any one here good with decorating ?

bosanka
bosanka Posts: 336 Member
Hi everyone ...

i'm getting tired of my house-look now .. but i'm so tight on my budget and unfortunately i can't think of a whole lot without using money.. i know you can be creative.. but my husband is the type of guy that likes quality and " expensive ' looks . he doesn't let me buy just about anything- if it appears cheap - he wont's me to return it .. and makes me wait until we can afford something more expensive.. I'm not saying i don't agree with that.. but as a woman sometimes i can get unpatient ..

Ok here is the deal - he painted the house 4 years ago - he doesn't want even to hear me say ' can we paint again " - so that is out of question- i have to work with what i have now.

Living room : walls white- but one big wall is in the bold cayenne pepper color. I have dark leather furniture ( no that can't be changed either it just barely got payed of )

Please help me with color combinations- i need to get new pillows- what colors would you suggest ? i need to refresh the look but still make it " fit " with the look we have .. we have expensive furniture and go for the " rich " look - more like tuscany ( at least that what i was trying to get )
Can i freshen it up - without making it too confusing with the styles ?

If i decide to get a new rug for the living room - should it be in the color of the wall - or can i go something else.. ?

ughh.. if i only could get someone in here to help me :( ..

please - any ideas.. how do you freshen up the look of your home without breaking your bank ?

Replies

• For the rug, I would get something that matches your colors, but with a couple accent colors.
    Our living room is brown/tan/white, and we just got a rug with those colors plus burgundy. So now we can add burgundy pieces and still have the colors look good together.
    I'm not really a pro decorator but that worked for us and it looks pretty nice.
  • nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    what color is your furniture??
  • fionamacf
    fionamacf Posts: 39
    DULUX website has a colour picker function where you can upload a photo of a room and they suggest colour schemes. Meant for paint but would give you ideas for accessories.
  • I am an interior design student. I have one year left of college. I love residential design and would love to give you suggestions! You should post some photos of the space and what furniture you have to work with and so i can give you design ideas. As a college student i don't have money to buy expensive furniture either. I recommend thrift shopping! If you look for the pieces that have potential and are older, you can get steals, especially on good quality items! I often pick up things that need a bit of refurbishing, and with a little research and a few hours or sometimes days of hard work, you can have a piece of furniture of a high end designer quality, for a cheap price! It takes some motivation to work hard on a piece, but once its done you get to enjoy it, as well as be proud to tell others that YOU made it beautiful! Also its a way to go green. Reuse and recycle, as my grandpa always says, "trash is a lack of creativity" Hope this helps, and feel free to post photos so i can make some creative suggestions!:)
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    If you're trying to keep the Tuscany colors (which are rich looking), maybe go with a burnished gold rug (if you have children or pets, you may want to go with a darker color, like slate or olive, but it sounds like you have a lot of dark in your room, so the gold will brighten it up and it keeps the 'expensive' look alive), get a couple matching throw pillows, as well as other throws in that color scheme (slate, olive, ecru). If you have drapes or sheers as window treatments, you can change those as well.

I'm not sure where you live, but Target usually has nice looking items at very affordable prices.

Good luck with your redecorating!