poor pitiful me party today

bemoore81
bemoore81 Posts: 18
edited September 29 in Motivation and Support
Ok , here goes , I have been going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week for 2 months doing strentgh training classes , spin classes and zumba and when not at gym mowing yard or biking , in this time I pulled a muscle in my hip and now have shin splints , but i keep on keepin on. Oh , I forgot to mention I work a 40 plus hour job also. So am I asking myself why am I putting my 59 year old body thru this , after all I will be 60 in feb , who am I trying to impress ?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    You don't have to impress anyone. Just do it for yourself and your health! :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Me! You are trying to impress me!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Just do it so that you can see 100 and be able to enjoy it!!!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    You are trying ans succeeding in impressing yourself. As you said, you are 59 years old and look at all you can do! Simply awesome, no more pity party, celebrate doing awesome in your quest to get healthy! !
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I am impressed., staying active is how you stay young. And you know they say 60 is the new 40.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    You SHOULD be doing it for you and nobody else!
  • yourself
    good luck :)
  • I was *just* reading about the 1100% increase shin splints in "baby boomers" in a book yesterday. The doctor was very adamant about proper shoes.

(Honestly, I'm only 30, and the thought of "spin class" makes my knees sad. Heck no.)
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Yourself -to the most hottest chic in her 60s on the beach- to be the most healthiest in your lifetime-to live another 30 years-Good Luck!!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Impress? I think you already did it with all the other stuff you have going on.
    HOWEVER, Who are you doing this for? might be the better question... I hope the answer is for you ... for your health and well-being and your own sense of self. You really can't do this for other people, it might last for a while, but it won't be permanent unless YOU want it to be. I think you have it in you to make this work! And you certainly have support here. So, "who are you trying to impress?" Probably nobody. Who is worth the effort you are making? YOU ARE!
    Good luck and keep looking for support when you need it, I am pretty sure you will find it here!
    ((((HuG.Gs)))
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    YOU! you will impress yourself with all your hard work. and i'm impressed that after working a 40+ work week you hit the gym and take care of your yard. but having injuries, maybe you should take some time off. or do light exercise and let your body heal from it.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Well you impressed me if that helps - but Natersmama is right - you should be doing it SOLELY for yourself...
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    You shouldn't be trying to impress anyone but yourself. The exercise stuff should feel good, otherwise, why do it? Could you swim? Water aerobics? (Not just for seniors; they're killer workouts.) And hey I know about chronic pain; I have hi[p bursitis and arthritis in my knees - but sometimes powering through it isn't the best choice. Sometimes you have to find other options. They're out there. Just breathe, move and sweat.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    if you ARE losing weight to try and impress someone, you will fail. ( with the weight loss, not sure about the impressing someone part) your focus should be becoming a healthier, happier person for you and the people who need you. someone once said, and i thought it was pretty smart, that being the best you you can be is a gift you give those who need you the most. i have an 18 month old so that really hit home with me. this is about chaniging your life, not about getting others to envy you. when you start to feel like you are now, remember why you are really doing this and you won't fail!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    There is a quote that many runners call on. It is, "Someone who is busier than you is running right now."

And, it's right.

Working a full-time load at your age, is normal. You're not old. I have a few people in my MARATHON TRAINING GROUP who are 75-80. And they're kicking serious butt.

Shin splints and injuries happen to everyone. They suck, but they are really common.

We all should be getting in some physical activity in, no matter what... without trying to impress anyone. Because, it's good for your heart, your lungs, your stress level and your self esteem.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Ummm I have a guess that you are trying to impress the future you that will not need a hip replacement because #1 you are too strong for that and #2 you built all of that bone mass up at a young age.

Well, at least for me that and the "collateral circulation" gain exercisers have that helps if they ever have a heart attack or stroke is enough to get me moving. I have seen enough misery to know it isn't for me! Maybe time to change some of your goals: lift more weight, try a new class for a week, get better/ faster/ stronger... something small, achievable, and specific! Your dedication is inspiring!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    It's not about impressing anyone, it's about making that 60 yo body as healthy as a 40 yo body instead of being 60 and feeling 80. It's to improve the quality of your life and decrease the chances of worse injury and health issues in the present or future. It's so you can take that trail hike and enjoy the great outdoors instead of sitting around with some surly old ladies bickering over a game of cribbage. This is about you, not about the world around you. Get a better pair of shoes and get in to see a massuse and work on that hip (having similar problems). Also, don't forget to take it easy one day a week and let your body refresh and repair.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Ps I'll gladly trade your 8 pound loss for my 6 anyday :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    If you can impress Heather, that's impressive. I've been trying for months now and I've gotten a couple of "meh"s from her. It's why I keep going every day. Now stop whining and get on with your awesome life!!
    GunnyErmey1-1.jpg
  • I understand your feelings. Don't give up though! You should do it for HEALTH. We are only on this planet for so many years - live it the best you can and do what you enjoy.... but within reason. Doesn't it feel so much better to wake up in the morning when you feel good? Being overweight is very unhealthy (I was overweight from 16 yrs old - to 29 yrs old)!

Just get to a healthy weight you feel comfortable at.... we all don't have to be picture/bikini perfect. I know I'm not!

Good luck and stay positive.
This discussion has been closed.