What do you eat before a workout for energy?

Options
Just wondering what would be the best foods to eat before I work out, that do not include caffeine. Thanks!!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I usually don't. I mix up some P90X Results and Recovery to drink during my workout and that gets me through!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat half a banana smushed on a piece of whole wheat toast.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    a piece of toast with a little bit of PB or a banana and a couple of almonds.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Foods rich in carbs at least 1.5 hours before. Don't eat just before the workout.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana about 30-40 minutes before I start. (I also have a small cup of coffee - I know you said no caffeine, but I have found that I push harder after the coffee...)
  • heatherstiara
    Options
    Banana is good to eat... It also helps you to not get cramps in your legs. :)
  • thompson000
    Options
    I eat a herblife protein bar
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 1/2 - 3 hours before my workout so I don't feel so weighted down, and it's usually mostly carbohydrates and protein like a veggie burger with some pasta and pasta sauce all mixed together. If it's like right before a workout, in the 30 min - 1 hour range, then I'll grab a banana.
  • Pamela13
    Pamela13 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've had low bloodsugar my whole life so I must eat before I work out so I can make it through, and have enough energy too, and feel great afterwords.. I use beachbody, their product Shakeology! It is my favorite breakfast, as yeah call me weird, but I have never liked any breakfast foods!
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana about 30-40 minutes before I start.
    Same for me. The potassium is supposed to help relax the muscles before too, so supposedly less aches. I also make sure I've drank enough water to avoid sweating ammonia.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I glass of milk
    50 grams of raw peanuts
    a cup of no sugar hot Nescafe
    and waterrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    What time of the day do you work out?

If its first thing in the morning try a smoothie. Later in the day its what ever meal I'm having. I don't do any thing special for work out. I just make sure I eat 1-2 hrs before a work out so I don't get sick. If I have enough time in the am I'll have eggs or oatmeal. I hate going on an empty stomach. You'll run out of steam.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out in a purely fasted state in the morning regardless of what activity I'm doing. If I need energy, I drink black cold coffee.
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    For me it depends on the type of exercise but I almost always have a Peanut butter and Banana sandwich before a long duration of basketball. Call me old fashioned but I like carbs before a workout Oats,Wheat Pasta or Brown Rice.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I HAVE to eat that the only thing that wont bother me is a traditional Power Bar. They are like a giant laffy taffy of nutrition, but I don't burp them up, etc. My neighbor who I run with eats a half bagel with peanut butter....I tried it and burped up peanut butter for 5 miles.

Try both and see what you think. I only eat a power bar if running 5+ miles. I don't need to eat if less than that. I think I have enough glycogen stores to make it more than that far :-P
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    thanks... i needed that tip.. so love this site
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or egg whites :smile:
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What time of the day do you work out?

If its first thing in the morning try a smoothie. Later in the day its what ever meal I'm having. I don't do any thing special for work out. I just make sure I eat 1-2 hrs before a work out so I don't get sick. If I have enough time in the am I'll have eggs or oatmeal. I hate going on an empty stomach. You'll run out of steam.

I usually work out in the morning, an hour or two after I wake up. Thanks for giving me ideas!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    I've always worked out in a purely fasted state in the morning regardless of what activity I'm doing.
    I'm the same way. I figure it worked great while I was in Basic Training for the Army, and it still seems to be working out. :D
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!! Appreciate it!