Gaining Weight...

Options
It's only been a week, but I've gained 3 pounds instead of losing any! Can someone look at my diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I took a quick glance and you've been over on calories. Also, you're eating a lot of stuff that's probably high in sodium but I can't tell since you're not tracking that. Stay under goal, drink a lot of water, and cut back on the sodium.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your water intake because it is usually zero. you need to drink more water and cut back a little on the calories.

Also is it TOM?
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well I see you've gone over your total calories for 3 consecutive days. However by the amount of calories it shouldn't make a 3lb gain.
    I would say you have a lot of starches and may want to cut out the 'white' and go with whole grain.
    Are you actually measuring your food or guestimating? I know I personally have a tendancy to give myself bigger portions. Now I weigh or measure everything.

Keep at it. Everyone is different!
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to lose only 1 pound per week, so you can eat a bit more-- and do not go over it. If you then excercise 3500 a week, if you don't eat back the calories, you will lose a second pound from exercise if you really want to. I think you're trying to lose weight too fast and going over your calories too often.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I took a quick glance and you've been over on calories. Also, you're eating a lot of stuff that's probably high in sodium but I can't tell since you're not tracking that. Stay under goal, drink a lot of water, and cut back on the sodium.

^^^What she said^^^
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

If she is only over 100 - 200 calories she should still lose weight. If you would have looked back further you would have noticed that she had been under by 350 a couple days, which would even this out.

OP, are you exercising?
    Did you weigh in the same both times? (morning, after using restroom, no clothes, before eating and shower)

Thinking about how much you ate yesterday, it could be extra food consumed.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    many things can factor, are you eating a lot of sodium and not alot of water drinking?? in 24 hours period i gained three pounds then lost 4.. water weight has a lot to do with it.. Just drink more water i bet it will go away
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Past 2 days you've had quite a bit of sodium. Sodium can cause water retention, making you weigh more on the scale but really is just extra water hanging around in your body. Drink a lot of water today!

This is your first week on the site, but is it your first week doing exercises, too? If so, new exercise routines almost always cause water retention - another reason to see a higher number on the scale. As your muscles get used to the routine the water will pass and you will see a loss in weight.

You are doing very well on calorie counts and macro work, just the sodium for 2 days was all I saw as a trouble area. You have a very good amount of fiber/carb/fat each day. Maybe there is some way to add in more protein but that is being nitpicky :) You are doing well.

With the high amount of fiber each day you will require a lot of water to let things pass through your intestines ok. If you aren't drinking enough, it is very possible you are backed up down there, also contributing to a gain.

So, drink lots and lots of water! And keep an eye on your sodium :)
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    If you just started exercising that could also be it. When your muscles are sore (or even if they aren't but are doing exercises they aren't used to) then you will have water retention in your muscles as they are trying to repair. That weight should come off in a week or so.

Other than that it is possible that it's sodium.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Her sodium isn't that bad, only 2 days of trouble. Her calories are over by 239 for the week, not a cause of weight gain at all considering she is at a deficit of likely 3500 for the week. She should have ( in a perfect world ) still dropped 0.8 lbs or so.

I think it is more the exercise and the water (which we can't tell how much you are drinking).
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was downing water yesterday like nothing else, probably had about 10 cups or so... At first I thought it was water weight too, so thats why I drank a lot yesterday. I'm a flexitarian (I don't eat meat often, but I do on occasion) so could it be that I haven't had meat in over 2 weeks?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest cutting back on the "nighttime snacks". For me anyway, I lose better not having much, if anything, after dinner. can you manage more calories at breakfast? I try to get about 2/3-3/4 of my day's calories in before dinner. Some theories say that if you eat more during the day you'll use them up better by being active. if you eat a lot before going to bed, those calories will just sit there and not go away as easily. Also, drink lots of water, and watch sodium, too.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Also, I just added on sodium, but the Moroccan Stew was homemade (so the sodium might be off) and I didn't add any salt, and it was about 95% fresh veggies.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I was going to suggest cutting back on the "nighttime snacks". For me anyway, I lose better not having much, if anything, after dinner. can you manage more calories at breakfast? I try to get about 2/3-3/4 of my day's calories in before dinner. Some theories say that if you eat more during the day you'll use them up better by being active. if you eat a lot before going to bed, those calories will just sit there and not go away as easily. Also, drink lots of water, and watch sodium, too.

Thing is that I stay up till 3AM. I'll challenge you not to eat anything between 7 and 3 lol. Thats why my breakfasts are so light, because I have lunch an hour after so theres no need to eat much
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Thing is that I stay up till 3AM. I'll challenge you not to eat anything between 7 and 3 lol.
    svengo.gif OK, you got me there. And I don't know you well enough to suggest just going to bed at 11. :laugh:
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Thing is that I stay up till 3AM. I'll challenge you not to eat anything between 7 and 3 lol.
    svengo.gif OK, you got me there. And I don't know you well enough to suggest just going to bed at 11. :laugh:

I try, but I can't seem to fall asleep before 2. Also, I'm most productive at night :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weight loss goal at? I've read several things lately suggesting that those of use close to our goal should NOT be at 2lbs a week. 1 or more likely 0.5 lbs/ week will produce more sustainable weight loss.

I was beating myself up because I kept going over my 1lb/week goal. Turns out I was eating at the same level of a 0.5lb/week goal. I've lost 3lbs in like a week (really it was a random 3 days but I think I was holding some water weight so I'm not really sure how fast it came off).
  • bonniejo
    Options
    What do you have your weight loss goal at? I've read several things lately suggesting that those of use close to our goal should NOT be at 2lbs a week. 1 or more likely 0.5 lbs/ week will produce more sustainable weight loss.

I was beating myself up because I kept going over my 1lb/week goal. Turns out I was eating at the same level of a 0.5lb/week goal. I've lost 3lbs in like a week (really it was a random 3 days but I think I was holding some water weight so I'm not really sure how fast it came off).

I am at 1 lb/week, but I've gone over a couple times. I figure if I'm feeling super hungry I need to eat something (good for me) and hope for the best. If I was at .5 I'm afraid I'd go over still.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options

Thing is that I stay up till 3AM. I'll challenge you not to eat anything between 7 and 3 lol. Thats why my breakfasts are so light, because I have lunch an hour after so theres no need to eat much

Not that it matters but if you want to cutout the nighttime snacks the way to do it is to simply... STOP. Sure, the first few nights will be rough but once you wean your body off of eating at that time you'll be less likely to have hunger pangs. (Again, not that eating late at night really makes a difference good or bad.)

As far as your diary, I would suggest logging your sugar intake. It looks like a lot of what you eat is sugar-heavy.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your calories are fine, not anything to cause 3 lbs.

Your sodium level WAS however astronomical this weekend.

Cut the sodium some and weigh again. Chances are it was just water weight.