Fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I agree - it is annoying.

By "media" standards, I'm sure that I'm considered just huge, but I'm within a healthy BMI, I'm fit again, and I wear a size 8 (some 6's, some 4's, even still have some 10's) - I'm staying right here! I was even becoming a bit obsessed on here, trying to lose more weight, when my body is clearly comfortable right here!

Good luck to all you strong ladies - and find a healthy weight that is right for you! I think women deserve to feel good about themselves, AND eat regularly! :tongue:
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Yeah, Dove is doing pretty good, with their workshops and whatnot.
    But these dieting pill companies are driving me up the wall.
    I understand that being like...really overweight is unhealthy and all, but what's with the promoting of deathly-sick looking people? I don't get it. I've always been attracted to more curvy people...it makes me upset that so many people are telling people they're ugly when they're really not.

Do you use Facebook? For some reason, everytime I log on, it says, "32 and overweight - try super Fad Diet" or something like that - I mean, what is THAT about?!?!?! Why do their marketing people assume that every woman wants or needs to lose weight???
    :huh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I don't know-- personally, I'm better looking 28 pounds lighter-- Companies know people want to look their best, which generally means weighing less, so market their products thus.

Yeah, maybe, but all the same they try to stuck this idea in your had that only the skinny tiny figures are appealing and all that. The media just keeps bombing us with slim girls and keeps commenting on everyone who gained 2 pounds until we all want to drop the last cm of "fat" just to be what the media (hence everyone, right? :angry: ) likes. I'm actually also terribly mad at this :mad: . Thanks for bringing it up, it allows me to vent :).

Well, "they" aren't sticking any idea in my head-- all I have to do is look in the mirror, for heaven's sake. I look better now that my stomach is INSIDE my jeans not hanging over it. I mean, come on ladies-- aren't there enough REAL issues in our world that we have to waste energy fretting over this one?

I don't care what the media says or what society thinks. I know I look better weighing less, and if they want to market all of the "easy, pain free" ways to look like Keira Knightly (a wafer thin, too thin, ghostly thin young lady-- ) so be it. What do I care?

And with Oprah, oh my-- we also now know that she didn't lose her weight way back when healthily-- so, yeah, she looked sickly. And yes, she's a beautiful woman when she's fat-- but, she was a lot better looking when she took off the weight years back by diet and exercise.

I don't want to be a pin-up girl-- as if-- but, I do want to be thinner, and in my opinion, prettier--
  • spazmother0727
    spazmother0727 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am there right with you... All that crap just makes me want to scream. My nieces have this feeling like they are fat and so on because that is all they see is diet ads, you won't be beautiful unless you have this ad and so on. They are 12 and 13!

Society is so sad when it comes to that kind of crap... Twiggy celebrities.

I agree with Dove, they really ARE speaking to real women in a positive way! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE DOVE!
  • AJCM
    Options
    I don't know-- personally, I'm better looking 28 pounds lighter-- Companies know people want to look their best, which generally means weighing less, so market their products thus.

Yeah, maybe, but all the same they try to stuck this idea in your had that only the skinny tiny figures are appealing and all that. The media just keeps bombing us with slim girls and keeps commenting on everyone who gained 2 pounds until we all want to drop the last cm of "fat" just to be what the media (hence everyone, right? :angry: ) likes. I'm actually also terribly mad at this :mad: . Thanks for bringing it up, it allows me to vent :).

Well, "they" aren't sticking any idea in my head-- all I have to do is look in the mirror, for heaven's sake. I look better now that my stomach is INSIDE my jeans not hanging over it. I mean, come on ladies-- aren't there enough REAL issues in our world that we have to waste energy fretting over this one?

I don't care what the media says or what society thinks. I know I look better weighing less, and if they want to market all of the "easy, pain free" ways to look like Keira Knightly (a wafer thin, too thin, ghostly thin young lady-- ) so be it. What do I care?

And with Oprah, oh my-- we also now know that she didn't lose her weight way back when healthily-- so, yeah, she looked sickly. And yes, she's a beautiful woman when she's fat-- but, she was a lot better looking when she took off the weight years back by diet and exercise.

I don't want to be a pin-up girl-- as if-- but, I do want to be thinner, and in my opinion, prettier--

I hear you, but don't you find it frustrating that normal, healthy women are called "fat" in the media? The concern really is for young girls, and young women (see note above - I LOVE my curvy, healthy body now, even though by Hollywood standards I would be considered "fat").

I just read an article about two dancing pros from "Dancing with the Stars" (okay, yeah, I watch that show) and the article talked about two "fat" dancers - one weighing 125lbs and one 130 lbs - there is no way that either one would be larger than a size four, maybe a six, and neither one would have a BMI anywhere close to overweight. So what's up with that?
    :ohwell:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Great comment, great vent, and I totally agree. When I see someone who looks like they need a frikkin Big Mac and they have no curves, I think to myself "Gee isn't it too bad God forgot to give her a butt!"
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Okay so...I know we're all here because of our weight (some to lose, some to gain, some to maintain what they have already..)

But I'd just like to state that I'm REALLY tired of the dieting adds.
    I see them on TV, on the internet...I've actually heard them on the radio...I'M SICK OF IT! :noway:
    I'm tired of having society's take on beauty shoved down my throat.
    It's ridiculous. :mad:
    I happen to think that people of ALL shapes and sizes are absolutely gorgeous!
    WHERE ARE THE ADDS ON THAT?! :explode:

[P.S....
    sorry if I've wasted your time. I just had to get that off my chest :flowerforyou: hehe]

awwwwwww come on now....dont YOU want to lose 30 pounds in 30 minutes! I DO!!
    00020159.gif
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    Your not the first to have that rant sis, it's ok. :flowerforyou: I think that just about every one of us has either posted that, or agreed to it elsewhere, so NO your not wasting our time! And LovelyLady is right, just for the record. :tongue:

Okay, good. haha. And thank you both :blushing:
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    Okay so...I know we're all here because of our weight (some to lose, some to gain, some to maintain what they have already..)

But I'd just like to state that I'm REALLY tired of the dieting adds.
    I see them on TV, on the internet...I've actually heard them on the radio...I'M SICK OF IT! :noway:
    I'm tired of having society's take on beauty shoved down my throat.
    It's ridiculous. :mad:
    I happen to think that people of ALL shapes and sizes are absolutely gorgeous!
    WHERE ARE THE ADDS ON THAT?! :explode:

[P.S....
    sorry if I've wasted your time. I just had to get that off my chest :flowerforyou: hehe]

awwwwwww come on now....dont YOU want to lose 30 pounds in 30 minutes! I DO!!
    00020159.gif

Not really....I don't dig the saggy skin look :wink:
  • Marla64
    Options

I hear you, but don't you find it frustrating that normal, healthy women are called "fat" in the media? The concern really is for young girls, and young women (see note above - I LOVE my curvy, healthy body now, even though by Hollywood standards I would be considered "fat").

I just read an article about two dancing pros from "Dancing with the Stars" (okay, yeah, I watch that show) and the article talked about two "fat" dancers - one weighing 125lbs and one 130 lbs - there is no way that either one would be larger than a size four, maybe a six, and neither one would have a BMI anywhere close to overweight. So what's up with that?

Well, the media you all keep referring to I believe would be basically the paparazzi whose sole purpose is to ruffle some feathers, poke a little fun at the rich, take some unflattering pictures and sell gossip rags at the newstands. When Walter Cronkite (just to pick a noteworthy "news" guy) starts mocking Jennifer Love Hewitt for gaining weight, then I'll worry.

As for young girls, as mothers it's OUR job to teach them about these issues, nobody else's. I don't care what the media thinks about anything-- and society has a plethora of stances on issues that are harmful to our kids, and it's our job to sift through 'em and protect them and teach them better.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :wink: You Rock Marla!:drinker:
    I was thinking the same thing today watching t.v. A weight-loss clinic in Cincinnati has a commercial where the doctor says "Fat isn't your fault!!!!! It's a disease!!!!!! Call for the new lap band."

HA HA Well, umm...I would love to blame on it someone else but I am the one who chose to eat all the unhealthy stuff and drink only Coke. My fat WAS/IS my fault! :devil:

See, now when I said that once everyone got mad at me-- must be in the delivery-- or that little dancing Peanuts dude of yours. :wink:
  • GlassKisses
    Options

Well, the media you all keep referring to I believe would be basically the paparazzi whose sole purpose is to ruffle some feathers, poke a little fun at the rich, take some unflattering pictures and sell gossip rags at the newstands. When Walter Cronkite (just to pick a noteworthy "news" guy) starts mocking Jennifer Love Hewitt for gaining weight, then I'll worry.

As for young girls, as mothers it's OUR job to teach them about these issues, nobody else's. I don't care what the media thinks about anything-- and society has a plethora of stances on issues that are harmful to our kids, and it's our job to sift through 'em and protect them and teach them better.

I'm not a mother, but if/when I am one, I'll definitely be teaching my children better than to listen to the media all the time. I'd prefer that my children learn to think for themselves and see that they're beautiful, instead of getting sucked in to what everyone else is thinking. And that goes for everything else, too. I wany my children to think for themselves.
  • Marla64
    Options

I'm not a mother, but if/when I am one, I'll definitely be teaching my children better than to listen to the media all the time. I'd prefer that my children learn to think for themselves and see that they're beautiful, instead of getting sucked in to what everyone else is thinking. And that goes for everything else, too. I wany my children to think for themselves.
    [/quote]

Well, now, yes-- amen! There ya go-- that's what I'm sayin' !! And your children will learn they're beautiful if you teach them that they're beautiful-- bravo.
  • Marla64
    Options
    :laugh: :wink: You Rock Marla!:drinker:
    I was thinking the same thing today watching t.v. A weight-loss clinic in Cincinnati has a commercial where the doctor says "Fat isn't your fault!!!!! It's a disease!!!!!! Call for the new lap band."

HA HA Well, umm...I would love to blame on it someone else but I am the one who chose to eat all the unhealthy stuff and drink only Coke. My fat WAS/IS my fault! :devil:

See, now when I said that once everyone got mad at me-- must be in the delivery-- or that little dancing Peanuts dude of yours. :wink:

A little bird showed me I need to be myself and open up-- :bigsmile: watch out MFP-- :wink:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I don't worry about the effect that these ads have on adults. Most of us have grown up trying to decide what to listen to in the media and what to ignore. We have our own opinions at this point and know when to yell at obnoxious ads. (I usually yell at diet pill ads, too. So misleading!)

But... I worry about the effect it has on children, especially girls. I don't want my children (if/when I have them of course :laugh: ) growing up hating their bodies b/c everyone on TV is a size 2. If they have my genes, they won't be!
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    I don't worry about the effect that these ads have on adults. Most of us have grown up trying to decide what to listen to in the media and what to ignore. We have our own opinions at this point and know when to yell at obnoxious ads. (I usually yell at diet pill ads, too. So misleading!)

But... I worry about the effect it has on children, especially girls. I don't want my children (if/when I have them of course :laugh: ) growing up hating their bodies b/c everyone on TV is a size 2. If they have my genes, they won't be!

Yeah, I don't think my children will be tiny boys/girls either.
    I don't think I can get below a size 9 because of my bone structure (and don't want to, either)
    My sons/daughters will probably have large bone structures and never be able to be teeny :tongue: lol
  • Marla64
    Options

Here's my beef, though-- not the diet ads-- but the media adoration of the celebrities who have "gained their baby bodies back," blah, blah, blah-- and how wonderful and miraculous and admirable it is-- puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeze-- these ladies have nurses, nannies, chefs, cleaning ladies, chauffeurs, personal trainers, nutritionists-- and God bless them. Good for them-- how much fun that must be!! But, I'm not impressed. Show me a homeschooling mom of 9 doing it on a shoestring budget with stress out her wazoo, battling a life-long demon and I'll be impressed-- (yes, I know, doesn't sound too humble right now-- but you get my point-- what they do isn't impressive, what us average Janes are doing here IS!!)
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Here's my beef, though-- not the diet ads-- but the media adoration of the celebrities who have "gained their baby bodies back," blah, blah, blah-- and how wonderful and miraculous and admirable it is-- puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeze-- these ladies have nurses, nannies, chefs, cleaning ladies, chauffeurs, personal trainers, nutritionists-- and God bless them. Good for them-- how much fun that must be!! But, I'm not impressed. Show me a homeschooling mom of 9 doing it on a shoestring budget with stress out her wazoo, battling a life-long demon and I'll be impressed-- (yes, I know, doesn't sound too humble right now-- but you get my point-- what they do isn't impressive, what us average Janes are doing here IS!!)

hi5-1.gif Yeah. What she said. :wink:
  • GlassKisses
    Options

I like the way you think :drinker: