair now but two years ago I had hair way down my back. In addition to working out regularly I was doing a lot of field work (I am an archaeologist... it is about the intensity of construction work) any how... I used to ware a headband (non-adhesive athletic foam bandages work well and are cheap) and I would braid my hair. A braid kept it out of the way when I was doing floor exercises, and out of my face when I was doing anything else... It also reduced the length temporarily which was helpful.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My hair is really long (almost to my waist these days). I do a tight braid or french braid a lot - it tends to work its way out of a pony tail or bun if I am jumping around at all, and then the rubber band starts pulling. So yeah - braids are the way to go! I've been thinking of getting a sports headband-type thingy to help keep the little flyaways from sticking to my face and neck, but I haven't tried it yet.

For everyday, though - not exercising - I do the bun thing when I don't want to leave it down.
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I've been an athlete with long hair my entire life. I've found that depending on what I'm doing, different ways work best. Most useful is the mid-head ponytail with a braid. Sometimes a messy bun and sometimes pigtails. When it was really, really long (and thick), I had to run with it down!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    oh! What about a french braid tucked up underneath and pinned?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I usually put it in a pony tail holder and then use a clip to hold the pony tail up (making it shorter so it doesn't hit my neck). That holds good except during high impact, in which case it usually get shook down :)

One that doesn't look to pretty, but I've done it, is to make braided pigtails and then use a clip to hold them to the back of your neck. Having the clip go through the braids gives it a little more security.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I usually ponytail mine, it hits about halfway down my back. I don't know why but I kind of like the way it feels when it bounces against my back, lol. Maybe you could try braiding and then bunning it? or pigtail braids would keep it off your back?
  • innocent75
    innocent75 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You could try a ball cap. Or if working outside in the northeast getting to be time for a knit hat.

Not a lady, but I chimed in anyway :tongue: