Fruit sugar?

Options
lausa22
lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
Does the sugar in fruit count as 'bad' sugar? Because I've just eaten a few cherries and 1/16th of watermelon and it put me over my sugar limit.
But I'm just thinking, they're natural sugars, not refined.
So is too much fruit bad for you because of the sugar? Or is it alright?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Personally, i dont think fruit sugar is bad at all. As you say, its natural. 2/3 portions of fruit a day shouldnt do any harm.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Use the forum search option and you'll find hundreds of past threads discussing this same subject.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is good sugar! I'm speaking as one who is NOT counting carbs or sugar, though. Someone on Atkins or South Beach or just low-carbing may have a different answer than me.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people are going to come in here and say not to worry about it. They're wrong and haven't researched at all. They're just regurgitating what they think sounds reasonable.

It's smart to track your sugar. Here's why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837
  • singin_sunrise
    singin_sunrise Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The benefits of fruit far outweigh the sugar content. With those sugars, you are getting fiber (especially with watermelon; eat all of that you want to decrease bloating) and all the nutrients the fruit provides.
  • szqnva
    szqnva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar, too. I have a feeling the sugar levels on here are set pretty low. That's always a confusing subject. Some nutritionists and diet plans say fruit is great for you, and to load up on fruits and veggies. Others try to keep you away from all sugars. If you ate too much fruit, I guess it would have an effect on your glucose levels, but the amount you ate seems to be well within normal boundaries. I'm interested to hear what other opinions are on this, too.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I feel if your carbs are within goals I would not worry about the sugar in fruit.

I seen a DIABETIC Nutritionist and was told to concentrate on carb count and not sugar from fruit as long as I was within limit.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everything else I eat is also within carbs/calories/fat/sodium (apart from yesterday, it was the first time I went over my calorie limit)
    Just today too, is the first time my sugar has gone over. But it's from fruit! Also, it's only 2:50pm, so that's plenty of time for the sugar to be broken down, isn't it?
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people are going to come in here and say not to worry about it. They're wrong and haven't researched at all. They're just regurgitating what they think sounds reasonable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837

I will not read your link, and I find what you said to be very offensive and RUDE. Really? Because I don't worry about fruit I'm wrong and haven't researched it at all?! Wow.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

I will not read your link, and I find what you said to be very offensive and RUDE. Really? Because I don't worry about fruit I'm wrong and haven't researched it at all?! Wow.

Right there with you! It was RUDE!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    While I think the poster could have worded what she was saying in a more positive way, the information on the link she provided isn't bad.

I still don't think it's a bad thing to go over on your sugar if it's from fruit and veg, however, I also don't think that going over by crazy amounts regardless of it's source is a great idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I agree! there were a lot of better ways to phrase that without being rude.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

Okay, so think I'm rude. But go find accurate information about sugar anyway. Forget my link. Who cares?

Just make sure you recognize that "fruit sugar" is fructose and the body responds to fructose in a very specific way via creating and fueling fat cells.

Maybe it was "rude". Whatever. But it was right.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Use the forum search option and you'll find hundreds of past threads discussing this same subject.

:flowerforyou:
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Okay, so think I'm rude. But go find accurate information about sugar anyway. Forget my link. Who cares?

Just make sure you recognize that "fruit sugar" is fructose and the body responds to fructose in a very specific way via creating and fueling fat cells.

I didn't find your first reply rude at all. You didn't beat around the bush like anyone else would have, and you've obviously done your research. :)
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I didn't find your first reply rude at all. You didn't beat around the bush like anyone else would have, and you've obviously done your research. :)

:drinker:
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown? Really? Lol.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I didn't find your reply rude either. You were just giving your opinion & by posting the link, you were giving others the opportunity to read some of what you have found in your research.

Unfortunately, because of all the fruit I eat, I know I go way over my sugar everyday. But still, I'd rather go over my sugar by eating fruit than snacking on candy bars, icecream, cookies, & cakes.....which I still tend to do on occasion! :blushing:
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    HI IVE BEEN HAVING THER SAME TROUBLE AND WITH SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS I GOT SO CONFUSED (WHICH ISN'T HARD LOL) SO I GOOGLED IT AND WENT ON THE NHS WEBSITE AND ON THERE IT SAYS WE DONT NEED TO CUT DOWN ON THE SUGAR THATS IN FRUIT JUST PROCESSED SUGAR SO FEEL FREE TO HAVE AS MUCH FRUIT AS YOU LIKE:happy:
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    http://www.amsa.org/healingthehealer/GlycemicIndex.pdf

I refer to chose fruits that have a low glycemic index, and eat the others in moderate.....although fruit sugar is better than processed sugar, too much of any sugar can be a bad thing.