• dncr8707
    Options
    :sad: Why is there such thing as cellulite GRRRR.....lol
    theres gotta be a cure :wink:
    anyone got one?
    or anything to make it less visible????
  • braphoto
    Options
    well it does show less if youu are tan...but wont advice the tanning beds to anyone...sorry:flowerforyou:
  • zarzoo
    zarzoo Posts: 21
    Options
    hi there hot tubs are good the bubbles work has a deep massager?
  • fitzio1015
    Options
    as much as everyone hates tanning beds they are a very good use for that....i had a friend who worked at a tanning salon and she said for that reason once a week would do the trick....
  • dncr8707
    Options
    ok i dont get how tanning could help it? please explain......
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Cellulite, it’s that nasty thing that we all dread as women. That thing, lurking under the skin just waiting to show itself once we have eaten enough ho-ho’s and ice cream (or whatever junk food weakness you may have). We blame it on our mothers, they had cellulite, and so will we. We blame it on our age, “Well looks like the good old days are gone” you might say, or “Oh my gosh, I’m turning thirty! Do my thighs look giggly? Is my but getting cottage cheesy?” Well, I am here to tell you that it is possible to get rid of cellulite and even prevent it. It comes down to two things, diet and exercise. That’s right you hear me, diet and exercise.

There are three key ingredients to getting a body you can be proud of (one with no cellulite): diet, strength training, and aerobic exercise. I know you’ve heard this before and you think there has got to be more to it than that. Well there’s not. It strictly comes down to what you consume versus what you burn, and what you do with the muscles that you have. It is sad to say that you can not rub, or shake that cellulite away, but you can get rid of fat and build muscle which will smooth it out and make it invisible. I am going to show you easy ways to make the three components necessary for getting rid of cellulite a part of your everyday life.

First Step: Diet

I know that there are a lot of “good” things out there to eat. The problem is that they are not good for you. I know what you’re thinking; I’m some kind of food Nazi. Well you are partly correct, I am a registered dietician. Don’t get me wrong, I have a sweet tooth to rival all sweet tooths! (My husband, the personal trainer, also likes to indulge in mass quantities of dessert!) So believe me when I say I can relate! I am not going to tell you to cut everything that tastes good out of your diet. I am however going to tell you to practice moderation! One or two cookies are okay, seven are not and it is possible to eat only one piece of pizza!

The key to a good diet, one that will melt fat, is moderation and counting those calories. Your diet should have about 60% carbohydrates, 35% protein, and no more than 15% fat. Easy ways to do this are to make sure that you are eating foods that have these proportions naturally. Start replacing any white foods (white bread, plain pasta, white rice) with brown foods (whole wheat bread, pasta, and brown rice). Also make sure you are getting plenty of vegetables.

At meals fill your plate 2/3 with vegetables and 1/3 with lean protein (white meat chicken or turkey, and fish). Throw out those impressive 12” plates when casually eating and replace them with an 8” or 9” plate. Remember moderation. An 8” or 9” plate is a lot more diet appropriate. Also, it can take your body 15 minutes to tell your mind you’re full, so wait before you have that second helping.

Second Step: Strength Training

Strength training is important when it comes to getting rid of the appearance of cellulite. It is necessary to get rid of the fat, but cellulite will still show if you do not have muscles built up underneath the skin. By having muscle you achieve two things, first of all you smooth out the appearance of cellulite and second, you burn more fat. Muscle is the best fat burner you can have. A pound of muscle burns 10 more calories than a pound of fat without you doing any extra work! The more muscle you have the more fat you can burn!

Strength training doesn’t have to be done in a gym; it can be done at home. There are many different magazines and books that offer ways to do resistance training at home. You can use resistance bands or purchase weights from a local sports equipment store. If you are unsure of what to do, there are a lot of great fitness books out there that will guide through exercises and diet. Another alternative would be purchasing some personal training sessions (can be costly however).

Step Three: Aerobic Exercise

The first and second steps are very important, but you are never going to be able to lose the appearance of cellulite without aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise burns fat; there is no way to get around it. Again, it does not have to be done in a gym. Find an activity that you like, that elevates your heart rate, and do it for about an hour, five days a week. Walk, run, play tennis, bike, shoot hoops, whatever it takes to get you moving and your heart rate elevated. Another plus to aerobic exercise is, it raises you caloric limit for the day. If you cheated during lunch, and you’re counting the calories, you can make it up during your cardio session.

The health and fitness world can be overwhelming at times. It is nice to know that these three things will never change. The key to looking and feeling great is diet and exercise. Within that you just need to make sure that you have proper nutrition and that you get strength training and cardiovascular exercise and you are set. Jennifer is a full time teacher, and a registered nutritionist. She has dedicated her life to health and fitness. If you want to learn more about getting rid of cellulite naturally visit http://www.we-review-for-you.com/fitnessebookreview.html
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey google cellulite and coffee grounds and you should get the whole rubbing your thighs (or whatever is dimpled) with wet coffee grounds then rinse. I think the caffeine plumps up the skin to make it appear to be smooth. Also tanned skin looks better becouse it shows oof muscle definition, dont fake bake, (very bad) use tanning towels or spray tan . I use Jergens body glow, it adds a subtle tan with out the streaks of a tradition cream tanning lotion.........I sound like a commercial. lol:drinker:
  • icandoit
    Options
    Becareful with tanning beds--

Business
    Are tanning beds bad for you
    By Jean Sanders
    Info Guru, Catalogs.com
    Friday, June 22, 2007
    Rate This Article:

Should you listen to advertisers or the medical profession? The question is - are tanning beds bad for you?
    The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) share responsibilities in the regulation of sunlamps and tanning devices. They help in answering “are tanning beds bad for you?” The FDA enforces regulations that deal with labels on the devices; the FTC investigates false, misleading, and deceptive advertising claims about the devices. When these agencies determine that device labels don't comply with the regulations or that advertisements are not truthful, they may take corrective action. The FDA also can remove products from the marketplace. So, beware when you see advertising such as ... “Tan indoors with absolutely no harmful side effects" "No burning, no drying, and no sun damage" "Unlike the sun, indoor tanning will not cause skin cancer or skin aginglike these.

Ads that claim indoor tanning devices are a safe alternative to outdoor tanning may be false. However, if you do your homework and check out the manufacturer's claims you will be able to answer the question are tanning beds bad for you.

Just like tanning outside, tanning indoors damages your skin. That's because indoor tanning devices emit ultraviolet rays. Tanning occurs when the skin produces additional pigment (coloring) to protect itself against burn from ultraviolet rays. Overexposure to these rays can cause eye injury, premature wrinkling of the skin, and light-induced skin rashes, and can increase your chances of developing skin cancer. So, are tanning beds bad for you?

The most popular device used in tanning salons is a clamshell-like tanning bed. The customer lies down on a Plexiglas surface as lights from above and below reach the body.
    Many older tanning devices used light sources that emitted shortwave ultraviolet rays (UVB) that actually caused burning. Aware of the harmful effects of UVB radiation, salon owners began using tanning beds that emit mostly longwave (UVA) light sources. Some salons claim this is safe. While UVA rays are less likely to cause burning than UVB rays, they are suspected to have links to malignant melanoma and immune system damage.

Whether you tan indoors or out, studies show the combination of ultraviolet rays and some medicines, birth control pills, cosmetics, and soaps may accelerate skin burns or produce painful adverse skin reactions, such as rashes. In addition, tanning devices may induce common light-sensitive skin ailments like cold sores.

You, ultimately, have to decide the answer to the question “are tanning beds bad for you?” However, if you decide that they are not bad for you, it is important that you protect yourself.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just like icandoit said...Diet and Exercise. You need to lose body fat to decrease cellulite. But first, you should get comfortable with it, because you can have it even at very low body fat, and you don't want to drop so low that you're endangering your life just to get rid of some body fat. Even at 19% bodyfat, I have some. It's genetic and it's caused by the arrangement of your fat cells just as much as how much fat you have. It's caused by the honeycomb pattern in which women carry their fat cells, which creates empty areas. Those little dents are actually spaces where you have no fat cell or a much smaller one. So is there a real *cure*? No, unfortunately. You can just treat the 'symptoms'. Some competitors will rub Preparation H on their legs to make them look more firm...if you want to try that, it's not harmful.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Just like icandoit said...Diet and Exercise. You need to lose body fat to decrease cellulite. But first, you should get comfortable with it, because you can have it even at very low body fat, and you don't want to drop so low that you're endangering your life just to get rid of some body fat. Even at 19% bodyfat, I have some. It's genetic and it's caused by the arrangement of your fat cells just as much as how much fat you have. It's caused by the honeycomb pattern in which women carry their fat cells, which creates empty areas. Those little dents are actually spaces where you have no fat cell or a much smaller one. So is there a real *cure*? No, unfortunately. You can just treat the 'symptoms'. Some competitors will rub Preparation H on their legs to make them look more firm...if you want to try that, it's not harmful.

Have you done any bodybuilding competions yet? My husband is a "retired" bodybuilder.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Not yet...I'm planning to do the Battle of Blacksburg in October this year. I am aiming for 15% BF by anywhere from March-May, then I can maintain before cutting hard in Aug/Sept. I was going to try one last year but I needed more mass.
  • icandoit
    Options
    good luck to you. It's a lot of hard work. A little trick. After you weigh in for competition eat a cheeseburger from mc donalds. It's amazing how different it makes you look.
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    how??
  • icandoit
    Options
    It makes you look vascular and it also makes you look not so sunk in. Lots of bodybuilder are very dehydrated on day of competition. It makes their stomach look hard and it gives you energy.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have to be really careful with carb loading...I tend to bloat easily :grumble: I'd probably have to stick to bites of chicken breast and a honeybun or some small pastry...I'm pretty vascular now though, so I might not need much help. My workout partner is jealous of my veinyness hehe :bigsmile: Ah and I'm also not going to cut water very much...I've seen a lot of debate on the topic, and I feel that if I keep my water normal, I won't retain any. If I'm looking soft, it's because I'm not lean enough.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you are opposed to tanning beds - try spray tanning. A tan complexion helps mask the darker areas or dimples that are common in cellulite. It creates a smoother looking surface.
  • dncr8707
    Options
    WOW, so much information...thanks SOOOOO MUCH!