Vitamins

Options
I'm not sure if this is where this should even go haha. BUT

I'm wanting to start taking vitamins I searched the memories but i didn't really see anything on what i'm looking for.
Fish Oil? is this good? and Flax Seed?
I use to take b12 shots. maybe i should do those?
I've never taken vitamins except during pregnancy.
HELP!?!!!!
What is good and what can you do without?

Replies

• caseym22
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is where this should even go haha. BUT

I'm wanting to start taking vitamins I searched the memories but i didn't really see anything on what i'm looking for.
    Fish Oil? is this good? and Flax Seed?
    I use to take b12 shots. maybe i should do those?
    I've never taken vitamins except during pregnancy.
    HELP!?!!!!
    What is good and what can you do without?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    If you eat a basically balanced diet with veggies and fruits and lean proteins like eggs and chicken, you really only need a daily multi-vitamin.

Sure, there are true believers in vitamins.....but I saw a segment on this over the summer. They featured a college student who took 17 vitamins a day. She was healthy, eat smart, excercised often. In the end, she really wasn't in need of all off the vitamins she was taking because she was getting the nutrients from the foods she ate. The only thing, they said, that a person really needs to take is a daily multi. Unless your eating absoluetly horrible every meal, you should be gettin genough nutrients from the foods you eat.

:flowerforyou:

I wouldn't speak to many people at the vitamin stores, because it's their job to get you to buy the vitamins. Try speaking with your doctor and see what they suggest for you in your needs.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I decided this past weekend I was going to start taking vitamins as well. I have been exercising a lot lately and really watching what I eat. I decided I could use a little help by means of a vitamin. My wife and I were shopping the other night and I went down the supplements aisle. It was a bit overwhelming. I finally decided on a "one a day" brand. There are 2 reasons I chose that one. They seemed to have the most stuff in them and they were on sale. I know the second reason might not be a good one. I had narrowed it down to 2 different ones. The sale price helped me make the final decision. I have some more time to do research and decide if I like what I have or if I want to try something else.

Good luck in your search.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins daily, I may take too many come to think about it, but I feel they benefit me. I take a multi, then I also take vitamin E for my skin, biotin for my hair (I am telling you this works, I had read that it helps with hair growth, and at the time I had cut my hair real short, within two years it is to the middle of my back! It also is much healthier, I color it a lot, and it is still as shinny as virgin hair!).
    I also take fish oil, vitamin C, a calcium supplement, and if I am feeling sluggish a B-Complex.
    I am sure that most will say that is too much, but I feel they all benefit me in some way! :tongue:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    There are different things you can try. Most people survive on multis, but I have a few special things I take because I know they help.

Chondroitin for my joints and tendons as I have a tendency to achiness and to me it's a danger to have a knee go out. I find I dont' have as much soreness.

I also take calcium because I don't get enough dairy in my diet.

Sometimes I throw in a magnesium or potassium.

And I don't take them every single day.

Flax seed is not a vitamin, but is something you can add to your diet because it is very high in fiber and adds omega 3's. It is not really expensive. Buy the milled kind, as the consumed whole seed is wasted. Keep it cool as they say it goes rancid quickly (though my 1lb bag did fine on top of the fridge for the last two months). Sprinkle it on everything from chili or casseroles, yogurts, soups, salads, peanut butter sandwiches, fruit salads. I put mine in potato salad, egg salad, tuna salad. Basically everything I eat has some flax in it.
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Fish oil helps reduce your cholestorol levels, so unless you have high cholesterol it really isn't necessary.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I just started taking vitamins a month ago. I take calcium twice a day and a multi-vitamin once a day. I found that even though I was getting 3 servings of dairy a day, I wasn't getting anywhere near my calcium needs. You should try monitoring your vitamins through MFP. How are you daily on calcium, vitamin C etc. If you're consistently lacking, think about picking up some corresponding vitamins.