Pulled hip flexor?

Options
Hey everyone!

I've technically been a myfitnesspal member since January but have done it half-heartedly, but today marks the day I am starting hardcore! In an example of really bad timing, I hurt myself running this morning, on day 1!

My left hip flexor has bothered me a little bit in the past, usually if I overwork it by running every day. It hasn't bothered me at all this summer until Friday, when I noticed it was sore after my run. I took the weekend off from running and did other forms of exercise instead, so I thought today I'd be good to go. I made sure to stretch really well, but two miles into my run, I literally couldn't run any farther. It was like my hip kind of locked up and I had to hobble a mile home because I could barely walk.

Is this a hip flexor injury like a pulled muscle, or could it be something else like a stress fracture? I'm really hoping by icing it and just walking instead of running for a few days will help it heal. I can't get off track again, when I'm just starting fresh! I was really hoping to up my mileage over the next few months. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you could barely walk home, I think this might warrant a trip urgent care, or at least your primary care provider. Could be something serious.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
  • zsesteacher
    zsesteacher Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also hurt my hip from jogging...I guess I'm still on the heavy side to jog but taking medication and it seems like its working...have to sleep on the sofa since I can sleep on my left side...on my bed I have to sleep on my left side so i can't sleep on it ;( ...I hope you feel better...I went to the doctor and got some pain killers and muscle relaxers and they been helping alot...hope you feel better....take care!!!!

Yvette :wink:
  • paulhayden
    Options
    Find a GOOD chiropractor and/or massage therapist. I have my chiropractor and massage therapist working on my psoas muscle right now, a hip flexor. My pain has been constant and causing a severe pinching in my hip/groin. A good chiropractor though can help keep your whole body in alignment, which you really need if you are doing a lot of running/exercise to help your body perform at it's optimal leval.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Find a GOOD chiropractor and/or massage therapist. I have my chiropractor and massage therapist working on my psoas muscle right now, a hip flexor. My pain has been constant and causing a severe pinching in my hip/groin. A good chiropractor though can help keep your whole body in alignment, which you really need if you are doing a lot of running/exercise to help your body perform at it's optimal leval.

THIS! Also, if your hips are off it could translate to knee pain and pain in your lower back! Find a chiro that does ART. Don't let it get worse and it probably won't get better on it's own.
  • caitles14
    caitles14 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up going to urgent care but they didn't really do much except tell me to take ibuprofen. I'm going to keep icing it too so hopefully it will get better quickly.