Too busy to cook

Hi there, I'm new and very optimistic this year will be different for me. Since the birth of my son (who's now 10, so that's no longer an excuse), my weight has ballooned. What makes things especially difficult if that I leave the house at 7AM, work till 4:30, travel quite a distance to pick up my son to take him to speech therapy by 5:30 everyday (he's Autistic), then, when we're finished there around 7PM, I'd like to go straight to the gym since it's my only time.
My problem is, where do I fit in a healthy dinner that's not fast food or something filled w/ preservatives? If I eat at 4PM before I leave work, which I've tried, I'm famished by the time I get home. Anyone with similar problem? Any ideas? I always seem to do great during the day and then it all falls apart in the evening. And I'm really dragging.

Replies

• Hi there, I'm new and very optimistic this year will be different for me. Since the birth of my son (who's now 10, so that's no longer an excuse), my weight has ballooned. What makes things especially difficult if that I leave the house at 7AM, work till 4:30, travel quite a distance to pick up my son to take him to speech therapy by 5:30 everyday (he's Autistic), then, when we're finished there around 7PM, I'd like to go straight to the gym since it's my only time.
    My problem is, where do I fit in a healthy dinner that's not fast food or something filled w/ preservatives? If I eat at 4PM before I leave work, which I've tried, I'm famished by the time I get home. Anyone with similar problem? Any ideas? I always seem to do great during the day and then it all falls apart in the evening. And I'm really dragging.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Three ideas:

1. Just learn to take a few minutes before the gym for some food - light food won't kill your workout. As far as having dinner ready by then, I'm a fan of my crock pot.

2. Start keeping healthy snacks with you like carrots, string cheese, or even pack a PB sandwich.

3. If you must stop, maybe these two sites can help;
    http://www.webmd.com/content/tools/1/tiyh_fast_food.htm
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_100/135_eating_well.html
  • Thanks Jules, any recipes for crock pot & can I keep it on for nine hours?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Crock pots are great. Some of the newer ones have a timer that you can set to begin at a later time. That might be something you would want to look at.

My family loves salsa meat. Simply add whatever type of meat you like then some salsa. I like green salsa with chicken or red salsa with pork or beef.

Definately take some snacks.

Good luck.
  • Make a pot of vegetable soup so that when you get home, all you have to do is microwave a bowl of it - it's already ready, it's low in calories, it's filling, and it gives you some of your water for the day! I also like to keep tofu and quinoa in the fridge, since they keep for a few days. I throw a bit of each into the bowl of soup and it's a complete meal. (The quinoa is very healthy, but high in calories, so make sure you measure it.) Of course, you could use any grain like brown rice or barley and any other kind of protein too. Cut some veggies and keep them in the fridge in baggies or in some water. If they're already prepared, you're more likely to grab them than some other evil thing like cookies!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Thanks Jules, any recipes for crock pot & can I keep it on for nine hours?

Well I'm still getting used to it but it seems that you put in your meat, veggies, and a liquid. I just threw an entire chicken (I have a big pot) in mine, poured in some chicken stock, and put two bags of frozen veggies. I have a leaner looking roast thawing that I will put in with some beef broth and maybe some carrots and a couple chopped potatoes. Plenty of more complicated recipes though:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/healthycrockpotrecipes/a/healthycrockpot.htm

Yes 9 hours isn't bad. Most of the time its 4-6 on High, 7-9 on Low... going longer won't hurt anything just might overcook your green beens...

Good Luck! :tongue: