How do you keep the motivation with so much to lose?

Options
It's so hard. Some days are easier than others, whereas some days are nothing but a struggle. I have over 100lbs to lose... I'm at 13. 13? 120 left. It's SO discouraging. I know it's not a race and it will come off slowly, but 133 lbs to lose is a lot....... I have an entire young woman to shed off of my body, and I dont know how to handle the mental aspect of this sometimes. It's so hard. Some days I'm completely dedicated, and I have the passion, drive and enthusiasm...... other days, are like today.....Any advice?

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Make smaller goals! Aim for 20lb, then another 20, then another. Change your ticker to reflect this. I'm in the same position, but I find I'm a lot more motivated if I just set small goals at a time. It's a long journey but as you meet each mini goal you'll feel a lot better and more motivated!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i never focus on the end goal. i just take it 10lbs at a time. also, i just try to move my body as much as possible so i don't have to worry about what i eat so much and with all that moving around, i'm not sitting and eating, i'm burning. so just take it one step at a time, drink a lot of water and move your body more than not.

hth
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I know the feeling. When I tend to get bummed I go through the sucess stories part of the forum and see how many people have made amazing changes in their lives. If they can do it, so can it with hard work. I have also started a picture log to be able to see the changes when the scale doesn't want to be my friend. I take measurements too for another back up. It has kept me going so far :)
  • frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    baby steps.....one day at a time, and set mini goals with a special treat for yourself (pedicure, spa day, movie, hair highlights, craft classes) whatever excites you and work towards your next "treat" not losing over 100 pounds :)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are talking about... even now after losing close to 80lbs I look in the mirror and will be discouraged about how much more I have to go... but then I find myself out for a run or hitting the gym extra hard and realizing that this time last year (really not long ago AT ALL) there was no way in hell I could ever be doing this... in one year from today what will I be doing that would be unthinkable of me now?

That is what helps drive me... plus so many very supportive friends on here! They all work so hard and do so well how can I let them down by not doing the same!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's so hard. Some days are easier than others, whereas some days are nothing but a struggle. I have over 100lbs to lose... I'm at 13. 13? 120 left. It's SO discouraging. I know it's not a race and it will come off slowly, but 133 lbs to lose is a lot....... I have an entire young woman to shed off of my body, and I dont know how to handle the mental aspect of this sometimes. It's so hard. Some days I'm completely dedicated, and I have the passion, drive and enthusiasm...... other days, are like today.....Any advice?

I'm one of those 130lb women you have to lose!! The key is to do it slowly - 2-3lbs a week and watch your scales & weightloss ticker go down. Perhaps try measuring and compare that as well as weight. Add as many people as you can as friends to give you motivation. There are others on here who have lost over 100lbs.....it can be done. Just don't give up......we all have bad days....just jump back on & start again.

Sorry I'm not the best person to give advice as my weightloss goal have only been minimal.....been heavier than I want to be but not too overweight.

Have added you as a friend. Good luck!

Sue :smile: x
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When I began, I had 230lbs to lose and so far I'm down 27lbs.

I agree with you, it looks like a long depressing road when you look at the whole thing, and I tell you, I don't even have a glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. So I've set my sights differently.

I look at the journey, not the destination. I set mini goals to work towards. I make certain what I'm eating is food that I love so that I never feel deprived. I'm slowly working in exercise so that it doesn't feel like a chore.

Yeah, it's going to take me a few years to get to my goal, but I plan on having fun on the way. My life is now, not when i get to my goal weight.

Which is not to say that I don't have down days. I do. But I look for silver linings, reminders of the successes I've accomplished, be they weight or how many days or whatever.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Remind your self what your motivation is. Why did you start to lose weight? I gotta be honost, if your only motivation is looking good, it won't last long. Untill I started caring about my long term health, really caring and really believing it, I could never lose the weight. As silly as it seems I repeat mantras to myself. And I remind myself if out were easy, everyone would do it! Good luck!
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Set up small goals 10 to 15 pounds. Celebrate every pound you loose (Yay for you its a pound less). Make sure to make time for exercise at least 30 min a day it makes you feel soo good when you are done with exercising its a accomplishment. Make the best choices you can when eating (you will slip from time to time, everyone does). Be kind to yourself. If you take a step back get back to the right direction and keep going. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!! Everytime you give up you are giving up on yourself! I gave up sooo many times, nothing worse than letting yourself down. You can do it!!! Believe in yourself. You deserve to be the best you can be!!! Best wishes on your jorney! Morgana :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I always remembered my reason for wanting to lose, imagined myself in smaller clothes and being able to be more physically active, and something I still do...I look at others' before and after pictures.

This site might give you some motivation as well... http://makeovr.com/weightmirror/
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is mini-goals. Do you do any online gaming? You start off with, like, $5 in Mafia Wars or Farmville, while your friends may already have $5 million. But the game keeps you hooked & playing by offering you little challenges that give you a feeling of accomplishment. Same psychological principles can be applied here.

I have 150 to lose. So I gave myself a realistic timeframe (March 2011 - Christmas 2012) and then did the math to divide up the time & the weight, and created mini-goals for myself. For example, by February 2012 I hope to be halfway there, and by this time next year I hope to be down to my 2001 weight, etc. My current goal I'm working towards is to lose 10% of my starting body weight (30 lbs) by the end of July. I'm on track to hit that one early! But I tried to create new goals every month or so, and I focus on reaching them, rather than looking at the big scary number. It works for me!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yep, go with the small goals - it has helped me massively, I am aiming for 10 at a time, as it seems manageable. Then, when you have done that 10, start on the next 10 :smile:
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has said to set smaller goals...try not to focus on the BIG picture because I know at times it can seem VERY overwhelming I too have about 175lbs to lose after already losing 25 and sometimes I am just like ugggh really?! but you just have to keep pushing forward and think about the progress you have, and will continue to make if you just stick with it...to me 25lbs compared to what I have to lose doesn't seem like much but at least its 25lbs I dont have to worry about anymore :) try and stay positive and take things one day at a time...some days are harder than others but you have to take the good with the bad and always say "I will try again tomorrow" try to not let one day or even one week mess up your progress thus far :) you have a great support system here we wont let you fail! Keep up the great work!!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    In addition to focusing on smaller goals (e.g., losing 10 pounds--and then getting some sort of non-food reward), focus on non-weight related "lifestyle" goals. Each week (or month) choose ONE thing you want to work on. For example, this week/month you could focus on getting in 8 glasses of water a day (or start with 4 if you aren't used to drinking water and then increase from there). Other goals include getting in a certain number of veggies and/or fruit, working out for a certain amount of time per day, spending less time staring at screens, eating one new healthy food each day, etc. My husband and I both found that paying attention to healthy habits in addition to just weight loss was beneficial for us--and we were able to feel successful even when the scale didn't move. Also, as others have said, measure! My biggest regret is that I didn't have pre-loss measurements or many "before" photos. Good luck!
  • silvershe
    silvershe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Recently i read that the weight goes on slowly, same as it is for coming off. I took 10 years to gain this weight and will take years to get back to my normal weight. It is a life long change in your habits. But have faith in yourself and know that everyone will have bad days, just pick yourself up and carry on the journey.
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What helps me is realizing that the time will pass no matter what I do. I'd rather spend it getting smaller and healthier (even if I go slowly) than spend it possibly getting even bigger.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I think this was said, but along with your 10 pound goals, give yourself non-food related treats every time you lose 10 pounds (or pass into a new "decade"). For instance, get a pedicure, buy yourself new shoes, go on a mini-vacation, etc. You will look forward to rewards, so you'll try extra hard to lose that weight. :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    i never focus on the end goal. i just take it 10lbs at a time.

YES! I find it easier to focus on 10 pound goals, as that's when you get to see significant numbers change. I was thrilled going from the 170s to the 160s, 160s to the 150s, and now I wait anxiously for the 140s! Focusing on a narrow goal like that keeps your motivation up and I am always looking forward to that middle number on the scale changing. Otherwise, thinking of the total number I needed to lose was just too overwhelming.

Don't discredit the big loss you have already accomplished, you are doing great. Also, a secondary motivating factor is when your clothes keep getting looser and looser. It feels like a big victory when you have to change pant sizes! Non-food treats are always good as others have mentioned. I haven't had any yet but after I lose this last 10 pounds I am buying a pair of designer jeans that will make my rear end look fantastic. :laugh:
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that's been said. When I started in April, I was staring at 150 lbs to lose. And that still leaves me obese. But it's my first major goal that I've set for myself. And I break it down into minis. Ideally, I'd like to lose 10lbs per month. I have specific dates with specific weights that I want to achieve. Believe me, I understand. In the past, when I've thought about weightloss, I always felt like I had this enormous mountain to climb. And being over 350lbs, climbing a mountain doesn't sound like any kind of fun. But then I decided to do this and I have just been taking it one day, one week, one month at a time. I think about my reasons for deciding to climb this mountain. And I just HAVE to stick with it.

And recently, something I've started doing that has been a phenomenal motivation is to join a team challenge (or two or three! :smile: ). Everyone on your team is striving for the same goal. And I feel like my teams depend on me to really do my best. Not only has it motivated me to work out on the days where I really felt like taking a day off, but it's motivated me to work even HARDER! You can surprise yourself when you see what you can actually do. When I started working out, I was going for 15 minute walks around the block. Then I started doing workout videos in the house. And those were 20-40 minutes. And then I finally decided it was time to hit the gym. I initially did 20 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the bike and then I was done. Now, I'm up to at least 40 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the bike, 15 minutes of weight training, and if I get there early enough - at least an hour in the pool. And it's all because I want to support my team. I want us to be the best that we can be.

And the last thing for me has been all of the support that I've gotten. I share my weightlosses with my friends on Facebook and I have been so blown away by the support from people that I never expected to receive it from. And not only that, but the friends that I've made on MFP. We're all in this together and we all want to see one another succeed. If you're looking for a cheerleader, feel free to friend me. I would be happy to cheer you on!
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Small goals, like most have said. You guys feel free to friend me. Could use some friends in the same boat :):)