Diary-Keeping

Options
Does anyone else add in their meal calories before you actually consume them and then adjust accordingly? :)

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Yes I do definitely
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes - I like to plan, so I have a rough idea of what the totals will be. Then I adjust accordingly .............
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I do. I try to plan out all my meals for the day in the morning and write it all in. Then I know where I have some wiggle room and make adjustments if I need to. It also motivates me to get out there and earn my activity points! I see it all in front of me as I start the day and know that half hour walk at lunch can make an impact.
  • ohiomom0503
    ohiomom0503 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I enter my diary for the day first thing in the morning. If I eat differently, I'll adjust accordingly. It makes it easier for me to plan out my day that way.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Every day! When I was doing WW with a friend, this is how she tracked her food and she lost a lot of weight. I didn't plan ahead and lost only a little weight. When I first started MFP, planning my calories for the day has made a huge and positive difference. Good luck.
  • hughannah
    hughannah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i do it seems to keep me on track and like you say just adjust accordingly
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    yep! I plan it out so i know what else i can or cant eat lol. that way im like, oh man, i already added this to my diary,now i cant change my mind, lol.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've planned all my meals until Friday this week!

I can play around with them as I go along (IE I may change tomorrow's dinner with Wednesday's). Having my meals pre-planned means I am more likely to stick to my calorie allowence.

If I want something else I have to make a subtitution or factor in some extra exercise!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a day in advance in order to stay on track. I build in a 100 calorie cushion and try to not use it unless needed.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I do, almost every day. When I don't plan ahead, I end up way over calories and way under protein. Planning ahead helps me get the numbers right and keeps me from living on toast and cheese. :-P
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what I do! I plan the whole day either the night before or the morning of, and then adjust as I go through the day. Sometimes I stick to the plan really well, other times my evening diary looks nothing like my morning diary!
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I usually have to cook my food the night before and pack it. So I count my calories and get everything ready the night before
  • katevonr
    katevonr Posts: 27
    Options
    I apparently am one of the few who do not enter my calories until I eat them. But I have been at this long enough (and am careful enough in my grocery shopping), that I have a general idea of calorie counts when I am putting meals together. I enter it after I finish my meal. I always have a general idea of how many calories are left. This way is just easier for me.

If I try and plan my meals ahead, I feel restrained and it makes me want to eat more. I don't like feeling limited, so I like the fluid nature of entering as I go. But that's just my personality type. I've always said that I am not dieting, nor will I ever diet again. I will eat whatever I want, but I will be conscious of what I am eating, and what it means for my daily routine. I still splurge, but I make myself work out to match it, so I have to really want the splurge to make it worthwhile. I'm the kind of person who wants anything that is forbidden. So by allowing anything, I but holding myself accountable to the price of that thing, I have been doing marvelously!
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I try to. If I know I have a big meal planned in the evening, I do for sure. It helps me stay on track!
  • TexasTomato
    Options
    I haven't done this before but I think I will start doing it that way. Don't know why it hadn't occurred to me. Thanks!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yes!! By lunch time I know what I can/ can not have for dinner! Can I have the extra piece of garlic bread with my spaghetti? Hmm, lets adjust lunch and afternoon snack so the answer can be yes. :happy:
  • kdtann
    kdtann Posts: 89
    Options
    I do sometimes. I am a creature of habit, so a lot of times I know what I will be eating. But then I can change it if I have to.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, my meals are logged about 24 hours in advance. Lets me know where I stand, what I can add in, if I need to cut back, etc. I'm a big planner.
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea, I had not been logging in until after I had my meal, but this seems to work way better, thanks all.