Cardio or weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do both, but prefer cardio.

Actually... I prefer an activity that incorporates different things, which is why I enjoyed the Warrior Dash so much.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Both, real fitness isn't one or the other it's a mixture! I do tend to avoid the machines that have me doing .... movements... that I would never use in the real world though... so I love the rowing machine but the arc? glider or elliptical... naw, nowhere in my life do I move like that so I don't need the muscle memory of doing so ;)

I see your point in this but to me that's exactly why I do them. Because I'm working muscle I don't usually use or use less!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I prefer weights, without question, and if you're lifting correctly, you're getting a good cardio workout, too. This idea that lifting weights isn't "cardio" is ridiculous. When I finish a kettlebell workout, my heart is pounding just as much as when I finish uphill sprints.

I'm so glad you said that! I've been saying the same thing to several people and for some reason they just don't get it! Maybe it's an issue with understanding what "cardio" really means!!!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I prefer weights. Cardio bores me, so I do 15-20 minutes of HIIT and I'm done.
  • jeagirl
    jeagirl Posts: 17
    Options
    I like the combo of both and Yoga or Ballet on my rest days.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    you look wonderful!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I prefer weights, without question, and if you're lifting correctly, you're getting a good cardio workout, too. This idea that lifting weights isn't "cardio" is ridiculous. When I finish a kettlebell workout, my heart is pounding just as much as when I finish uphill sprints.

I'm so glad you said that! I've been saying the same thing to several people and for some reason they just don't get it! Maybe it's an issue with understanding what "cardio" really means!!!

I think it's just that only a tiny fragment of the fitness world (let alone the total population) understands weight training. Most people associate "cardio" with running, swimming, biking, etc., and think that weight training is only for people who want to build big muscles. Even my brother, a former athlete, told me to stop lifting weights or I would look like a football player. Three months later, he saw me and said "You're the incredible shrinking woman!" Yep. If you know what you're doing, lifting heavy weights will get rid of fat a lot faster than slow, steady cardio.