Do I give up on my goal of doing a half marathon?

Options
I have been training for the last 2 months for a half marathon which is coming up in 7 weeks. I was doing really well until I got shin splints (I play hockey as well so I haven't been giving myself much rest and I think the jarring stopping and starting of sprinting up and down the turf has been the main source of the problem....). I've taken 3 weeks off and feel okay now but I feel as if I've let my training slip too much and that I've run out of time to start doing some of the longer runs that I need to make the distance on the day... I'm almost considering giving up on doing the half marathon and dropping back to doing the 12kms that the race also offers... I'm just scared the shin splints will come back.... Just wondering what other people's opinions were and whether they think I have enough time to continue preparing (I was running 15km hilly courses before I had to stop)... Thanks :) Anyone else's stories of what they are doing to prepare for HM's would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I don't run much or often, but I wanted to tell you good luck with your goal! If I were you, I think I would try to start training again and see how it goes. Will they let you downgrade to the 12K on race day? If so, just keep working and icing.
  • brittanybee07
    Options
    You did the best possible thing to heal your shin splints by taking rest. Now you need to start slow so you do not get them back. Try to work mainly on soft level surfaces to avoid injury. You will be able to run your half-marathon in seven weeks as long as you are at least out there 5 days a week for some runs. Plus, who says you have to run the entire race? Just running some of it is more than most people can do! If you ever want good information on running check out runnersworld.com... Im a running addict and spend a lot of time on there! I hope this helps!

Just keep it up =)
  • AR89
    AR89 Posts: 8
    Options
    We have until a week before to register for the race so I guess I can just keep training and if my body's not quite up to it then I can always drop back - I guess I will at least feel like I tried :) That's what I'm sad about... that I have been trying so hard and my legs just keep playing up!! lol. But thanks for the encouragement :) If I keep at it I can't say I've let myself down.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Start your Long Runs at about 20% less than you left off on. If that feels good after the first three weeks (increasing like you would of course, 1 mile per week or however you feel best), try then to increase mileage a bit more. For example: Your last long run was 8 miles, start back at 6 miles. Go to 7 the next, then 8 the third week. If this increase continues to feel right, increase as follows: week 4: 9.5, week 5 10.5, week 6 11.5/12, week 7 (race week I'm guessing?) taper with no LR since the half will be just that. I had a similar set back with an ankle flare up back in march and I followed this by suggestion of a friend that is a track/running coach. It worked great :-) Good luck!!
  • AR89
    AR89 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oook that sounds like a good idea - that's how I originally trained for the 12kms when I did it last year - gradually increasing by a km or two each week until I knew I could make the entire distance. I find it a bit hard to run five times a week with hockey training and my games each week but I guess they must count as being a type of interval training? The half marathon course is pretty hilly so I was wondering what kind of hill training is best?
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Find anywhere in your area with hills, even if its a bridge or overpass, definitely helps since its similar to what you will run on for your half.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Don't stop training...but if you have to extend your training a little bit, just pick a different half marathon to do. I'd also recommend trying a run-walk-run method like Jeff Galloway uses (www.jeffgalloway.com) and make sure you've got good shoes. Other than that, I say don't stop training, just take it slow and ease back in to the training.