Every time I reach a new set of #'s, I gain...

I just complained about this on my wall and someone said she has the same problem, so, wondering if others do also. It seems EVERY time I finally drop into a new set of numbers ( a new decade, if you will - 200's to 190's, 190's to 180's) it's short lived and then I slam right back up and maintain for 2 - 3 weeks before finally (hopefully, and usually, steadily losing weight again). The latest is hitting 189...and then, blamo, 192 and there I've stayed...for the last 2 weeks...at least I maintain, but, it's super annoying and gets a little discouraging. Anyone else? ANY TIPS?

Replies

• mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Yep happens to me too. Haven't figured that one out yet!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Exacte same thing happen to me but every pound LOL. But the general trend is going down.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Same thing happens to me, only I maintain for more like 1+ months before I start losing again. I agree, though...it's a general downward trend! Keep focusing on that.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    oh yeah It happens.....I was steadily losing for 8 mos. now I am fluctuating as high as 10 lbs.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    I just complained about this on my wall and someone said she has the same problem, so, wondering if others do also. It seems EVERY time I finally drop into a new set of numbers ( a new decade, if you will - 200's to 190's, 190's to 180's) it's short lived and then I slam right back up and maintain for 2 - 3 weeks before finally (hopefully, and usually, steadily losing weight again). The latest is hitting 189...and then, blamo, 192 and there I've stayed...for the last 2 weeks...at least I maintain, but, it's super annoying and gets a little discouraging. Anyone else? ANY TIPS?

I think that happens to a lot of folks...I read this article today...so I'll share it with you and hope you find it useful.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/have-a-weight-loss-plateau-let-me-help.aspx

Have a great day...:flowerforyou:
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    It definitely happens to me once I reach a mini goal. I reached the 170's, which is what I weighed in highschool, and apparently decided that was good enough and my body went crazy.

I find that if I'm stuck at a number, I zig zag my calories for a few days, then I'm back on track. I will eat up to my maintenence cals, then eat 1200, then maintenence, and so on. I'm convinced it kinda breaks my body from it's funk and gets me back on track.

Also, I've set my weekly goal to 1lb a week, and compared that number to my 2lb a week goal. At 2lbs a week I was allowed 1200 cals. At 1lb a week I'm allowed 1420 cals. I figure as long as I stay within those 2 number I'll be fine. And I've started losing weight consistently again. The flexibility to know I'm not aiming for one very specific number allows me the freedom to have a few more cals one day and a few less the next if I need it.

Hope this helps!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    That happens to most women. Just remember that water retention can amount to around 5lbs of fluctuation quite commonly. It can be even more around your TOM.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Mine is similar.
    Every time I hit a new weight-group (200s, 190s, 180s), I get stuck at it for a week, then lose slow for a week, then lose big.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    i've been stuck between 150 & 149 for what seems like forever! and i hadn't even been watching what i ate friday and saturday and today i woke up and decided to weigh myself and i finally lost! .2 of a pound but it's better than the nothing that's been happening... it's a slow downward trend.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    in my particular case it used to happen, i think because whenever i went into a new "decade" i got all excited and didnt eat as carefully as when i was in a known "decade". just my personal experience, not saying thats your casse!

note: sorry for the lack of capitalization, im doing my best to post from my phone, lol.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Me too! And it has always seemed so ridiculous, because it's always when you get to set weights like that, it never happens at odd weights. It's not like our bodies can exactly read scales...
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    OMG, this did happen to me with my first "decade." I didn't lose or stayed relatively the same and then gained a couple of pounds before losing again. I just hit my second last week...oh now, now I'm scared to weigh in Wednesday. That's too odd!
  • tmacs
    tmacs Posts: 60
    in my particular case it used to happen, i think because whenever i went into a new "decade" i got all excited and didnt eat as carefully as when i was in a known "decade". just my personal experience, not saying thats your casse!

Smart thinking!
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    oh yes me too! i am so disappointed in my self. i go up and down so much en-fact i am up 40lbs since last year this time. I found myself at my best intent of exercising walking 6 miles a day 4 days a week, eating so good and up I went 5lbs, 6lbs down up 8 9 10 on and on up and down. Then we had some family issues that caused me to not be able to get my exercise in daily, old habits developed again and here I am today trying hard to get i40 lbs off again, part of it is my hormons and thyroid issues with me I am 53 going thru menopause. i have a non functioning metabolic system that I have to really work at getting it to burn.you are not alone but change up exercise , eat calories back atleast half of them. Dont give up it sucks to start over after how hard I worked to get 60lbs off! good luck!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Yep me too. You get used to the pattern so that after a while it doesn't bother you anymore! :)
  • Eireann15
    Eireann15 Posts: 124
    Oh gosh yes... same thing happens to me!! It's like my body is comfortable at a certain weight and doesn't let me stay lower... haha. Haven't quite figured it out yet.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Yup! I have been at the stall for a while. Dropped like 5# fairly quickly in April but have totally teetered at the brink of the 170's. Every time I have lost significant weight I reach a new "set point" where I just can't seem to budge. Each time I lose weight that set point is higher than it was before. Then I would eat less and exercise more but not lose and get all discouraged. Now I just keep eating as healthy as I can but be sure to maintain that 1200 threshold just to be sure I don't get crazy. The scale will move again I am sure, just damned slow now!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    I read on a MFP thread, that when that happens, its cuz you are suppose to then UP YOUR CALORIES and you will start to lose again :)
    So, far it has worked for me... Im up to about 1900 calories now and steadily losing faster then I was at 1200-1400 calories per day