How to record fruits and veggies juiced?

Options
I'm looking at starting to juice some fruits and veggies and am wondering how I record them. Example: Here's a recipe I'm looking at---

Apple-Pear

1 Apple
2 Pears
1 Piece Ginger (thumb sized)

Is that what I record in my diary?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    That is what I would do.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked that because I am running into it myself!!!! That was my guess too. I figure there really isn't much left when I'm done juicing (dog won't even eat it). It has to be all in the glass.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can do it that way, but keep in mind that you can't really count any fiber from juiced fruits and veggies because the fiber doesn't really become part of the juice. So, if you are tracking fiber at all be careful of that. Women under 50 should try to get more than 25 grams of fiber per day.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with it too. I just record it as the whole fruit, even though I know it's more calories than what I drink, because I"m not eating all of the fruit. It's really the best you can do. The only other option is to find juice recipes online that give the nutritional info already.
  • 10kkiddo
    10kkiddo Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are just looking at calories it's simple. Other things are more complicated. I think calories count no matter what the composition so I count everything. Tracking nutrients, fiber, etc is not something I've tried to tackle yet.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    you can't really count the whole fruit because of all the pulp. I usually count it for the same amount a cup of regular juice would be like OJ is 110 calories per 8 oz. I only count the calories .
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You can do it that way, but keep in mind that you can't really count any fiber from juiced fruits and veggies because the fiber doesn't really become part of the juice. So, if you are tracking fiber at all be careful of that. Women under 50 should try to get more than 25 grams of fiber per day.

Really? MFP has me at only 15 and I even struggle to get there!!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If I end up juicing at all, I'm probably just going to count the whole fruit. I understand that I won't necessarily be getting the correct amount of nutrients, fiber, etc...but I'm mostly concerned with calories...plus it's not meant to be a long-term thing...5-15 days at most, so I don't think it's going to skew your diet too bad if you just record the whole fruit/vegetable.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I make it a recipe and break servings down to 8oz glasses.

The only exception was yesterday, I did some juicing and out came to 16oz. Normally that would have been a recipe and I would have listed serving size as 2, but I took it to a cookout, so I counted it as 1.
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    I would like to try a fast with the juicing but I'd also like it to use for a breakfast daily or just for a "treat"...whenever I can! :)