activities for kids in the summer

Options
I have two boys 9 and 10. I have reduced the tv and video game time to about 30 minutes a day, but now I find it hard to find anything for them to do. We live in the desert its about 100-115 everyday, so its to hot to go outside. Any ideas to keep the kids busy during summer.

Replies

• ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    when you find some out, I would love to know because I also live in the desert and its just so hot outside the kids. They can't really do all the things that kids should do during the summer riding bikes and playing sports outside because of the heat. Next year I am hoping to move to Oregon so that will change =D
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sprinklers, water guns, if you have a trampoline put a sprinkler under it. I know you said its really hot where you live, but you can always take lots of water with you and purchase those little fan, water misters. Try a rock climbing wall, we have an indoor one at a department store in our mall, maybe you do too? Swimming at a rec center is always good exercise and good way to keep cool.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    oh my, that's hot!! all my ideas were outdoors.... but familyfun.com and pbskids.org/zoom has a lot of cool activities for kids. i work at an after school program and get a lot of my ideas from there, check it out! :) also, i always look in the clearance section of borders or whatever bookstore i'm in and i always get science project books or arts n crafts books, and harry potter is always awesome!!!!

good luck!!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Can you get one of the smaller pools? We got a three foot pool 12 feet across for under $100. There are larger ones for not too much more expense. That could help get them busy and active.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Reading, wriing, drawing, coloring. Building forts out of pillows and blankets (and playing in them). Check local art stores for craft kits that they might like (I've seen kits to build bird houses, Pine Box Derby style cars, dioramas, etc.).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Check around for an indoor trampoline place. There's quite a few popping up lately. Super fun, especially for that age.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If there is a kid's club around, get a member ship for them one near me has a pool and drop them off for a few hours. and go get your nails done. ;)
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    can you swim? or go out early before it gets too hot (does that even exist?), math games are fun with post-it's ; or write clues on post-its leading to something in the house (popsicle, a game set up...). , dance around, card games (sounds horrible but my son learned how to play black jack because it helped with math skills), crafts, build a tent with sheets and "camp out" but in :)
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Reading, wriing, drawing, coloring. Building forts out of pillows and blankets (and playing in them). Check local art stores for craft kits that they might like (I've seen kits to build bird houses, Pine Box Derby style cars, dioramas, etc.).

oooh, build a rocket!
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Check around for an indoor trampoline place. There's quite a few popping up lately. Super fun, especially for that age.

we have something like this in our neighborhood, but its the large blowup climbers, its called bounce it out. Kids love it! and they are always air conditioned.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library - most libraries have a summer reading program, my local library not only has books available for check out - but they have movies (DVDs & VHS), books on tape/CD, board games, etc... They also have a Lego group that meets a couple times a week. You could check out a book on home science projects....have you ever fried an egg on the sidewalk? I did that with my son - not a whole lot of exercise but it was loads of fun.

My daughter has been doing lots of crafts (she's 9) and been doing the reading program. We have the Wii and I have them do the Wii Fit for an hour a day- that helps keep them active (somewhat).

There are lots of stuff you can do in the summer sometimes you just have to be creative. :)