you are gearing up to go running...

Options
what is your typical running routine before you head out? What do you wear? What do you bring?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Fav running shoes, Ipod with Nike attachment to judge speed and distance. Sunglasses, two sports bras (don't want the ladies going anywhere) Joggers Mace and a knife (one that flips out) always be prepared for the unexpected
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ankle brace, knee brace, and my blackberry for music and GPS tracking. Nothing other than that during my actual run.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    shorts, tank top, my HRM, water and Ipod to track my C25K app, AND my fiancee! he's been doing it with me and i cannot do it without wither him or my sister!, so a buddy :-)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Before, I stretch for about five minutes...mainly focusing on quads, hamstrings, and back. And I bring my keys, ipod, and a small water bottle. I wear shorts with and a sports bra, low socks, and either a workout tank, or an old shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Hair in a ponytail, and no sunglasses. I burn easily so I try to have as little tan lines as possible, haha!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Shorts
    loose light colored tee, it's currently the 45th consecutive of 105+ degree weather here in north texas annnd light colors make me easier to spot
    running shoes
    regular bra + sports bra, to keep everything where it needs to stay!
    comfy, no slip socks to prevent blisters
    my phone, that's where my music/tracker is
    sunglasses
    water!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    What I wear depends on temperature. Right now it's sports bra, singlet or tank-style top over it and running shorts, running sunglasses. I only bring my ipod shuffle and a housekey. If I were running longer distnaces I'd bring water as well.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Clothes appropriate for temperature, Good Running Shoes, Sunscreen, Good Armband w/ Phone which includes music and RunKeeper App, Housekey, Driver's License.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Oh, and...sunglasses :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wear either a t-shirt or tank with shorts, good socks, sneakers, sunglasses and a layer of spray on waterproof sunscreen.

I bring my phone, house key, music and seedless grapes. I've tried carrying a drink, but I either spill it all over myself, or almost knock my teeth down on the sippy straw, plus it's a pain to carry. Grapes are just as hydrating and more portable.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Emmy - never thought about mace for when I am running alone. great idea!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    3-S
    Shoes, shorts, sunglasses.
    Sometimes water depending on how far & hot it is.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Running shirt, skirt, shoes, bra, my garmin.

Socks only if I'm not wearing my vibrams. Water bottles and gatorade if I'm running longer than 5 miles.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Running shoes or vibrams, depending on the day. Running skirt, with or without leggings, depending on the temperature and mosquito quotient. Sports bra, technical shirt. Ipod/earbuds with armband, loaded with Nike+ app and lots of running songs. Heart rate monitor, although I'm trying to be less dependent on this. Ball cap and/or sunglasses if it's bright out. Hands-free bottle of water/gatorade if I'm going more than 5K. If it's winter, running spikes and other assorted cold-weather gear. Usually tuck my house key, some lip balm, and tissues in a pocket. Lately I've taken to putting some almonds in the gu-pockets built into the running skirt for longer runs. Wow, that is a lot of stuff!! Been loving my morning runs lately which are just shoes/shirt/skirt/me.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The only must-haves that I take are my phone (since that's how I track my miles), my iPod, running shoes, and my knee brace. Otherwise, it's whatever workout pants, shirt and bra are clean at the time. I'll take my house key if there won't be anyone when I get back, but that's rare, since there is always someone with the baby, and they're usually home. I've tried taking water or sports gels, but I always get annoyed with carrying them.

For my routine, I really don't have one, honestly. I'll walk and stretch for about 5 minutes, then get going. Nothing special.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    just my iphone even though i have been looking into mace just incase i might need it oneday
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    for a short run, it is roll out of bed, try my best to throw clothes on, and out the door. For long runs and races, i have everything laid out, nike skirt, hot pink sports bra, tank top, ankle support brace thingy, ibprofen (if its a really long run) hand held water thingy. I drink a glass of water, eat half a luna bar (will totally throw up if i eat the whole thing. weird.) and i have half a cup of coffee. 8 times out of 10, i also spill the coffee on the running skirt, but it seems to be good luck at this point. I always do great when i spill coffee on myself. i tuck my keys into my water bottle pocket and i am good to go!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Emmy - never thought about mace for when I am running alone. great idea!

Yeah they have joggers mace that actually has stretchy velcro so it stays in your palm so you just run holding it and it can't get knocked out of your hand. Not just for human attacks what if a dog gets loose? Especially if you listen to music while you run. Whenever I hear about women going missing they were usually out for a jog. My friend laughs at me but the O&D trail out here has flashers and all kinds of creeps. You just never know.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's winter here, so that means 3/4 pants, sports bra, singlet, long sleeved thermal top, cap (only if it's raining), Nike shoes.
    The only other thing I take is my iPhone - for Runkeeper tracking and audiobooks.
    For those of you who carry all that extra stuff - like water, snacks, mace (really? wow!) - how do you carry it all?
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If it's an early morning (pre-dawn, so need to run a lighted path) run, I pee, change into running clothes, grab two bottles of water and head out the door. Then put on my stopwatch and iPod and go. Leaving the water in the car.

If it's a daylight run from my house, I add sunglasses to that.

Anythig over 6 miles, I add a hydration belt and chapstick.

I don't take a phone, keys, or anything else with me. I do have an id tag on my shoe ..
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    bump for rubybelle. I'm kinda interested to see where it all goes, too!